Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WHSQb10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question I Desperately Need Some Advice On Gaining Weight And Muscle

Hey guys im new to the site, just joined today actually, and was wanting some advice on gaining weight and muscle. I'll be a sophomore in highschool this year coming up and weigh around 145 lbs. and im 6 feet tall, so yea, a bit on the skinny side. I am the starting varsity quarterback for our football team and i was wanting some information on gaining weight, gaining muscle, and muscle mass and becoming stronger. I am pretty relatively new to weightlifting other than when our team works out through the spring and summer. And genetics are DEFINATELY against me, i was bigger in the 8th grade than my dad was whenever he married my mom. I have a very high metabolism. My goal is to play college football one day and being 6 feet tall and 145 pounds just wont cut it. My football IQ and ability is set and good to go, the only negative thing i have working against me is the size. if anyone has any helpful advice what so ever for me, please share it. All help is greatly appreciated!

Also, i want to set some realistic goals for my size and i also want to keep my size, im a very mobile quarterback who is real fast but i'd like to keep this speed as best as i can while im getting bigger. My goals in my size is to be around the 185-200 before my senior year begins. again, thanks for any help

Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100)
    eat more.
    >>Misc Tater Tot Crew<<

Black Knight 4 Lyfe
    Misc 4 Lyfe

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    eat 6-8 meals a day. the more meals the less you have to eat per meal. for now, aim for about 3,000-3,500 cals. ofcourse you should also lift weights regularly.

eat the following:

oats
    tuna
    chicken
    fish
    eggs
    milk
    brown rice
    veggies fruits
    seafood
    wheat bread
    cottage cheese

take the following supps:

whey protein
    multi vitamins

try to stay away from sodas and sugar as much as possible

Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Russ-T has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    eat 6-8 meals a day. the more meals the less you have to eat per meal. for now, aim for about 3,000-3,500 cals. ofcourse you should also lift weights regularly.

eat the following:

oats
    tuna
    chicken
    fish
    eggs
    milk
    brown rice
    veggies fruits
    seafood
    wheat bread
    cottage cheese

take the following supps:

whey protein
    multi vitamins

try to stay away from sodas and sugar as much as possible
    Eat what he said but for starters just to start out

eat every hour. Just a meal, like eat say peanut butter sandwhich and apple and gronola bar or w/e but eat it every hour and then by the 4th or 5th day you will wanting to eat more and more and progresivly you will get your eating habits up and be able to take more and more in then just skip to 5-8 meals a day but larger quantities.
    I begin tomorrow. Eighteen weeks in this dark hole. 126 days of pain. 3024 hours of hunger and desire. I'm already counting the minutes, the seconds When it's over, I'll step into the light. I will shine...

Until then, you'll live in the shadow, in the darkness, in a place few will ever see... Where ugliness becomes beautiful.

.............................$$BMBC$$...........................

Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You should never feel hungry, ever...keep the cardio to a minimum also.
    "When you're not in the gym, someone else is; and they will beat you."
    "If it was easy, everyone would do it."
    "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
    "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender."
    “To be number one, you have to train like you’re number two”

Jan 1st: 227 @ 16%
    Jan 7th: 223
    Jan 14th: 217
    Jan 21st: 216
    Jan 28th: 214
    Feb 4th: 213

mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500)
    Listen to what these people say..lift heavy and eat a lot. Another thing is to make sure you practice your throwing motion very often even during the offseason and keep that shoulder loose, sometimes when a QB bulks up they lose some range in motion and flexibilty in there shoulder but if you throw a lot of balls while you bulk up you will be fine

Alright, thanks alot guys i juss made a big grocery list out lol for some good foods to eat, all this is real helpful and i appreciate it. What are the most effective kinds of supplements or anything that can give me a boost in reaching my goals. And if its not to much trouble give me a bit of information about it, I use 100% whey protein but other than that i dont really know to much about the supplements and what they do. Thanks again

mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500) mjoffball is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by WHSQb10 View Post
    Alright, thanks alot guys i juss made a big grocery list out lol for some good foods to eat, all this is real helpful and i appreciate it. What are the most effective kinds of supplements or anything that can give me a boost in reaching my goals. And if its not to much trouble give me a bit of information about it, I use 100% whey protein but other than that i dont really know to much about the supplements and what they do. Thanks again
    The whey is good, I would of said weight gainer and see how all that works out and maybe once this season ends I would try a creatine mono and there is plenty of info about these supplements on this site. If you take creatine I suggest cycling it because a lot of peoples body gets use to it and stops producing it but either way make sure you stop taking it a month before the season so all the water that you gain from it will go away and won't slow you down.

I've heard of some friends on creatine and i've asked people at GNC about it and they said they wouldn't suggest it because it isnt muscle it fills ur muscles with water and the water drains from your body, what can you tell me about that

aye mjoffball, nice video on ur space man

I've heard of some friends on creatine and i've asked people at GNC about it and they said they wouldn't suggest it because it isnt muscle it fills ur muscles with water and the water drains from your body, what can you tell me about that
    I don't take it anymore but I have and I gained muscle and water and once you stop taking it as long as you keep working out you will lose the water and keep the muscle. And for it draining water from your body, it is suggested you drink plent of water on it so theres not issue from that. If your diet is good there may not even be any need for this. I wouldn't try it this year though I would do research on it and next offseason if you like what you get from the research then try it, if not don't.

aye mjoffball, nice video on ur space man
    Thanks man

travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It does put water into ur muscles but with water in thier it stretches ur muscles which means more room for muscle to grow.

DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Before you lift, stretch a lot. Get a lot of sleep. Make up a weights program that is beneficial to you, make it probably between 6-15 reps for each excercise and do like 3-5 sets of the excersices. Make up a program in which you can devise it into a schedule, for example, I lift upper body Mon/Wed/Fri, and I do lower body Tues/Thurs. Take a lot protein after your workouts, and STRETCH!

Here's a little sample meal plan that is just general for athletes (choose foods from each)

Breakfast: Fruit smoothie, yogurt, fruit, some type of whole grain or wheat cereal, eggs (protein), breakfast bar, toast, bagels, juice, water

Midmorning: Fruit, yogurt, nutritional bar, turkey/ham/chicken sandwich, water

Lunch: Fish, chicken, beef, turkey....meat.......soup, salad, pasta, potato, sandwich (make sure on whole wheat bread)

Midafternoon: Water, nutriotional bar, fluids, maybe yogurt/fruit

Dinner: (Same approach as lunch) pork, fish, chicken, burger, taters, pasta, salad, veggies, sandwich, soup

Night snack: Nutrition bar, smoothie, fruit, yogurt, snack (pretzels, tortilla chips, wheat crackers)

General breakdown: 60 percent carbs, 20 percent proteins, 20 percent fats (I eat a lot more protein than 20 percent since I'm a similar position as yours)

Drink water continuoulsly, put in protein bars/shakes when u need them (after workouts, before bed)
    Vertical: 36"

ON Whey, ON Casein, Muscletech Creatine

KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Okay...so you want to put on 40 to 55 pounds of muscle in the next two years, while retaining your speed and agility, and as one respondent has added, maintaining your flexibility and range of motion.

No, that's not a lead-in to saying you can't do it! You can, but it's going to take some real dedication on your part.

Some good advice so far -- get the frequency of your meals up first, and then get your total intake up. You're doing whey protein, vitamins. You've discussed creatine. Before you worry about creatine, I'd recommend adding branch chain aminos, and some extra L-glutamine beyond what's in the BCAA complex.

There's been mention of going to a mass gainer, and I would agree. I happen to be a Beverly International customer, and a long time advocate of their products. I'd say take a look at them. They're based in Cincinnati, so wherever you are in W.Va they're not too far away.

When you feel you've got your meal frequency up and your calories up, I'd say take a look at the following article: http://www.spn-supplements.com/james. Got both a diet and workout schedule leading to the kind of lean fitness you seem to have specified. He's got lots of threads here on bb.com if you want more than from the article.

An odd/weird recommendation: if you don't have a specific flexibility program, find someplace near you that teaches Tai Chi and get to doing it every morning. A QB can never have enough body awareness and balance which this develops.

One last thing...if you turn out to be really good at QB and get recruited, you can't go to WVU, you gotta come west here to USC! lol!

Ken T.
    Hanson's Razor: Never attribute to malice or conspiracy that which can be accounted for by simple stupidity.

travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) travisjw is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lol i liked that ken t. But West Virginia will kick USC's ass.

KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenTMaroon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gosh, Dakota! You've already got two top ten Division I teams (well, at least their fans) squabbling over where you're gonna go to college! Not bad! lol!

Hey Travis! That'd be a great game, though, between the Mountaineers and the Trojans! If it happens, we'll have to chat!
    Last edited by KenTMaroon; 07-09-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    Hanson's Razor: Never attribute to malice or conspiracy that which can be accounted for by simple stupidity.

im not a WVU fan im a VT fan but i still like to see WVU kick other teams ass's but they cant beat VT's.

rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is there any specific lifting programs that are recommended for football? Just curious here as to what your lifting programs are like for football.

lol yea a WVU and USC game would be real real real interesting now that Devine is in morgantown, i would like to see that one happen LoL
    " This Game's About You Hit Or You Be Hit...Deal Wit It" -- Ray Lewis

FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Im pretty much in same situation,but im a QB for the Freshman team.
    Well you should really eat as much as you can, Listen to MOST of the people on the forums, they really helped me out.
    USN VETERAN

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    At 15 years old your hormone profile may not be near it's peak yet. You may have success in becoming stronger , But, you may not gain much mass(body weight). Everyone is different. When your body is ready you will know.

Learn to lift properly(Powerlifting, Olympic lifts & general weight training(bodybuilding), Eat clean. Lots of protein and veggies(fruit) , complex carbs.
    Get to bed at a reasonable time & try to wake up at the same time each day.

The most important thing to remember here is Patience & Consistency will pay off ,big time, in the long run. There are no short cuts . Just Hard work.

Originally Posted by Marvin Willis View Post
    Im pretty much in same situation,but im a QB for the Freshman team.
    Well you should really eat as much as you can, Listen to MOST of the people on the forums, they really helped me out.

We can tell that they've helped u thats why ur 123 lbs.

Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Senecan View Post
    You should never feel hungry, ever...keep the cardio to a minimum also.
    wrong. He's an athlete, he should be doing a lot of speed/agility training to get faster because that's the name of the game. You just have to eat that much more to make up for it. I'd suggest taking a liking to milk and chicken.
    >>Misc Tater Tot Crew<<

Black Knight 4 Lyfe
    Misc 4 Lyfe

Originally Posted by Ben76 View Post
    wrong. He's an athlete, he should be doing a lot of speed/agility training to get faster because that's the name of the game. You just have to eat that much more to make up for it. I'd suggest taking a liking to milk and chicken.

what types of speed and agility training, thanks
    " This Game's About You Hit Or You Be Hit...Deal Wit It" -- Ray Lewis

Plyometrics, you know the red step things we have at the school gym use like a 25lb plate on the highest one go 2 sets of 10 reps then do all of the plyometrics on the link i gave u about them. Work on abs u will need a good innercore cause this area is based of where u will be running at lol we wont see u running michael vick speed but u will be just as fast. But u need to bulk up and get about 180-200lbs so u wont get way layed lol. Thats what im doing, but im a running back u can bulk up and stuff just make sure that we stretch cause if u dont and i dont we will loose speed and u will loose ur qb arm.
    Last edited by travisjw; 07-12-2007 at 05:25 AM.

JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JarHeaD316 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Heres an example of my Diet for you to get an Idea

1. train like a beast ; 2. drink water ; above all 3. eat like a beast

Breakfast
    Oatmeal w/ 2 Eggs and 6 egg whites

Snack
    Organic Cliff Builder Bar 20 grams of Protein

Lunch
    2 Pieces of CHicken Breast topped with Spinach and Tomatos

Snack
    Natural PB on Rice Cakes

Post Work out
    2 Scoops of Whey w/ banana oatmeal and flax seed oil

Dinner
    2 Trader Joe Chicken Burgers with 1 Cup of Brown rice and salsa

Late Night Snack
    6 Egg whites

I wouldnt say my calorie count is high because im currently in a cutting/maint. phase but my bulk would consist of more brown rice and carbs with lentils or beans from time to time to up the protein and calories. Oh yea and a jar of natty PB every 5-6 days
    Last edited by JarHeaD316; 07-12-2007 at 07:30 AM.

what types of speed and agility training, thanks
    Do the plyos as suggested, but also if you have a solid box or an agility ladder or even just some dots you can do footwork drills. If all you have access to is a place where you could draw out dots(like even on your driveway) put one in the middle and 4 surrouding it about a foot or foot and a half apart. from there you can do star drill(get on one foot and go to the outer dot and back in the middle and repeat around in a circle 5-8 times or so and then switch legs) hopscotch(self-explanitory, up and back is one, you should do about 10-12) then do something like an x pattern on 1 or 2 feet 5-8 times. You can invent other drills and switch up set lengths and how many sets you perform as you feel comfortable with it. I also add in stadium stairs(I do regular 1 foot per step, 2 feet per step, hops up, 1 leg hop ups, run up skipping a stair, hop up skipping a stair, and just recently going laterally. Other days I add in 4-corner drill, Nebraska agility drill, pro-agility drill and related exercises, and either 40-100 yard sprints or shuttle runs of up to 200 yards.
    >>Misc Tater Tot Crew<<

Black Knight 4 Lyfe
    Misc 4 Lyfe

FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FAPMAN is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by travisjw View Post
    We can tell that they've helped u thats why ur 123 lbs.
    We can tell your a smartass, *******.
    USN VETERAN

Arrow

lmao dude i was just jokeing but anyways ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah