Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What is the proper way to determine # of calories needed for bulking?

I've heard different ways of determining the amount of calories one needs to consume when bulking. Some people say it's you body weight x 20-25. I've heard others says maintenance calories + 500. Which way is correct?
    "It is a good day to fight!
    It is a good day to die!
    Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front!
    Weak hearts and cowards to the rear."

-Crazy Horse

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Usually an estimate would be for a lean bulk BWx18 maintain BWx15 and cut BWx12 there are other factors that are included but thats the way I do it with my clients etc to get an estimate
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Start with Sixpack's suggestions and then just tweak the numbers until you're getting the results you're after. Trial and error is the only real way to do it. Everyone is different when it comes to these things
    The Holy Trinity: Diet, weight training and cardio
    If you don't Squat or Deadlift, don't ask what supps will help you gain mass.

"Strength and wisdom are not opposing values." - Bill Clinton

BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BodyBuild03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You could try these methods... but I'll upload Michael Elias' bulk/cut spreadsheets... and a basal metabolic rate calculator... they are all really good

Take your bodyweight and multiply by one of the following:

12-14 - if you believe you have a slower metabolism
    15 - if you believe you have an average metabolism
    16-18 - if you believe you have a fast to extremely fast metabolism...

This is just a ball park... or you can try this...

For a Male: 67 + (6.24 x bodyweight in lbs) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.9 x age) = your BMR

Then we need to factor in your activity level by multiplying the calculated BMR by one of the following numbers:

1.2-1.3 = Very Lightly Active

1.5 for Moderately Active

1.6-1.7 for Heavily Active

1.8-2.1 for Constantly Strenous Activity

Could also look here... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm

Stats
    Age-21
    Height - 70''
    BF%: ?

04/06 - 190lbs

Goal Weight: 165-170lbs

Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe_65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the help, guys. This is my first bulking phase and I'm definitely trying to do it as cleanly as possible since I used to be really fat and, since losing the weight, have had a phobia of eating too much. Going by the maintenance plus 500, my result would be about 2900, whereas with the weight x 20-25, it would be 3400-4250, so there's a quite a discrepancy with each method for me.
    "It is a good day to fight!
    It is a good day to die!
    Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front!
    Weak hearts and cowards to the rear."

-Crazy Horse

Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i personally just eat a more relaxed diet...and since i know how to lose bodyfat..through strict dieting and hiit cardio and weight lifting...its pretty easy for me to lose fat. So when i bulk..which i'm doing right now..i just eat as much as i need..and watch the scale every few weeks or so.

If i stop gaining...it probably means what i'm eating has become my maintainance...and then i could decide to either cut or keep bulking from then on. Cutting...i would just lower slowly until i'm at around 2500-1500calories. I do this by eliminating fruit, dairy, red meat, whole eggs, any unncessary fats, start cycling my carbs...

But if i choose to bulk...i usually add about 1/3 more calories to what i'm eating already ...through maybe increase OZ in meats, increase cups in rice , oatmeal, more fruit, more fats (almonds)..and possibly an extra meal of salad...as veggies are important.

Just my thoughts on bulking and cutting.
    Davinci flavor oppinions:
    Banana-awesome
    Pancake-awesome
    cookie dough-good (not sweet but has flavor)
    German Chocolate Cake- good (sweet, not strong)
    PB- good(sweet, not strong flavor)
    Gingerbread- good (taste like gingerale/no good on pancakes, okay in oatmeal)
    Coconut- good. (has flavor..a tiny sweetness)
    Macadamia Nut- good/poor
    Danish Pastry-good (if you like cookie dough you would like this)
    Blueberry-Awesome/good