BaJiQuan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dealing with Eczema and High-Protein Diet

Hello memebers of bodybuilding.com,

I've currently started weight training about 1 1/2 months ago and everything seems to be ok in terms of havin my muscles stimulated and a bit stronger. But my problem now is the diet. I have eczema, so this is REALLY difficult for me to figure out a right diet to sustain a good high protein diet. Since diary products do cause a bit of a problem for my skin, using Whey protein is even worse.

I've noticed lately that my skin condition has gotten worse, I've had more frequent night scratches as well as scaling around the skin of my hands. This RARELY( and i really emphasize rarely) happens to me because I've always been very conscience about avoiding food that irritate my skin. Anyways, I've read a lot on whey powder substitutes on this site already, such as soy protein and egg protein powders. But I'm a bit unsure about using them...I'm more worried about its effectiveness as well as the price. Although I have not seen the actual prices yet, I was wondering if anyone uses a substitute for whey protein or even a milk substitues ( I mention milk substitute because I've been drinking milk for quite a while and although it does cause a bit of slight skin irritation, its ignorable because i've rarely had cases in which it has caused a large problem for me).

So to wrap everything up (and now that you guys know of the condition I'm dealing with):

1. Which kind of protein powder/substitute would be best to replace whey protein powders?

2. Which kind can i get that is the most inexpensive as well as easiest to consume?

siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000)
    You don't need powders. Start supporting the egg industry.

xlmaxim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BaJiQuan View Post

I've currently started weight training about 1 1/2 months ago and everything seems to be ok in terms of havin my muscles stimulated and a bit stronger. But my problem now is the diet. I have eczema, so this is REALLY difficult for me to figure out a right diet to sustain a good high protein diet. Since diary products do cause a bit of a problem for my skin, using Whey protein is even worse.

I've noticed lately that my skin condition has gotten worse, I've had more frequent night scratches as well as scaling around the skin of my hands. This RARELY( and i really emphasize rarely) happens to me because I've always been very conscience about avoiding food that irritate my skin. Anyways, I've read a lot on whey powder substitutes on this site already, such as soy protein and egg protein powders. But I'm a bit unsure about using them...I'm more worried about its effectiveness as well as the price. Although I have not seen the actual prices yet, I was wondering if anyone uses a substitute for whey protein or even a milk substitues ( I mention milk substitute because I've been drinking milk for quite a while and although it does cause a bit of slight skin irritation, its ignorable because i've rarely had cases in which it has caused a large problem for me).

So to wrap everything up (and now that you guys know of the condition I'm dealing with):

1. Which kind of protein powder/substitute would be best to replace whey protein powders?

2. Which kind can i get that is the most inexpensive as well as easiest to consume?
    See a dermatologist, there is no point in making drastic changes to your diet if you are not sure what's making it worse.

While on accutane, I experienced some Eczema on the back of my arms, I started using lotion after the shower and it went away. The first thing the dermatologist will tell you is too lotion up

Smaller, Stronger, Faster gjohnson5's Avatar
    gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Infact I would avoid powder milk proteins all together. Skin disorders is a common side effect of milk allergy. I agree with the poster that eggs are the solution and they cost a whole dollar in the supermarket

*edit*
    Chicken is also a good replacement at times
    *edit*

Originally Posted by siamesedream View Post
    You don't need powders. Start supporting the egg industry.
    Last edited by gjohnson5; 07-09-2007 at 02:17 AM.

BaJiQuan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmmm. I do want to try using eggs as a main source of protein, but it just seems so inconvenient. I really wanted a powder that didn't contain anything that would agitate my eczema. Plus, during the time i was using whey, it really helped and it was so much better than eating a sandwhich and everything. I fought one drink and a small snack could cover about 3 out 6 of my evenly spaced out meals. That's somewhat why i kind of needed a bit of recommendations to which kind of powder is best. I know it may not work for you guys, but it really does for me, the convenience is just so good for me.
    I've been looking into egg protein powders...but i would kinda like to know whether that can agitate eczema?..I doubt it will since only the whites of the eggs are used in its processing right?

Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Would whey isolate affect eczema? I buy mine for around 10$/lb

Smaller, Stronger, Faster gjohnson5's Avatar
    gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Eczema is a symptom of cow's milk allergy, So yes

Originally Posted by Sibrek View Post
    Would whey isolate affect eczema? I buy mine for around 10$/lb

Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just try egg protein powders if you really want to drink protein. Can't say I've ever used them but if they are like the ones from days past, they are like chalk. Try one out and see how it goes. It costs about the same as whey.

Cheers

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution snwdevl10's Avatar
    snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hmmm. I do want to try using eggs as a main source of protein, but it just seems so inconvenient. I really wanted a powder that didn't contain anything that would agitate my eczema. Plus, during the time i was using whey, it really helped and it was so much better than eating a sandwhich and everything. I fought one drink and a small snack could cover about 3 out 6 of my evenly spaced out meals. That's somewhat why i kind of needed a bit of recommendations to which kind of powder is best. I know it may not work for you guys, but it really does for me, the convenience is just so good for me.
    I've been looking into egg protein powders...but i would kinda like to know whether that can agitate eczema?..I doubt it will since only the whites of the eggs are used in its processing right?
    You could try dried egg whites, they are pretty cheap and a great source of protein. Rose Acre Farms sells some http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/rose/egg.html and if you look around you can probably find them cheaper.

Ripsaw3689 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripsaw3689 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i also have eczema but i dont find my diet to cause it to worsen, get some cream from the doctor, it will help a lot
    "Walk in to this world, with your head up high!" - Deftones

NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50) NR_LIFT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Strong bump. I cant touch any milk, whey, eggs, citrus, cheese, tuna and even bloody coffee without it flaring up. Getting enough protein in without those foods is becoming ridiculous............

4trocious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eggs n almond milk vanilla essence blend it in a shake if you cant have milk whey eggs citrus cheese tuna or coffee i would tell you eat chicken vegetables n rice and eat it 4 times a day 200grams meat 200 grams veggies n a big bowl of rice leave the rice out first thing in the morning n just after gym otherwise eat it before gym n at dinner time thats it well thats what i do increase the amount of food if you wna gain weight of the same **** its boring as fk but it wont fk up your eczema also green shakes in the morning blend kale pear/noseeds n squeeze a lemon with purified water a knob of ginger if you can also have it. also add coconut oil here n there

Exploitation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Exploitation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Yea man you don't need the powders

AUSumadinac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I also get eczema. I am not really sure of the triggers as from day to day what I eat and my mental/emotional state on occasion trigger it but other times do not. I have noticed that when I eat a higher protein diet, that on average I get the dreaded 'itch'.

Especially say when I have worked out hard during the day and possibly not drunk enough water. On occasion I might train twice a day (morning weights and cardio night) as a consequence I might have a protein shake following each work out. The night scratches/itch is horrendous! I have tried drinking a lot more water prior, during and after to no real avail.

I use a soy/pea based protein with little/no preservatives. I did try the whey based proteins and found that I would not only bloat up like a blimp (and the farts that come with that) but the itch were unbearable! It's hard to find a good clean preservative free protein powder, so I would recommend just experimenting with different protein powders and see which one works for you. Also, to assist it may be a good idea to try taking pro-biotics. I have found that taking pro-biotics assists to digest things that generally would set off the eczema.

Obviously if you are not moisturizing regularly (I have been told 2-3 times a day) you are not doing yourself any favors.

As with above replies, try eggs. Assuming you do not have an egg allergy, which is common in people who have ezcema. As for convenience, I am sorry but I would argue that a hard boiled egg is just as convenient as a protein shake lol

Good Luck