Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are your quads usually sore after squatting?

Mine are and at 1st, it felt good (ok, no miloman quotes here please, lol). But it starts getting bothersome. They are usually sore the next 2 days after squatting. The reps/sets/poundage have almost always been the same for the past few weeks. I nearly flipped down the stairs in a bid to get down faster to catch the train just, lol. I wish I could feel the soreness at the other body parts, like chest, arms, back.

Aetolos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mine usually are minimally sore. But it's not just squatting I do so I can't tell you if it's ONLY from the squats. I do them as well as leg pres and leg extensions.

Make sure you are getting a good cool down and stretch in. This will drastically reduce soreness. Run like 10 minutes at a relaxed pace then stretch all your leg muscles out good and you should be fine.
    2005 PIAA Track & Field State Championships - Lane 4, here I come.

Go Eagles!

Bob Wills wannabe cowboyathlete's Avatar
    cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by zxcager
    Mine are and at 1st, it felt good (ok, no miloman quotes here please, lol). But it starts getting bothersome. They are usually sore the next 2 days after squatting. The reps/sets/poundage have almost always been the same for the past few weeks. I nearly flipped down the stairs in a bid to get down faster to catch the train just, lol. I wish I could feel the soreness at the other body parts, like chest, arms, back.
    Soreness may simply mean you are pushing your limit on squats. Make sure you are using good form, get lots of protein, stretching, and rest.
    1. I thought all along you'd be the death of me, but I met one tonight who wants what's left of me!
    2. You are so full of s***, maintenance is still unclogging the toilet.
    3. Save a horse, ride a cowboy!
    4. This mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist.
    5. I'd like to check you for ticks.

soysauce021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stretch more during your workouts to reduce the soreness you will get. Also i hop on the bike for a good 15-20 minutes after my leg workouts and it seems to help for me.

daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Depending on how many sets I do, yes.

3 sets and I'm sore for two days at least. 2 sets and the soreness is much less severe. I dare say one set might get rid of the soreness entirely.
    "We know Burns has the trillion dollar bill somewhere in his house, but all we've been able to ascertain from satellite photos is that it's not on the roof".

www.daninthemix.com

LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Quads.....not really

Hams/Ass......very
    In 1945, Adolf Hilter died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied, "I am responsible for the massacre of millions" Satan said, "well done, sit to the right of my throne." In 1953, Joseph Stalin died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied "I killed millions to stay in power" Satan said "good, sit to my left" 2010, Ronnie James Dio died and went to Hell, Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" Dio replied, "Bitch, get the fuk off my throne!"

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LatsMakeTheMan
    Quads.....not really

Hams/Ass......very

yep. Same here.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Since i do mostly singles and triples i `m not very sore the next day
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=354192

I actually posted something similar before reading your post, check the above link. So I'm not alone. : )

miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miltoney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quads.....not really

Hams/Ass......very
    same here

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Quads.....not really

Hams/Ass......very
    Bump.

zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Aetolos
    Mine usually are minimally sore. But it's not just squatting I do so I can't tell you if it's ONLY from the squats. I do them as well as leg pres and leg extensions.

Make sure you are getting a good cool down and stretch in. This will drastically reduce soreness. Run like 10 minutes at a relaxed pace then stretch all your leg muscles out good and you should be fine.

Oh yea, you're right, I do leg press and extension after the 3 sets of squats.

Originally Posted by Horns9
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=354192

I actually posted something similar before reading your post, check the above link. So I'm not alone. : )

haha, thanks for your link, so it's DOMS!

bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Quads.....not really

Hams/Ass......very
    Yup..My hams especially

Fit_4_Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love the after affects of my leg workouts. Mine always remind for 2 or 3 days post-workout that I have brutalized them. I have found stretching and riding the bike at a moderate pace for 20-25 minutes 2 or 3 days in a row after legs helps alleviate some of the pain.

Unlike some of the others who posted - I do 8 sets of squats, 4 sets of presses, 4 sets of extensions, and 4 sets of standing curls.
    The great successful people...
    create their mental picture, and
    then go to work materializing that picture...

alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I find my lower body responds well to heavy squatting, but I have to be more methodical and often do more sets to trigger the same response in some parts of my upper body.

Originally Posted by Fit_4_Life
    I love the after affects of my leg workouts. Mine always remind for 2 or 3 days post-workout that I have brutalized them. I have found stretching and riding the bike at a moderate pace for 20-25 minutes 2 or 3 days in a row after legs helps alleviate some of the pain.

Unlike some of the others who posted - I do 8 sets of squats, 4 sets of presses, 4 sets of extensions, and 4 sets of standing curls.

8 sets of squats?! At what poundage?!

Fit_4_Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    8 sets of squats?! At what poundage?!
    I start out with a warm-up set of 135x15 finishing off with my last set of 295x3.

Total squat sets/reps - 15/12/10/8/8/5/3/1 (<--- hit the last one w/ 3 )

Lots of sets I know, but ran across a workout a few weeks back and wanted to give it a try. BTW, I am working on strengthing my legs it seems to be helping.
    The great successful people...
    create their mental picture, and
    then go to work materializing that picture...

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Quads.....not really

Hams/Ass......very
    agree.

front squats are a different story though

milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    depends if i squatted very close to failure or not.

LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tetsuo
    agree.

front squats are a different story though
    True.....front squats make the quads more sore.
    In 1945, Adolf Hilter died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied, "I am responsible for the massacre of millions" Satan said, "well done, sit to the right of my throne." In 1953, Joseph Stalin died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied "I killed millions to stay in power" Satan said "good, sit to my left" 2010, Ronnie James Dio died and went to Hell, Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" Dio replied, "Bitch, get the fuk off my throne!"

True.....front squats make the quads more sore.

Front squat would be where you place the bar in front of you with your arms supporting? Gee, I wonder how u guys do that, or properly there's a technique involved which I do not know. I do the squat with the bar placed on the shoulders.

AKA The Gingerbread Man MR.RAMSEY's Avatar
    MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MR.RAMSEY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Originally Posted by cowboyathlete
    Soreness may simply mean you are pushing your limit on squats. Make sure you are using good form, get lots of protein, stretching, and rest.

Pretty much what he said.....

Anyway, guys, do you hear this slight grinding sound at your knees when u do squats? Well, I have it at the left sometimes and then it's on the right at other times. There's neither pain nor discomfort, I'm just wondering if I should be bothered.

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My quads are only mildly sore the next day after squatting, but not nearly sore enough that it hurts to walk or anything. I actually wish that they would be more sore, and be sore for a couple days.

Front squat would be where you place the bar in front of you with your arms supporting? Gee, I wonder how u guys do that, or properly there's a technique involved which I do not know. I do the squat with the bar placed on the shoulders.
    It takes some getting used too....it was like 2 months before I could do it comfortably.

Section8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    soreness is the price you pay for a good leg workout

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Section8
    soreness is the price you pay for a good leg workout
    Yep gotta lovem.

TheCypher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Sore lower back

My lower back is where I feel the most pressure when I am squatting and that is where I feel the soreness after my leg day. My quads are not really sore. If I press the quads I can feel some soreness but not otherwise. I only feel the soreness some of you are talking about if I miss legs for a couple of weeks and then do legs again. If I do it regularly every week I don't feel the soreness. Is the soreness in lower back like just me or is that common??

TheCypher

Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horns9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TheCypher
    My lower back is where I feel the most pressure when I am squatting and that is where I feel the soreness after my leg day. My quads are not really sore. If I press the quads I can feel some soreness but not otherwise. I only feel the soreness some of you are talking about if I miss legs for a couple of weeks and then do legs again. If I do it regularly every week I don't feel the soreness. Is the soreness in lower back like just me or is that common??
    TheCypher
    I would say common, but I've been told the positioning of the bar matters. The lower the bar on your shoulders the less you'll feel it in your lower back. The best form you can do will help, too.