Thread: Bench Pyramids

lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Pyramids

Do you any of you guys use pyramid sets when you bench or squat? I've been using a pyramid on both and have seen decent results...wondering what other workouts i could diverisfy with to build strength...

PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you are looking to gain some strength you have to lift in the lower rep range.

Somethin like 3 sets of 3 with around 85-90% or some doubles above 90%, or some singles in the 95% area. All these will help you build strength, but I wouldn't suggest only doing these every week because its easy to get burnt out when you are always lifting close to your max.

Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by lucasrd View Post
    Do you any of you guys use pyramid sets when you bench or squat? I've been using a pyramid on both and have seen decent results...wondering what other workouts i could diverisfy with to build strength...
    All your doing is wearing yourself out for your heavy sets, warm up and then hit the heaviest weight you can for the reps you want.

lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is the pyramid I use...based on a % of 1RM I'm currently on the 350 bench pyramid..

54% x 10
    64% x 8
    71% x 6
    85% x 4
    88% x 3
    91% x 2
    95% x 1
    71% - until failure

If I throw in some doubles or singles like you suggest, how many sets? 3 or 4?

MontanaPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes i use pyramids all the time and i was able to get up to 315 doing it. it warms you up well for the heavier stuff and prevents injury because you gradually get used to going heavier. if you are constantly doing sets of 4 and lower be prepared for shoulder pain. i am just sayin

The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lucasrd View Post
    Good question. In fact I use a pyramid about 1/2 the time for both bench and squats. There's a really good article, which the link is of course on my home comp (at work right now) that illustrates a reverse pyramid. I've received really good results from it too. Instead of going UP in weights such as 135x10, 185x8, 225x6, 275x4 you do a quick/easy warm up set to get going such as 135x10 then just jump right into the heavy set such as 275x5 and you'll get an extra rep or 2 out of it this way, thus increasing your strength and shocking your muscles with a different workout. Then continue down from the heavy to light but go to failure each set.

I'll try to find that article for you because there were some other good ones on the site.
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
    - Vince Lombardi

A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes a fire. I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze.
    - Cus D'Amato

PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000) PeonLover is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Given that you are already doing 88% for a set of 3.

with a 350 max I'd say try something like 320 for 3 sets of 3.
    or maybe do 5-6 singles with 340 or 4 doubles with 330. something like that will help you get used to handling heavier weight and it will be a different experience for you so you may get some very nice gains off of it.
    Team Super Awesome!
    There is no such thing as 'strong enough'

PL:565/385/716

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless.

Take a look at what I did, now imagine what I'm about to do

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i'd be interested in that article...

i do pyramid work a lot... as in i increase the weight and decrease the reps...

i do this not only on compound movements, but on isolations as well (i.e. tri/bi/hamstring,etc.)

cant always do it, but helps get over plateaus....
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=

The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Gootz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vegasdsm View Post
    i'd be interested in that article...

i do pyramid work a lot... as in i increase the weight and decrease the reps...

i do this not only on compound movements, but on isolations as well (i.e. tri/bi/hamstring,etc.)

cant always do it, but helps get over plateaus....
    No doubt! Would you mind doing me a big favor then? Send me a PM asking for the reverse pyr article and I'll make sure to look for it when I get home.
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
    - Vince Lombardi

A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes a fire. I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze.
    - Cus D'Amato

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    PM sent
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=

I did a search on my comp and couldn't find it so I'm gonna look some more. Here is a coule of articles I found about it but they aren't nearly as good. The one I had was excellent. I'll keep looking.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy2.htm

http://www.fitness.com/fitness_exercise/v1045373139.php
    - Vince Lombardi

- Cus D'Amato

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the other basic approach is just to warm up and then do several sets with the same weight. thats more of a "5x5" approach but u dont have to do 5x5. Could do 4x6. 3x5. whatever

Another cool approach can be to warm up, then do 2 heavy sets, then the 3rd set drop it 10% and rep it out

for instance, maybe this for you, after warm up and working up in weight

2 x 5-6 @ 295-305
    1x6-8 @ 265-275

pyramids have a lot of "wasted" work..but it does help build up strength thru volume. So the other alternative is to do less sets but more intense, like the setup I suggested.

Both approaches are good.

If you use the same weight for 4-5 sets then obviously you arent going to failure or close to failure on the first couple sets
    "Humility comes before honor"

miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i use the power matrix it seems to be working good for me my bench went from 385 to 455 on it.