Trackman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

a squat question!

hey, i've got a question for you guys. here's the scenario: i'm a college sprinter, got my squat up to 405 last march, had to quit for reasons outside of my control until september, and now i can only load on 255 (right now) for a few sets of 6. however, when i go to the leg press, after squatting, i can throw on 500 and do several sets of 6 at that. is this because my stabilizing muscles aren't as strong as my quads and glutes? when i squat i go down below parallel, so that my hip joint breaks my knee, and on the leg sled i lower it all the way during my lift. also, this girl who thinks she knows what she's talking about said that if you squat below parallel you'll hurt your knees; she also claims that you can get dq'd from powerlifting competition by going too low (which i know is bs) but, when you squat low, isn't the pressure transfered to your hips instead of your knees at the bottom, and you only risk knee damage with bad form? i'm going far below parallel on my squats right now, because i'm trying to exaggerate my form on low weights, so that when i start going heavy it won't be so hard to stay low, but am i risking my knees by doing this? or is she just another stupid girl who likes to bitch some hard facts that i can rub in her face tomorrow would be much appreciated!

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Trackman
    hey, i've got a question for you guys. here's the scenario: i'm a college sprinter, got my squat up to 405 last march, had to quit for reasons outside of my control until september, and now i can only load on 255 (right now) for a few sets of 6. however, when i go to the leg press, after squatting, i can throw on 500 and do several sets of 6 at that. is this because my stabilizing muscles aren't as strong as my quads and glutes? when i squat i go down below parallel, so that my hip joint breaks my knee, and on the leg sled i lower it all the way during my lift. also, this girl who thinks she knows what she's talking about said that if you squat below parallel you'll hurt your knees; she also claims that you can get dq'd from powerlifting competition by going too low (which i know is bs) but, when you squat low, isn't the pressure transfered to your hips instead of your knees at the bottom, and you only risk knee damage with bad form? i'm going far below parallel on my squats right now, because i'm trying to exaggerate my form on low weights, so that when i start going heavy it won't be so hard to stay low, but am i risking my knees by doing this? or is she just another stupid girl who likes to bitch some hard facts that i can rub in her face tomorrow would be much appreciated!
    You can leg press more because it is a different exercise. The weight is supported on a sled. As your legs get stronger, assuming you are still doing both exercises, your weights will go up on both.

It is true that the lower you go on a squat the more your hips/hamstrings get involved, especially if you bend forward, but your hips should be trained anyway. Who wants a flat ass?

For maximum thigh isolation, for MOST people, go to just below parallel, or a powerlifters depth.

Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you are right about the knee thing.

and as far as the leg press

your leg press weight should be a lot higher then ur squat weight.
    it is for everyone.

just because u have 500lbs on there. doesnt mean all the force is being put on ur legs

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In addition to Defiant's advice, I have found that if you are working your legs 1x per week, mix it up every other week, by going in varying orders with your exercises - helps overall growth and stimulation.

If you did squats first this week, do them last next week. Do everything in the opposite order.

Do something your body does not expect.

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When a person hasn't trained for a while and loses strength typically it is mostly CNS functionality. You just need to retrain the innervation in your muscles to lift more efficiently and you should be back up to your prior weight fairly quickly.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Melkor
    When a person hasn't trained for a while and loses strength typically it is mostly CNS functionality. You just need to retrain the innervation in your muscles to lift more efficiently and you should be back up to your prior weight fairly quickly.
    good post.

Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Melkor
    Right on. This goes hand in hand with muscle memory as well.

DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also, you have to remember that when squatting, you are squatting the bar plus your body weight. When leg pressing, all your body weight has to do with it is make a dent in the seat...

daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Squatting involves force pro-preoception..or balance. Er...$AJ help me out here

Seriously tho - I've seen ppl leg press 500KG when they can only squat 140KG in A SMITH MACHINE (!)
    "We know Burns has the trillion dollar bill somewhere in his house, but all we've been able to ascertain from satellite photos is that it's not on the roof".

www.daninthemix.com