Thread: Straps

Location: Uk, North East....You'll find me in the Freeweights section!!!!
    K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Straps

I have used the old normal Golds gym lifting straps for years. And as my weights have increased i have found that these straps really rip my wrists to pieces. (not literally, but they do hurt1). So i recently ordered a pair of Shiek straps, then new ones with the dowel. They look excellent, the part that goes around your wrist acts as a sturdy wrist support for presses etc as well, and the dowel with the shorter strap makes for easy use and quick release from any bar. Anyone use these? what other straps do you guys use?
    "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder........but dont nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight!....Lets go!!! i'll do it though!!" Ronnie Coleman.

"Thats about...............15........hundered, thats 35, 45lb plates...so its LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!!" Ronnie Coleman.

"Come on diesel, for the Mass!!!" Dorians training partner

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious" Albert Einstein.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use a pair of $6 straps that I bought at MuscleMag. They have the felt padding for your wrists. Are you working out for looks or for practical strength purposes?

maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unless you're gonna be doing some 1000lb silver dollar lifts and such, any of the run of the mill straps will work fine. If you want the HD straps, companies like APT and Ironmind sell them.

K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Golds gym straps have padding also, but they still rip into my wrists when i'm doing deadlifts and shrugs etc.

I have to use straps becuase i badly broke both my arms when i was young, as a result of the ligament damage etc, my grip is no where near as strong as the rest of me. Without straps i cant really lift enough weight in order to satisfy myself.

When you say looks; yes i am lifting for looks in the way that i lift, because the physical result looks good, but i dont use straps just because i think they look good in the gym.

I think that the Schiek straps are the best in the business for comfort and stability, i know that Jay uses them, he is sponsored by them.
    "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder........but dont nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight!....Lets go!!! i'll do it though!!" Ronnie Coleman.

"Thats about...............15........hundered, thats 35, 45lb plates...so its LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!!" Ronnie Coleman.

AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by K9icular
    I have used the old normal Golds gym lifting straps for years. And as my weights have increased i have found that these straps really rip my wrists to pieces. (not literally, but they do hurt1). So i recently ordered a pair of Shiek straps, then new ones with the dowel. They look excellent, the part that goes around your wrist acts as a sturdy wrist support for presses etc as well, and the dowel with the shorter strap makes for easy use and quick release from any bar. Anyone use these? what other straps do you guys use?
    I wouldn't mind getting a set of those, they sound pretty nice. Where did you order them from?
    Age 24
    Current stats
    Hgt 6"
    Weight 195 lbs
    Chest 45"
    Arms 16.5"
    Waist 33"
    Quads 25"
    Calves 15.5"
    BF % 12 %

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When I said working out for looks, I meant working out in a way that you look good in a mirror. Most guys I know at work, exercise for practical strength that they use every day. For example, I rarely use straps because it weakens my grip. In my job, having a weak grip prevents me from working to my max. level.

I ordered them from Schiek.com However since i am in the UK they will probably take a few weeks to get here.

I am studying towards a degree in Software engineering, therefore i dont need practical strength for my job. I train becuase i want to improve my phsique, not my strength, clearly i realise that i must or will improve my strength along the way also.

If that's the case then use the straps til your blue in the face. Just don't neglect your forearms. I used to train with a guy who used straps but trained his forearms on a semi-regular basis. He looked like an idiot. Big chest, big arms, big back, little forearms.