Misc'er for life. GuhleeMonAhnuld's Avatar
    GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Milk vs. Whey protein powder

1 serving of ON Whey protein = 23g of protein
    1 serving (2 cups) of lowfat milk = 20g of protein

5 pound bucket of On Whey protein (77 servings) = $30
    1 gallon of milk (8 servings/16 cups) = $2.5

Therefore I can buy 12 gallons (96 servings) of milk for $30 and get nearly as much protein as I do from powder protein. Am I wasting my money on powder protein? Or are the protein from milk and protein powder (ON Whey) different in some ways?

P.S.
    I majored in Economics and not Nutrition.
    i've learned my lesson. if you use the words jesus and piitb together in the same sentence in the religion forum, you will get negged :(

The Little Water Bear Thunder_Bunny's Avatar
    Thunder_Bunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The sugar might be a problem.

I also believe there is concern with drinking too much milk on a regulary basics but I unfortunately don't know the specifics. I did find this link:
    http://www.fitfaq.com/whey-protein.html
    "Little girls, like butterflies, don't need an excuse."

Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Speed Demon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A couple small things are the added calories in the milk and that fact that pure whey protein is faster absorbing makes it a better choice post workout. The casein in the milk along with the calories and lactose slow down the absorption process. Just a thought.
    "Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life"
    -Timothy A. Breen

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because deep down, she knows she's dating a pussy."
    -General Tommy Franks

The harder you work the harder it is to surrender.
    -Vince Lombardi

Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100)
    100 ml of Milk has 3 grams of protein.
    3.8 (a gallon) has 114 grams.

One serving of Whey has 23 grams.
    For 30$ (it's less than that... ) you get 77 X 23 which is 2541 grams of whey protein and 1368 grams of casein.

Also, milk has carbs.
    Milk is better as a food, but p/w (and overall best cheap protein) whey is better.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GuhleeMonAhnuld
    Therefore I can buy 12 gallons (96 servings) of milk for $30 and get nearly as much protein as I do from powder protein. Am I wasting my money on powder protein? Or are the protein from milk and protein powder (ON Whey) different in some ways?
    Whey is absorbed quicker, which makes it more practical to use pre and post workout.

12 gallons of non fat milk has about 16000 calories in it. My protein powder for a comparable amount of protein would be about 8000 calories.

Milk has a lot of lactose in it.

I think non fat milk (and non fat cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese) has its place in your diet, I just don't think it is a good replacement for protein powder pre and post workout. In addition to protein powder, I ingest a glass of non fat milk and a serving of non fat plain yogurt every day. These have lots of vitamins, potassium and calcium in them. I also have some meat sources of protein each day which provide various minerals and vitamins.

Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50) GuhleeMonAhnuld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The nutrition label on my milk carton says that 1 cup (240 mL) of milk has 10g of protein and 130 calories. I don't mind the calories. I am currently trying VERY hard to gain weight without success. And I always drink a protein shakes post workout.
    Attached Images
    i've learned my lesson. if you use the words jesus and piitb together in the same sentence in the religion forum, you will get negged :(

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Both are good at different times my friend, so to rule one out completely in favor of the other doesn't make much sense. Milk can be considered as more of an all day use protein over whey as it's 80% casein in protein content so the proteins would be slower digested, lactose in milk is also low glycemic, and rich in calcium which as recent studies have shown contributes to fat loss,and the only real problem with lactose is some people don't have enough lactase present in their digestive tract to adequately deal with milk on a regular basis, and some claim that milk makes them have a bloated/smooth appearence. Then you have whey, which is a primarily good protein when you need a highly bioavailable, and quick digesting protein source such as in the postworkout arena, or in the morning. They are both very cheap, but contribute in different ways to your overall nutritional arsenal.
    Unaffiliated.

Thanks. I'm new to bb.com so my rep points probably won't be worth anything, but have a rep point on me anyways.

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The nutrition label on my milk carton says that 1 cup (240 mL) of milk has 10g of protein and 130 calories. I don't mind the calories. I am currently trying VERY hard to gain weight without success. And I always drink a protein shakes post workout.
    yuck, 2% milkfat? get rid of that junk!

Originally Posted by forklift
    yuck, 2% milkfat? get rid of that junk!
    but only 2% of it is junk.

but seriously. why do you call it junk? what do you suggest then? and why?

Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    but only 2% of it is junk.

but seriously. why do you call it junk? what do you suggest then? and why?
    2% of the milk is fat, mostly saturated fat. If you want the calories and are only drinking small amounts and don't have a cholesterol problem it is ok. I think you are talking about large amounts in this thread, so it is not a healthy choice.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Last edited by A.FreeRadical; 10-22-2004 at 04:49 AM.
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

So it's ok to drink skim milk as much as I want?

On a related note, why do so many members here avoid white bread? When they say white bread is 'bad', do they mean bad as in not nutritious, or bad as in unhealthy (like butter or chocolate)?

So it's ok to drink skim milk as much as I want?

On a related note, why do so many members here avoid white bread? When they say white bread is 'bad', do they mean bad as in not nutritious, or bad as in unhealthy (like butter or chocolate)?
    Skim milk can be a healthy portion of your diet. Drink as many calories as you want. Some bodybuilders avoid it because they don't want the calories.

White bread is made from highly refined white flour. There isn't much nutrition left in it after has been processed and as a consequence what remains is highly glycemic. (simple sugar carbs) Whole wheat bread is preferred. It contains the bran and germ and has fiber. Whole wheat bread is considered a complex carbohydrate. (complex carbs) Simple carbs spike your insulin which leads to insulin insensitivity over time, also known as diabetes. Complex carbs are a slow burn. All carbs give you energy, that is why you need them.

You, as a bodybuilder, almost always want complex carbs except after you have finished working out. At that time you want protein and some simple carbs spiking your insulin so your muscles repair and adapt (grow). The rest of the time you want to avoid simple carbs.

I hope this helps.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004

July 2007

thanks. your response is worth a rep point

LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LiL_JaY is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    So what will u do after workout? drink casien?.. if there both about the same price then buy both..
    Started: 114lbs
    Currently: 218lbs

ryan198333 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Milk vs protein

I know this thread is ancient history but I'll weigh in anyway.
    I prefer whole milk myself. I've found protein powders to be an expensive waste when generally a guy or girl will get plenty of protein throughout the day either way if their eating what they need to be to gain mass. I drink about 6 to 8 full glasses of whole milk throughout a day and I'm carrying over 21" arms. I feel your body needs them extra calories and such injunction with a fair amount of protein to recover and what's left over you'll burn during a good workout! And not only is Milk a beast in slow acting proteins it's one of the best drinks you can have for hydration. If your trying to cut your muscle then id lower the intake of milk depending on how intense your workout are.