Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Guess what? I did upright rows today and.......

The hand of Satan hasn't reached up for me yet. I did them to nipple height and they felt damn good. Not saying it's gonna be an every week occurrence as I LOVE side lateral raises but this was a nice change.

Location: lived in Brooklyn NY for 20 years, moved to Portland, Maine 2 years ago for college
    MXdawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MXdawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MXdawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking shibee

Yeah, if your targeting shoulders, use a wider grip, you will feel a huge burn!
    great exercise!

bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I dont understand why so many people despise upright rows...??? They are the most effective shoulder exercise FOR ME...Havent had any joint pain or anything for the last 1-1.5 years I have been doing them. I do them with cables and/or BB. Great for traps too!!!
    NEW STATS***

Height: 6'
    Weight: 255
    BF: 9%

jaderenegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaderenegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaderenegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaderenegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaderenegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaderenegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love em too, just don't mess up or YOU WILL FEEL IT.

timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bobcat
    I dont understand why so many people despise upright rows...??? They are the most effective shoulder exercise FOR ME...Havent had any joint pain or anything for the last 1-1.5 years I have been doing them. I do them with cables and/or BB. Great for traps too!!!
    come back in 5 or so years and tell me that again.

You have to think beyond what you are feeling now and more to the long term problems that could arise.

At the end of the day it's your RC... *shrugs*

exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look, I'm about sick and tired of hearing this bull-**** about upright rows damaging your RC. Stop spouting it to people. I have been doing upright rows for the past 6 years along with excersizes that strengthen the rotator cuff, and I have had 0 problems.

People, do some rotator cuff excersizes. They will improve your overall strength in bench pressing and all deltoid movements as a bonus. Here's a link right on bodybuilding.com; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    shoulder impingment.

i don't get why some people on here are so retarded. Damage is chronic, cumulative, and degenerative. Unless you can feel impingment happening (which most can't), you won't realize they arn't fine until yeaaaaaaaars down the road (this type could take 5, 10, 15, even 20yrs to show up depending on thed degree).

but wait, people who study kinesiology, physiotherapists, sport doctors, and the ncaa are ALL wrong

edit: and don't bother responding telling me how i'm retarded UNLESS you can provide an actual PHYSIOLOGICAL reason why they are fine. I've stated mine - shoulder impingment. What's yours....and no, the reason 'my shoulders havn't fallen off yet' doesn't count. Remember, P-H-Y-S-I-O-L-O-G-I-C-A-L, NOT O-P-I-N-I-O-N.
    Last edited by $AJ; 10-23-2004 at 09:45 AM.
    <->

Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000)
    AJ.
    just let em.
    who cares anymore, u know??.
    We know the impingement syndrome, and it's been beaten to death.

anyone who doesn't listen....just...let em have chronic pain later on in life.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Big Nes
    AJ.
    just let em.
    who cares anymore, u know??.
    We know the impingement syndrome, and it's been beaten to death.

anyone who doesn't listen....just...let em have chronic pain later on in life.
    yep. but then you've got a bunch of noobs running around going 'OMG!!!! I DIDNT DIE!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!!', which will encourage others who are actually willing to listen to think maybe they're right.

Oh well, it's a losing battle. Just like so few people believe that super-wide benching is extremely bad for the shoulders.
    <->

bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000) bobcat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by exarch
    Look, I'm about sick and tired of hearing this bull-**** about upright rows damaging your RC. Stop spouting it to people. I have been doing upright rows for the past 6 years along with excersizes that strengthen the rotator cuff, and I have had 0 problems.

People, do some rotator cuff excersizes. They will improve your overall strength in bench pressing and all deltoid movements as a bonus. Here's a link right on bodybuilding.com; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm
    Well stated
    NEW STATS***

Height: 6'
    Weight: 255
    BF: 9%

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    shoulder impingment.

i don't get why some people on here are so retarded. Damage is chronic, cumulative, and degenerative. Unless you can feel impingment happening (which most can't), you won't realize they arn't fine until yeaaaaaaaars down the road (this type could take 5, 10, 15, even 20yrs to show up depending on thed degree).

but wait, people who study kinesiology, physiotherapists, sport doctors, and the ncaa are ALL wrong

edit: and don't bother responding telling me how i'm retarded UNLESS you can provide an actual PHYSIOLOGICAL reason why they are fine. I've stated mine - shoulder impingment. What's yours....and no, the reason 'my shoulders havn't fallen off yet' doesn't count. Remember, P-H-Y-S-I-O-L-O-G-I-C-A-L, NOT O-P-I-N-I-O-N.

Someone who had a degree in kinesiology had set up a program for me that included the infamous upright rows.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

Natbornthrilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lets just say for a second that upright rows were bad for you (not). Anyway.... why would an exercise that mocks daily motions and activities be bad for you? Emptying the trash, pulling covers on top of you in bed and many more. I understand that shoulder inpingment and wrist injury but have you heard of preventative maintenance? Rotator cuff exercises, wrist strenghtening. Every exercise is bad for something but for overall health we must do them.

squats-knees
    leg press- hips
    tricep ext-elbows
    calf raises- ankle

Originally Posted by Natbornthrilla
    lets just say for a second that upright rows were bad for you (not). Anyway.... why would an exercise that mocks daily motions and activities be bad for you? Emptying the trash, pulling covers on top of you in bed and many more. I understand that shoulder inpingment and wrist injury but have you heard of preventative maintenance? Rotator cuff exercises, wrist strenghtening. Every exercise is bad for something but for overall health we must do them.

squats-knees
    leg press- hips
    tricep ext-elbows
    calf raises- ankle
    who the hell picks up a 50+pd trash can like that and hoists it to neck level. doing that everyday you're sure to get injuries; the motion isn't similar in my eyes.

i now understand why Dante gets so frustrated when you've got people training 1/2, 1/4, 1/10000 as long as him trying to tell him his **** doesn't work or how to 'improve' it.

this is VERY simple - i'm tired of hearing these BS arguements about feel or similitaries or whatnot. Very simple. S-H-O-U-L-D-E-R ________ I-M-P-I-N-G-M-E-N-T.

if you want to say they're safe, then PROVE that shoulder impingment is not occuring in the upper part of the lift.
    <->

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    who the hell picks up a 50+pd trash can like that and hoists it to neck level. doing that everyday you're sure to get injuries; the motion isn't similar in my eyes.

i now understand why Dante gets so frustrated when you've got people training 1/2, 1/4, 1/10000 as long as him trying to tell him his **** doesn't work or how to 'improve' it.

this is VERY simple - i'm tired of hearing these BS arguements about feel or similitaries or whatnot. Very simple. S-H-O-U-L-D-E-R ________ I-M-P-I-N-G-M-E-N-T.

if you want to say they're safe, then PROVE that shoulder impingment is not occuring in the upper part of the lift.
    I'm sorry, but the burden of proof is upon you who try demand that it does cause shoulder impingement. if I, all of a sudden say that bench presses place undue stress on the bicep, it's my job to prove that this is true. not others' job to prove that it is untrue.

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    shoulder impingment.

You obviously do not understand what the term physiological means. physiology has NOTHING to do with the subject. It's about anatomy and biomechanics. Again, it's YOUR job to prove that this is true.

marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    upright rows, wide grip anything, flat bench (on rings/wider) all destroy your rotator cuff simple as that.

Whether or not your extremely sensitive to the feeling and pay attention I don't know but I have strong rotator cuffs (work em once a week) and stretch them best I can and still can't do a bench press on rings/upright row/wide grip anything without my shoulder feeling impinged and feeling discomfort. I've never done these things heavy and my form is right and still feel this pain, I can't imagine what would happen if I went heavy.

I'de rather have a bit less development in my shoulders then be unable to ever lift a weight again without pain personally.

But some people may just have flexible rotator cuffs/differnet muscle locations that cause the rotator cuff no pain, we are just here to warn you that you are taking a big risk for a reward that isn't really that amazing (hitting the delts isn't to tough and bent over rows hit the shoulders just as well as upright personally)

IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Shoulder impingement is just another name of tendonitis in the shoulder eh?

exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dips are infinetly more dangerous than upright rows. On the same case, so are behind the back presses, behind the back tricep extensions, deadlifts are more dangerous than upright rows and lets not talk about squats. Then there are a wide variety of other movements including side raises, the t-bar MACHINE you see at the gym (huge pain at lower back) ad infitum...

it's so great that many of you THINK that this exercise or that damages the rotator cuff...or that you AGREE with "sports docs, physiotherapists" and whoever else...but I want to see some proof. And I don't even necessarily think that upright rows are safe. I just want to see you all back up these claims that you are so adamant about!

Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by exarch
    Dips are infinetly more dangerous than upright rows. On the same case, so are behind the back presses, behind the back tricep extensions, deadlifts are more dangerous than upright rows and lets not talk about squats. Then there are a wide variety of other movements including side raises, the t-bar MACHINE you see at the gym (huge pain at lower back) ad infitum...
    all those are dangerous if u use more then u can handle and use improper form.

but upright rows are just dangerous no matter what form

marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    it's so great that many of you THINK that this exercise or that damages the rotator cuff...or that you AGREE with "sports docs, physiotherapists" and whoever else...but I want to see some proof. And I don't even necessarily think that upright rows are safe. I just want to see you all back up these claims that you are so adamant about!
    What do I back my argument up with? Personal experience, I do upright rows and afterwards it hurts to move my shoulders in a bad way, also my shoulder always feels trapped and I get a minor pain doing the movements I stated. I'm sure if done properly you could do upright rows without any risk, but whats the point? Theres many exercises you could replace upright rows with that have much less risk of injury in my personal opinion.

Personal opinion and experience is all that matters in bodybuilding, science means jack **** when every person is different and has a different body set up, no two back poses look alike and in the same way no person has the same genetic make up so what may cause one person pain may feel wonderful for another. Do what feels right, I just give you my personal opinion and nothing more because I don't want to see people getting hurt when there are other movements that can do the same things as upright rows.

Every exercise is dangerous with ****ty form, that sums it up.

Upright rows in general just have that obvious damage that can be prevented, you could freaking get hurt bending over picking up a 2.5 lb plate and never be able to walk again, thats the way things work - Could it have been the 250 lb deadlift you just did that Fv#%ed your back up, sure; but it could also have been a freak accident that absolutely nothing did to cause. Do what feels right, I feel more comfortable deadlifting 250 lbs then upright rowing 50 lbs though that is all I will say, if you feel differently then go right ahead and upright row to your hearts content. People come here to learn and I give advice based on MY personal experience, whether or not science states upright rows are dangerous I don't care. All I know is they feel terrible for me and I warn others about possible injuries that can be prevented based on my personal experiences.
    Last edited by marcFE; 10-23-2004 at 07:35 PM.

EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    shoulder impingment.

I knew it wouldn't take long for you to stick your nose in all this. Newsflash you conceited little prick, EVERY exercise is dangerous EVERY SINGLE ONE. Now I myself don't do upright rows the "conventional" way. I take a wider grip and pull to nipple level. By the way, thanks for calling me retarded asswhipe. God, do I ever ****ing hate you. You come across as an arrogant prick 9 out of ten times in your posts and if this was real life you would deserve a bullet to the brain.

Originally Posted by marcFE
    What do I back my argument up with? Personal experience, I do upright rows and afterwards it hurts to move my shoulders in a bad way, also my shoulder always feels trapped and I get a minor pain doing the movements I stated. I'm sure if done properly you could do upright rows without any risk, but whats the point? Theres many exercises you could replace upright rows with that have much less risk of injury in my personal opinion.

Personal opinion and experience is all that matters in bodybuilding, science means jack **** when every person is different and has a different body set up, no two back poses look alike and in the same way no person has the same genetic make up so what may cause one person pain may feel wonderful for another. Do what feels right, I just give you my personal opinion and nothing more because I don't want to see people getting hurt when there are other movements that can do the same things as upright rows.
    good post bro. Obviously, upright rows aren't a good exercise for you. But if you go by what some of the others in this (and other UR) thread are saying, your experience means nothing. According to them, feeling no pain means nothing, so logically, your feeling pain must also mean nothing. Do you have a pre-existing shoulder injury? Or are upright rows the beginning and end of your shoulder problems?

Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i think all people are different. Some people I believe upright rows will not harm while others it may fuk up there rotator cuffs. I just started doing upright rows and havent for liek almost 2 yrs because of people saying there bad for you...but they feel good for me and right now my delts are a weak area for me.

I think if upright rows causes pain to you, then obviously there not for you. While others i feel if you can do it comfortably and use good form then take advantage of it because i think it is a good excercise personally...its just not made for everybody.

my .02 cents

...basically teh same arguments as marcFE...except for my personal experience with rows is in a positive way. (sorry just type all that **** up then read marcFE post...basically the same idea)

IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Have you ever tried rehabilitating your shoulder/rotator cuff? actually strengthening it and increasing its flexibility? What about your warm up?

Ive got bad shoulders but i've never had any problem with upright rows.

U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000)
    What about the clean pull? I've seen the video of it floating around here, its the olympic style lift comparible to an upright row. Is there an advantage to that move, or is it equally/more dangerous than an upright row?
    "Your doom awaits you!" - Hatebreed

leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think marcee is right about science being bull**** and that everyone has their own personel genetics and preferences

i started BB only 6 months ago, n have unfortunately developed a chronic (pain for a week already) in my shoulders. im guessing its the rotator cuff ****.

for me, i feel lots of pain in my shoulders when doing military presses with the barbell. there fore im currently doing shoulders with dumbbells instead. the barbell restricts the natural arc of overhead pressing movement, but the dumbbell gives me more freedom

i dont think ill be touching the barbell for a long time til my shouldrs r totally healed.

nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by marcFE
    upright rows, wide grip anything, flat bench (on rings/wider) all destroy your rotator cuff simple as that.

Whether or not your extremely sensitive to the feeling and pay attention I don't know but I have strong rotator cuffs (work em once a week) and stretch them best I can and still can't do a bench press on rings/upright row/wide grip anything without my shoulder feeling impinged and feeling discomfort. I've never done these things heavy and my form is right and still feel this pain, I can't imagine what would happen if I went heavy.
    What you said is a perfect example of how everyone is just built differently. I get a pinching feeling in my left hip area when I try to go too far below parallel when squatting. Yet a lot of people push ass to the grass. I must be different.

Regarding benching with fingers on the rings, I've benchpressed with middle finger on the rings for many years now, and I do go heavy since I am getting closer and closer to benching twice my weight now. I am also still doing behind the neck press, behind the neck pullups/pulldowns, and occasional lateral raises. I'm not a newbie, and I'm not a youngster, and done this for a while now. I have never had a shoulder injury either. If I ever feel anything stressing any joint differently than I don't do it. There are plenty of exercises that others do, that I tried a couple times and said no more - my body doesn't like it. Know your body, know your limits, and listen to your body.
    Last edited by nykwan; 10-24-2004 at 08:42 AM.
    My vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nykwan1/videos

_BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by timbo81
    come back in 5 or so years and tell me that again.

You have to think beyond what you are feeling now and more to the long term problems that could arise.

At the end of the day it's your RC... *shrugs*

Well I'm 48 years old and started training when I was 16 so I guess that's a bunch more years then five and I don't have any shoulder problems from upright rows. But then again I use proper form and don't try to cheat the weight up with momentum. So I would guess that those that complain about shoulder pain should take a good look at how they train.

IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by EliteLifts
    I take a wider grip and pull to nipple level.
    What type of grip do you take?

When you're in the starting position are your hands over your thighs or outside of them?