Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Some cool **** you might like to know

I tried a system similar to this last summer, but it involved rubber bands instead of weights at the gym. It involved holding a position for about 10 seconds at my maximum capacity. Very similar to SCT, obviously. I used it on every major muscle group of my legs: hip flexors, glutes, quads, calves (those were hard and I had to be inventive to work them properly), and hamstrings. I used this system all summer as an experiment. Boy was I happy with the results:

My 40 time dropped .3 seconds!!!

My times at the end of May were 4.93, 4.89, and 4.86

My times at the end of July were 4.71, 4.65, and 4.69

These were timed by the same person on the same field with the same stopwatch both months.

The most amazing thing about it was, I may have ran an average of 2 days per week during those two months, and I was out of town the week and a half prior to being timed in July. The only workout I did during that week and a half was the SCT bands.

And you can't possibly convince me that running doesn't involve a mostly full range of motion!

Also, I had been playing football, swimming, and running track since 7th grade, so I'm not a newbie to athletic and weight training.

Here's my take on this style of exercising. It's just a theory, of course, but it's based on facts you might find interesting:

This type of exercise trains fast twitch fibers only. Your fast twitch fibers can only work for, at most, 20 seconds at a time (this HAS been proven). Everything else after that trains slow twitch fibers because your fast twitch fibers are fatigued.

Many people think that HIT and SCT and other high intensity, low volume, low frequency systems do not work. I would like to say otherwise. However, it depends on HOW it is used and WHY it is used, as well as your genetic muscle structure.

If you have a predominance of fast twitch fibers as opposed to slow twitch fibers, then HIT and SCT will work for you. A high volume, high frequency routine won't, because you're VASTLY OVERTRAINING your fast twitch fibers, and, while you're training your slow twitch fibers well, you don't have as MANY as you have FAST twitch fibers. So, why bother training the MINORITY of your muscle cells, while overtraining the cells that make up the MAJORITY of your muscle?

At the same time, those that have more slow twitch fibers than fast twitch need to do more VOLUME, because an HIT/SCT program UNDERTRAINS the majority of their muslces.

That said, anyone that would like to improve their strength can benefit from SCT because the fast twitch fibers are the most important muscle fibers for lifting the heaviest load in the shortest amount of time. Also, I believe any sprinter can benefit enormously from this, as I've shown above. Distance runners.... not so much. The AMOUNT of improvement will vary according to your FT/ST ratio. But all of this is dependent on you training the way you're SUPPOSED to train and keeping your DIET in order!

Next, I do believe that, even for ones that prefer volume training, this system can work for you in short bursts. If you find that an HST style linear progression works for you, then SCT may be the perfect icing on the cake for your "POWER" phase.

Start of with 12-15 reps in all excercises for about 6 weeks, then 6 or 8 reps for 4 weeks, then 3-4 reps for 2 weeks, then, finally, SCT for about another 4 weeks. The cool thing is, SCT may be able to reduce the need for those 2-week "vacation periods" that, for me at least, are very painful to come back from at first. This is because you would be taking a longer rest between workouts for that month and letting your slow-twitch fibers recover while you pound your fast twitch fibers.

In conclusion, you cannot deny the large numbers of people that have made gains in strength that are nothing short of incredible. Assuming you do the program the right way, the AMOUNT of strength you gain is determined by your FT/ST ratio. Also, whether you increase in muscle size or not is affected by the same ratio. I'm interested to know if that one cat who gained 28 pounds of muscle in the 10-week testing period Sisco talks about wasn't mostly FT muscle. To those few who LOST muscle size while on this system, stick with your volume routine, because you probably have a vast majority of slow-twitch fibers, and your muscles shrunk because your ST fibers were undertrained.

Of course, this is just a theory, and should be scientifically tested, but given the information available about FT/ST fibers and the LARGE range of incredible success (or dismal failure) with this system, it deserves some serious thought.
    Your weakness, whatever it may be, is all in your mind. So is your strength.

"Only in America can you get famous just by changing from being a big fat ass to not being a big fat ass."

-Stan from South Park, on Jared Fogle

Unregistered
    hitting the gym once every 10 days would drive me insane... not to mention I doubt this method is anymore effective for mass than a tradition HIT workout

TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Unregistered
    hitting the gym once every 10 days would drive me insane... not to mention I doubt this method is anymore effective for mass than a tradition HIT workout
    well, once a week has been sufficient for gains so far. I'm doing one bodypart a week just like a normal split bodypart training regimen. once it gets to the point that I can only go every 2 or 3 weeks to get results I'm gonna switch programs. Only going to the gym every 2 or 3 weeks means I only see results every 2 or 3 weeks, which is basically a plateau in itself. so, I'll switch back to volume training to see if I'm any stronger in those lifts.

interesting thing to know, though. my first static hold bench press was 430. 5 days later, I was at 520. today (another 5 days later) I lifted 585. seems like it's working to me =D. I'm gonna do this for about 2 more weeks, then see how much (or if) my full range strength improves.
    Your weakness, whatever it may be, is all in your mind. So is your strength.

"Only in America can you get famous just by changing from being a big fat ass to not being a big fat ass."

-Stan from South Park, on Jared Fogle

apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10) apace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    anyone got improvements on the system not strength wise but increase in muscle mass , i am giving it a try on shrugs i will see how it goes in 2 months time , i am increasing the weight and time too but i want to see muscle increase not weight increase
    drinu

sumitkils

They all work.

Ok, guys.. I've seen ans read everyone praising, assailing, appreciating, denigrating, even abusing the different methods of weight training by different trainers. Pete Sisco and Mike Mentzer being the most criticized. My friends, but, I've given all those methods there, a good try for a couple of months. And let me let me tell u, that they all have worked me,seriously. Thers' no one way to train like theres' no one way to dance or live ur life.
    Whether its the various differing 'PERIODIZATION' techniques (viz. Linear, non-linear or conjugate etc.) or the much debated STATIC CONTRACTION TRAINING or Mentzer's HIT(high intensity training). We must realise and clearly understand that what all the training programs and schedules emphasise is, on adequate 'rest and recovery'. Rest & recovery are essential for one's body to grow without OVERTRAINING, which 80%+ people suffer or deal with. I focussed on appointing the right form and technique which each method puts stress on. The real idea is to stimulate one's muscle and allowing it enough time to recover alongwith appropriate nutrition. Now, be it, PARTIAL RANGE REPS, FULL RANGE REPS, HIT REPS, SCT REPS or about any other kind of reps, they fire the muscles and make them grow.

So, pls next time, make sure, you've applied the right technique to the style of training, u employ. As, I said earlier,"They all work".

james_ashby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Info on SCT

There is a farily active group on Yahoo devoted speficially to SCT training on the purpose built Explosive Fitness equipment.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Explosive_Fitness/

MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000)
    are people still argueing this nonsense?

Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500)
    MOD, the Standford link you posted earlier no longer works.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I like the isometric machine idea, it makes a lot more sense, since it wouldn't take time for loading plates, and you can progress more gradually, and it requires no motion at all!

KuJu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If SCT is so great how come noone in competitions like Worlds Strongest Man uses it?

Look at the training regimes of people like Bill Kazmaier - seems to fly in the face of much that Pete Sisco suggests as "science" and yet he is undoubtedly one of the worlds greatest strongmen. Even the most recent records are way below what many people doing SCT claim to be training with - why is this? Because its mechanical not muscular strength. Of course you're gaining muscle but is it useful muscle? No. Think you're strong doing SCT? Get to some gymnastic rings and hold a perfect maltese cross for 10 seconds. Whats that? You cant do it? NO?!!!

Recently I received an email from Pete suggesting his 8 year old daughter can lift well in excess of any amount of weigh available in a single spot in my local gym. An 8 year old girl. Doesnt that tell you there's something wrong here? Ignoring the fact that making a child of that age do things like this is verging on child cruelty and is at best ridiculously irresponsible it also demonstrates a complete lack of either understanding or concern for the way the body actually works. Whichever one it is; it's wrong.

Supporting this guy just beggars belief.

james_ashby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

That last post was just silly

For information on SCT go to the yahoo group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Explosive_Fitness/

BODYUNS

hello

Ok let me suggest sumthing
    first do a full rom excercises and then got to the partials
    that'll help

4LeggedDeadEnd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have done most of Pete's regimens..

My name is George Walker....and I am replying to all the badmouthing aimed @ Pete Sisco. For one, I am 44 and I have done POF, Static Contraction Training, X Reps, and POWER FACTOR.....

History.....25-30 years training with weights....read everything I could get my hands on, and a good bit of knowledge on the subject.

For one, his program's focuses are ON RECOVERY TIME.....DURATION OF WORKOUTS ETC....

They do work.....Power Factor Training is fine.....but the point they are trying to make is......ONE MORE REP OR ONE MORE LB ON THE BAR IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME as last workout when you performed the same exercise.

It is called the laws of consistent progression......

We here in Richmond have a few "nobodies" that are "old school" and trained with partials, static holds and hybrids.......everybody laughed at them.......till the two went to Ft Lee here to a power lifting competition AND THEY GOT THEIR BUTTS HANDED TO THEM.....

I knew what time it was.....I went on to research the same stuff....in fact...it does work.....but what a person is trying to achieve is the determining factor....not the workout.

You also have things like the power of suggestion, addicted to "the pump", the hormone addiction that happens when the body is releasing hormones after workouts etc.

Addiction.....from what I am reading.....the common denominator among all addictions.....ADRENALINE.....*Psyche Dr. buddy of mine from Duke University

Lot of factors and not trying to muddy the water.....but they do work.

Static Contraction Training Does work......but people are so addicted to "going to the gym"....they don't rest like they should and follow directions...hence...not attaining the results they should.

Lot of factors to consider.....and a lot of them are just mental.....I know I have used so many training strategies......but most of them do work.....to me....ADJUSTING TO Static Contractions and other workouts from Pete Sisco takes some patience but as he states in many of his works...."The hardest thing to do is stay out of the gym...."

Plenty of Universities utilizing some of these strategies......and noticing MEGA results in all areas.....

Just my opinion....

4LeggedDeadEnd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

With you there guy...

Lot of factors.....but being too worried about what the people in the gym think about your workout.

If all "the boys" are talking smack about it......that is pride and ego......just lip service.

As I said....people ran their mouth about a few guys here till they got their feelings hurt down here @ Ft Lee. They quickly changed their tune....

Oh....and if I am not mistaken....one of these guys in mention....has 2 state power lifting records......

But with the last poster......most of it is mental.....if you think it doesn't work.....IT WON'T!

Istyping has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Istyping has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Istyping has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Istyping has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Istyping has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Istyping has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Istyping has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    sct

WulfenOne
    Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Has anybody actually tried this workout for a few weeks?

Thanks!
    Ryan
    Not only have I tried it, but I stuck with it for several months. My bench was at 500 lbs, my leg extensions over 800 lbs, when I stopped. Anyone says that it doesn't work, is sadly mistaken. Try it for yourself, what do you have to lose?? The key is allowing the proper rest, especially as your weights increase.

Registered User surfingonsilver's Avatar
    surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfingonsilver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looking fishy

BearBody

Sct

Yeah it works. Here is my two cents.

I am 17 at the moment, relatively new to bodybuilding and have lifted on and off for the past two years. I couldnt work out in the gym consistently because I had a lot of school things going on, and I was too lazy to go the gym. My first three months in the gym didnt give me anything, so I basically quit and bought a dumbell set. That was September 2008. Afterwards I worked out infrequently, using the old-fashioned and classical home training methods. I got very good gains, but I realize that if I want to step up I would have to go to the gym and work out with all the fancy equipments.

So since January 2010 I began to work out seriously in the gym. I read many articles in bodybuilding.com and used a beginning workout program since I consider myself to be a "beginner". Acting on the advice of the "local guy" who happens to be a Personal Trainer at the gym (yeah I know the "local guy", I wasnt smart but at least he was solid ripped and I was not), I hit the gym at least four times a week (and some of the week I hit it five days). One of his unique advises was to work the arms every training day. I thought it was stupid, however I tried it and yeah it worked. I got a more solid round look to my arms, and my body as a whole is developing quite well.

Then the problem comes. I overtrained. I began to feel dizzy during days, yet I found myself having trouble sleeping at night. I knew I was overtraining, which made me look back on my training program. I also realized that my progress with weights arent very good. For the six months I was at the gym, I kept working the same weights over and over again. It was frustrating, and I couldnt see any more development in my body.

Then I came across an article in bodybuilding.com written by Pete Sisco. I proceeded to go to his website, and his stuff seemed interesting. I did not want to get scammed, so I looked for a free online copy and downloaded it. I never looked back since.

Let me just say that it was the most productive and efficient program I have ever used. I chose to go for Power Factor Training system because of one reason: the closest gym at home costs either 90 AUD per month or 15 AUD per training session. I thought I paid good money and didnt want to work for the incredibly short program that SCT offered. So I used the PFT system, and I am happy to say that it worked so well that I decided to officially buy it from Sisco's website. I made more muscle gains (I now have more lean, ripped muscle) in eight weeks than I ever made in six months, and I have never gotten any stronger. Most importantly, to me the increasing numbers is a proof that my strength increased, no doubt about it.

Looking at one of his websites though, I can understand why people would feel its a scam or fraud. Also, I think the equipment Sisco sells based on the SCT is rather ridiculous...so Sisco may know a lot of truths, but he is also a businessman.

But anyway, his system works and I am happy.

So, would this system work for a professional bodybuilder? Probably not.
    Would this system work for a guy who wants to enter a local body contest? I am not sure.
    But would this system effectively increase strength and make a guy look better topless in the beach? Definitely.