DonColliau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hack Squat and Leg Press

I am new to weight lifting and VERY new to leg exercises. Can someone explain the difference of these two excercises and which one would be the best to start with. I eventually would like to get to bb squat once I have a spotter..
    Tonight I did hack squat, extensions, curls, and calf raises. Should I add the leg press to that or do one or the other.

Thanks
    Don

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    start with bb squatting. don't need a spotter - do it in the power rack.

also, careful w/ hack squatting; they can be brutal on the knees.
    <->

I don't work out, I train xplosiveDL's Avatar
    xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    it's just like this
    Attached Images
    If a guy is muscular but cant lift worth **** he is nuthing but a cosmetic pussy ,non functional muscle size =pointless silicon implants as far as i `m concerned

-> A-Rod

You want big muscles, girly man? Find big rock. Pick up big rock. Raise big rock overhead. Repeat as neccesary.

-> rent-a-lambo

Fit_4_Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want your legs to grow and like me don't have a spotter - start doing your squats on a Smith Machine.

And do them (squats and presses) both. For me these are not an either/or exercise. I have found the squats to be great for creating my "sweep" and presses for adding overall size and strength to my legs.

I have seen the greatest strength gains combining both exercises. I too am new to lifting and have been able to reach 295x3 (squats) and 480x3 (presses) since March.

When you give the Smith squats a shot tell us how they went.
    The great successful people...
    create their mental picture, and
    then go to work materializing that picture...

xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Fit_4_Life
    If you want your legs to grow and like me don't have a spotter - start doing your squats on a Smith Machine.
    Don't do that. Squats on smith machine are nothing compared to real squats. Not having a spotter will make sure you don't go to failure, and squats are super easy to get out of
    If a guy is muscular but cant lift worth **** he is nuthing but a cosmetic pussy ,non functional muscle size =pointless silicon implants as far as i `m concerned

-> A-Rod

You want big muscles, girly man? Find big rock. Pick up big rock. Raise big rock overhead. Repeat as neccesary.

-> rent-a-lambo

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    it's like people fail to understand what a power rack.
    <->

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xplosiveDL
    it's just like this
    BUMP. I'd give a rep if it let me !

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by GGHT
    BUMP. I'd give a rep if it let me !
    Don't worry, I've done it
    That was classic. LMAO

thanks guys. I am going to start with bb squats on my next leg day

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you've just started man are you goin to ACHE the next couple of days after, but it's all good!
    As a newb you could get away with just ATG (ass-to-grass) squatting for a number of sessions.

Originally Posted by DonColliau
    thanks guys. I am going to start with bb squats on my next leg day
    and then when you become more experienced w/ them u can move onto front squatting
    <->

sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    is this the don colliau that was so good at nascar online?

Originally Posted by $AJ
    it's like people fail to understand what a power rack.
    that's an unfinished thought ^

-> A-Rod

-> rent-a-lambo

that's an unfinished thought ^
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    and that's whoring

-> A-Rod

-> rent-a-lambo

Fit_4_Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't do that. Squats on smith machine are nothing compared to real squats. Not having a spotter will make sure you don't go to failure, and squats are super easy to get out of
    I may not completely disagree with you. But, switched over to power rack squats on Monday. Not sure of the difference between the two. I felt the weight more on my shoulders than anywhere. First couple of sets it took some getting used to (balance). Here's my Monday leg routine:

Leg Extensions 130x12*, 140x12*

Squats 135x15*, 205x12, 230x10, 245x8x2, 265x5, 275x5, 305x3

Leg Press 430x12, 450x10, 470x8, 490x7, 520x3

Superset Leg Extensions 140x12x2, Leg Curls 80x12x2
    The great successful people...
    create their mental picture, and
    then go to work materializing that picture...

Originally Posted by sir spanksalot
    is this the don colliau that was so good at nascar online?

WAS so good? LOL I still race all the time! Whoe are you?