NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Lunges Build Great Quads

That's right. The title of this thread is not a typo: Lunges DO build great quads. True, they also work the glute/ham area as well, but every time I do lunges (specifically dumbbell lunges), I really feel it the next day deep in my quads. It's a different soreness than I get from doing squats or leg extensions. People think I'm crazy when I say this, but I truly believe that lunges are part of the reason I was able to build great shape and muscle separation in my legs, overall. (Of course, I'm not by any means saying that lunges are superior to squats; I'm only saying that you might want to consider incorporating lunges into your leg workout before tossing the idea away because of the myth that lunges are only an "isolation" exercise.)

Just wanted to share this with all you "leg freaks" out there.

Natural Ms. Olympia

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im looking for some "quad only" leg builders and TBH lunges are to much of a wildcard in the hamstring area. Quad involvement depends on the lunge depth does it not, only I found it the hammies/ass more.
    Last edited by GGHT; 11-02-2004 at 06:16 PM.

Location: lived in Brooklyn NY for 20 years, moved to Portland, Maine 2 years ago for college
    MXdawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MXdawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MXdawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GGHT
    Im looking for some "quad only" leg builders and TBH lunges are to much of a wildcard in the hamstring area. Quad involvement depends on the lunge depth does it not, only I found it the hammies/ass more.
    Agreed...

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    exactly, i wouldnt rate them at all for a good quad building routine...
    Definately will do wonders for your arse tho, a great womans exercise at best
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

:::6'3 280lb Endomorph::: UnderArmour22's Avatar
    UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    exactly, i wouldnt rate them at all for a good quad building routine...
    Definately will do wonders for your arse tho, a great womans exercise at best
    Always does wonders for my arse .
    What up though...

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Because everyone does lunges slightly differently, everyone will feel it slightly differently, and in different areas. To whomever said that they were looking for "quad only" exercises, here’s your answer: Stick to squats and leg extensions. Of course, I’m sure you know that if you only build up your quads and not your hamstrings, you will never get anywhere in the sport of bodybuilding.

Good luck,
    NaturalMsO

UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO it's harder to do lunges with db's than to do them on let's say squat rack.
    What up though...

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NaturalMsO
    Because everyone does lunges slightly differently, everyone will feel it slightly differently, and in different areas. To whomever said that they were looking for "quad only" exercises, here’s your answer: Stick to squats and leg extensions. Of course, I’m sure you know that if you only build up your quads and not your hamstrings, you will never get anywhere in the sport of bodybuilding.

Good luck,
    NaturalMsO
    Thx bro but Im actually doing a quad day and a hammie day in a week i'd never have just done a quad day lol, for such a large muscle group theres a surpisingly small amount of exercises to hit the quads directly.

DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by UnderArmour22
    Always does wonders for my arse .
    You call it doing wonders to not be able to sit on the crapper for 3 days??? LOL

Amazing Glut exercise

Originally Posted by DaIceman
    You call it doing wonders to not be able to sit on the crapper for 3 days??? LOL

Amazing Glut exercise
    ROTFL!! I can vouch for that too bro! : )
    What up though...

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Quad focus on lunges depends mostly on the step length. Short step = more quads. Longer step = more hams/glutes.

Quad movements = front squats, leg presses with feet low and close, quats with feet at shoulder width, and of course, leg extensions.

Oh, hey, I hear ya! Gotta tricep dip from your quads up off the damn toilet! I've considered installing handicap rails for the day after leg day.

Natural Ms. Olympia

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    or you can ask someone to help you up
    what if your triceps are fried too??
    -Mortality-

Well, if your triceps are fried, too ... then I guess you've got yourself a problem. They really should consider making those red-buttoned, emergency devices that you wear around your neck, strictly for bodybuilders and not just elderly people.

Natural Ms. Olympia

(What I meant to say was: "...for bodybuilders as well and not just for elderly people.")

NaturalMsO

peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

sissy squats
    Henry Rollins
    It took me years to fully appreciate the value of the lessons I have learned from the Iron... I learned that nothing good comes without work and a certain amount of pain. When I finish a set that leaves me shaking, I know more about myself. When something gets bad, I know it can't be as bad as that workout.

Sensei Creese:Cobra KAi founder
    Mercy is for the weak, we do not train to be merciful here, a man faces you, he is the enemy, the enemy deserves no mercy...

Sissy squats are good but they can only be taken so far in the muscle development department. Why? Because you're basically squatting your body weight and not doing progressive resistance.

Natural Ms. Olympia

LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm inclined to agree with NaturalMsO, not only on the point of building excellent quads with squats, but also towards building a comprehensive leg program to target everything. Ronnie Coleman is very famous for his lunge routine. Lunges not only hit the lateral and medial heads of the quads, but more importantly, the supporting leg is forced to use the femoris and intermedialis heads more so in it's hip flexion support role than in knee extension alone. This is the deep muscle soreness OP is talking about.

I personally love them because it allows for reps past failure, in that when you start to fail, you can slightly modify your form or stride, and keep pushing past muscle failue. For walking lunges, a set of 100-200 reps, with weight, is not unreasonable. Lunges should play as much a role in total leg development, and quad development, as much as squats or deadlifts, or more even, because the ratio of leg muscle effort vs. back/abdominal effort is far more biased towards legs than it is with squats, and especially more so than deadlifts.

Keep doing whatever though, anything at your best effort is better than half assing the best exercise split.

Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In other news: Man lands on the moon

Epic Bump
    The more I eat and the heavier I train - the better my 'genetics' get.

Penn State Alumni Crew

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LadyLore420 View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with NaturalMsO, not only on the point of building excellent quads with squats, but also towards building a comprehensive leg program to target everything. Ronnie Coleman is very famous for his lunge routine. Lunges not only hit the lateral and medial heads of the quads, but more importantly, the supporting leg is forced to use the femoris and intermedialis heads more so in it's hip flexion support role than in knee extension alone. This is the deep muscle soreness OP is talking about.

I personally love them because it allows for reps past failure, in that when you start to fail, you can slightly modify your form or stride, and keep pushing past muscle failue. For walking lunges, a set of 100-200 reps, with weight, is not unreasonable. Lunges should play as much a role in total leg development, and quad development, as much as squats or deadlifts, or more even, because the ratio of leg muscle effort vs. back/abdominal effort is far more biased towards legs than it is with squats, and especially more so than deadlifts.

Keep doing whatever though, anything at your best effort is better than half assing the best exercise split.
    The lateral heads of my quads are already well developed. How do I only work the medial heads?

Plz respond.

doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Civilisations have risen and fallen since this thread began

LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    The lateral heads of my quads are already well developed. How do I only work the medial heads?

Plz respond.
    Rip out all heads of quad muscle except medial heads. Store in freezer. Work out. Go to hospital with quads for repairs. Or grill.

??? GAINS.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rip out all heads of quad muscle except medial heads. Store in freezer. Work out. Go to hospital with quads for repairs. Or grill.

??? GAINS.
    K, will try. That method will get them toned, right?

K, will try. That method will get them toned, right?
    If you mean, "tone," in the anatomical sense of a mild to moderate ongoing state of skeletal muscle contraction(tonus), then maybe. They're already in a state of tonus but you would likely experience a greater percentage of fibers in constant contraction with regular exercise.

Plz post vid of medial head isolation experiment.
    Gym lifts: 260/130/285
    Meet lifts: 245/130/285

Coming back after injury journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169273893

If you mean, "tone," in the anatomical sense of a mild to moderate ongoing state of skeletal muscle contraction(tonus), then maybe. They're already in a state of tonus but you would likely experience a greater percentage of fibers in constant contraction with regular exercise.

Plz post vid of medial head isolation experiment.
    Thox!

Post spoon pic, please.

Thox!

Post spoon pic, please.
    Spoon?

Edit: Oh. Spoon.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by LadyLore420; 02-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Gym lifts: 260/130/285
    Meet lifts: 245/130/285

Coming back after injury journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169273893

Igsterau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Igsterau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have to agree that for me lunges are more a quad exercise. If I want to work hamstrings I do glute ham raises

http://youtu.be/Lklcei9AO1w

Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Old thread, but I bet Natural Ms O. got some Killer Quads! Have incorporated heavy dumbell lunges as my second workout on leg day. 45lb db's up to 60lb db's x 14 reps (steps) for 4 sets total. My knees never go past my toes (to show my foot placement, lunge spacing);

End result after 4 weeks: Larger vastus medialis belly, and more protrusion and definition in rectus femoris. And people following the lunge trend, realizing it builds good legs, and also realizing that even 25's can be very difficult.
    Everybody wanna get big, but nobody wanna do legs!!