remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remifontaine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How are you supposed to know your max bench?

When you calculate your max bench, is there a person to help you initially lift the bar or not?

nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If someone helps you lift it, or actually even touches the bar during your lift, then you didn't lift it.
    And it isn't really calculated. Your max is a weight that you actually lifted.
    My vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nykwan1/videos

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nykwan
    If someone helps you lift it, or actually even touches the bar during your lift, then you didn't lift it.
    And it isn't really calculated. Your max is a weight that you actually lifted.
    I can't stand people who help too early. It screws up the rest of your lift.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by remifontaine
    When you calculate your max bench, is there a person to help you initially lift the bar or not?
    If you want to know your actual, successful 1RM, then you have to lift the bar your bad self.

If you're just trying to guesstimate it, use the 10RM rule. Your 10RM is roughly 75% of your 1RM. So if you bench 150 for 10 reps, 150 divided by .75 = 200. 200 would be (approximately) your 1RM. I have yet to find someone for whom that isn't extremely accurate (within 5 or 10#).

So find the weight that takes you to 10 reps but not 11, and tun the numbers.

Returning to Savagery JustBrowsin's Avatar
    JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Get under the bar and push it off your chest and you'll know. A spotter is a no-brainer, and there's nothing wrong with getting initial 'lift off' so long as you lower and raise the bar through the full range of motion on your own.
    Disregard Taco Bell, Acquire Filiberto's.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    other than unracking it, if somebody helps u it doesn't count

u can use a 1 rep max calculator, but that'll only give a rough estimate, usually wrong if you use anyhting > 4ish reps.
    <->

nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    usually wrong if you use anyhting > 4ish reps.
    That's what I see too.
    My vids

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    other than unracking it, if somebody helps u it doesn't count

u can use a 1 rep max calculator, but that'll only give a rough estimate, usually wrong if you use anyhting > 4ish reps.
    Welcome back. Happy to see a longer than normal post from you.

I'd beg to differ on the inaccuracy of the 10RM tests. On certain (more slow twitch) movements, it loses accuracy, but on any group where it's about 50/50 ST/FT, it should be pretty much on.

Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    Welcome back. Happy to see a longer than normal post from you.

I'd beg to differ on the inaccuracy of the 10RM tests. On certain (more slow twitch) movements, it loses accuracy, but on any group where it's about 50/50 ST/FT, it should be pretty much on.
    I don't think most people, if any, know their muscle's ST/FT fiber breakdown.
    My vids

I don't think most people, if any, know their muscle's ST/FT fiber breakdown.
    Of course not - they don't have to know their own breakdown. This an estimate, not a final number for your taxes. Don't get bogged down in the exactitude of detail when it's not a detail issue.

Besides, most of us are within a few percentage points of the middle of the bell curve on ST/FT ratios, and those are well known.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When I'm benching, and someone asks me, "Hey, you want a lift?" I say, "No."

I actually hate it when someone gives me a lift. I also say, "I got it."

Couple reasons for me at least: (1) I want to honestly say I lifted the thing. If I can't lift the weight myself, then it is my fault, and I didn't get it.
    (2) Alot of guys when they give lifts, they help too much, and the weight drops down, killing your entire rep or set. That p's me off.

So, please don't ask me if I want a lift

Sorry this does not answer the original question. Kind of got into a tangent.

Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    Of course not - they don't have to know their own breakdown. This an estimate, not a final number for your taxes. Don't get bogged down in the exactitude of detail when it's not a detail issue.

Besides, most of us are within a few percentage points of the middle of the bell curve on ST/FT ratios, and those are well known.
    Exactly, since we are all close to those ratios, those ratios are irrelevant for the calculation. Unless you're saying that if the calculations don't work for someone, then they don't have those ratios - which I highly doubt.
    According to the calculations, I can bench 300lb since I can do 225 x10. The best I did a couple months ago was 275lb. That's not really close. So again, I think that If you use the calculators at lower reps, it is much more accurate, and it's not accurate at 10reps.
    My vids

Exactly, since we are all close to those ratios, those ratios are irrelevant for the calculation. Unless you're saying that if the calculations don't work for someone, then they don't have those ratios - which I highly doubt.
    According to the calculations, I can bench 300lb since I can do 225 x10. The best I did a couple months ago was 275lb. That's not really close. So again, I think that If you use the calculators at lower reps, it is much more accurate, and it's not accurate at 10reps.
    This is becoming a far bigger issue than it deserved. I just gave a general 1RM tool - not saying I can guarantee a rep for someone at the weight that forumla gives. It's an approximate, and I suggested earlier it would get you within 10%. And 275/300 is less than 10%.

And as you know, I'm sure, any number of things can account for one more or less rep in any given day. There is routine fluctuation, and your 10RM could just as easily have been 265 or 285.

FishFLA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    should u let the bar touch your chest. i have a habit of stalling when at chest and screws me up. so i bring down bout an inch from chest, would that still count as a max?

Originally Posted by FishFLA
    should u let the bar touch your chest. i have a habit of stalling when at chest and screws me up. so i bring down bout an inch from chest, would that still count as a max?
    It should just touch your shirt, and not your chest, imo. If you know what I mean. Your chest should never absorb any of the weight, but you do have to go all the way down.

BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Theres nothing wrong with a lift off. You still lifted the damn weight. Just because someone helps you lift the bar out to your resting position, doesnt mean that you never lifted it.
    People are allowed to have liftoffs in powerlifting comps.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by FishFLA
    unless you've got shoulder problems, try to touch your chest...not bounce, touch.
    <->