wisslewj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wisslewj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wisslewj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push/Pull Balances

Hey guys,

I asked a question about chest and back balance a few days back and this got me thinking. What about the other muscles?

For example, can anyone tell me the rough ratio of strength between the following:

1. Chest (press) and Back (pull) - Been told this is 1:1 and seems right.)
    2. Bicep (Curl) and Tricep (extension) - Mine are almost 1:1 here.
    3. Quad (extension) and Ham (Curl) - I can extend FAR more weight.
    4. Shoulder (press) and Lat (pulls) - could see this being 1:1 as well
    5. Any other push/pull balances I have not thought of.

I am really curious about what a "balanced" body should look like. Obviously an unbalanced one can lead to muscle pulls, bad posture etc. So I would really be curious about proper ratios. I think it would better help us know where to prioritize our efforts in the gym. Also, a better balanced body would probably more quickly be able to lift more weight since things are balanced and working properly.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vase is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dips and upright row.

Every exercise has a balancer, just not sure that all are complitely needed.

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Seems to me the triceps should be stronger then the bi's as they are much larger?
    something clever and witty

cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lats seem to be stronger than shoulders in most cases...they're a larger muscle and you're using your biceps on most pull exercises.
    Team HALEO
    ‡Echo in Eternity‡

http://www.haleo.com/

Joey - 10/16/2011

wisslewj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wisslewj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wisslewj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Josiah,

My bicep curl is actually just barely stronger then my triceps ext. assuming strict form. The bi's get some help from the forearms whereas the tri's are solo. Maybe its that difference which makes the ratio so close.

Cal,

My lats are stronger then my shoulders. However thats seated, which is not really practical. I am curious if standing and having the legs to do some driving if the ratio would come back closer to even again.

Anyone out there actually studied this stuff and know what the correct push pull strength ratios should be roughly?

Jeff

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ah ok, Hmm what about say tricep pushdowns V. barbell curl? That seems a little more in line with 'push/pull'.

I don't really think there is much in the way of studies concerning the ratios of push/pull in the human body. Though from what I do understand, the pulling function of the body is it's strong point, due to many reasons beyond just muscle size.

Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000) Machvayne is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here's a link to an article that I think relates pretty well to what you are trying to find out in terms of strength relationships between muscle groups or exercises:
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=52balan
    Stop looking at me Swan.

Josiah,

wow I am in unbalanced then lol. I cant pull for nothing but I can push alot! ON the plus. if my body is better designed to pull, that should catch up fast now that I am focusing on it.

Mac,

Thanks I am reading it now.

Originally Posted by wisslewj View Post
    Josiah,

wow I am in unbalanced then lol. I cant pull for nothing but I can push alot! ON the plus. if my body is better designed to pull, that should catch up fast now that I am focusing on it.

Mac,

Thanks I am reading it now.

Well it's very general, it's hard to draw specifics to general if you will. What are you rows looking like? Do you row as much as you press (bench)? That is set wise. Lat pull downs or pullups/both of wich count into pulling movements of course.

Many people neglect the back, it happens, and you notice it and move on. The back is a MASSIVE muscle group. Taking a much deeper level and selection of exercises to fully hit.