Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Lifting Double Your Weight

I weight around 150lbs, I've always been a light ass... but had that small man complex so i've lifted since I was 16 (on and off). Finally I'm 28 now, and I just put up 300 lbs today (might not sound like alot to you guys, but its double my body weight). Is this fairly average or normal for most amature weight lifters to achieve? Does it mean I can possibly start exploring body building contests and the sort? In other words, once you reach the twice your body weight limit (i'm reffering to benching), do you pass some invisible marker which means your physically capable of competing on a quasi amature/professional level? Or am I still a punk with a weight set wishing I was big like Arnold.
    Last edited by hiii98; 10-14-2004 at 07:47 PM.

fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what does benching twice your bodyweight have to do with competing in bodybuilding??? Anyway congratz on the lift. 2x bodyweight at any weight is strong.

hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiii98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks man i felt it was a HUUUUGE acomplishment. I mean I'm not one of those guys who spends 2-3 hours in the gym everyday (well i could be if I knew that I could now compete somewhere). But always wanted to pass that 2x mark. I lift with a group of freinds, and although they lift more than I do, none of them are doing double their own weight....(400+ lbs)

tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hiii98
    Thanks man i felt it was a HUUUUGE acomplishment. I mean I'm not one of those guys who spends 2-3 hours in the gym everyday (well i could be if I knew that I could now compete somewhere). But always wanted to pass that 2x mark. I lift with a group of freinds, and although they lift more than I do, none of them are doing double their own weight....(400+ lbs)
    What does lifting x lbs have to do with bodybuilding? You have your terminology mixed up. Its great to lift twice your weight but it has zip all to do with BODYBUILDING. No one cares what BBers lift. Its all about LOOKS. Its a good lift to do 2x bw bench. Do you do other lifts too? Or are you strictly a bencher?
    Last edited by tokki; 10-14-2004 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks for your quick reply. I do all kinds of other lifts, with equal intensity as my bench. I've just always set a personal goal of 2x my weight, if I ever hit it, I decided I would try out at a comptition (figured if I was doing 2x my weight in bench i'd likely be in good enough shape to not look too stupid in front of a crowd of people). see I dunno these things, where to begin or what to do next ... if anything.

Thanks for your feedback

I attached a picture of myself taken 3 months ago, i've gotten alot more bulky and tone since then.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by hiii98; 10-14-2004 at 08:52 PM.

I don't work out, I train xplosiveDL's Avatar
    xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for your quick reply. I do all kinds of other lifts, with equal intensity as my bench. I've just always set a personal goal of 2x my weight, if I ever hit it, I decided I would try out at a comptition (figured if I was doing 2x my weight in bench i'd likely be in good enough shape to not look too stupid in front of a crowd of people). see I dunno these things, where to begin or what to do next ... if anything.

Thanks for your feedback

I attached a picture of myself taken 3 months ago, i've gotten alot more bulky and tone since then.
    you need a loooot bigger arms :| In any case, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay 2x BW bench. I can only DL that =(
    If a guy is muscular but cant lift worth **** he is nuthing but a cosmetic pussy ,non functional muscle size =pointless silicon implants as far as i `m concerned

-> A-Rod

You want big muscles, girly man? Find big rock. Pick up big rock. Raise big rock overhead. Repeat as neccesary.

-> rent-a-lambo

As stated before, pic was taken 3 months ago. I just tried to climb around my computer like a monkey to try to get this "bicept" shot. If i'm in no way competion material thats cool!, I would definatly rather know how far away I am from that fantasy that be lied to and laughted at for being in no way prepared....

Here is the new pic.
    Attached Images

SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteR- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    AAAAAAAH! THERE'S NO "T" IN BICEP!!!

where do people get this??

but congrats on the lift!

AndrewT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I reckon you could compete, assuming that you have the "whole" package. You are pretty lean and are well defined. Just a question, did it take you 12 years to bench twice your weight? How tall are you? You don't look that short that you're just 150lbs?

"Just a question, did it take you 12 years to bench twice your weight? How tall are you? You don't look that short that you're just 150lbs?"

You know I'd like to say that I'm all hard core and just did this in 2 years, but in truth, I think it really did take that long. Perhaps if I lifted with the dedication and knowlege that I have now it would have taken me 3 years.... who knows. BTW man is my should rotator cuff (think thats what its called) is totally F*ked today. Really that weight does a number on your frame. Oh and yes I'm 5'9 150lbs, I look really solid, not skinny, but also definatly not beefy or husky at all.

breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice lift, that's one of my goals too. I've done 1.75 times my BW on bench. You look about my size except more ripped. I have a six pack but I'm like 10% BF you look more like 7-8%. You wouldn't have to do much cutting to compete.

Post some pictures! I know i'm super light weight at around 150 but i'm dense as hell and think i have a low body fat count. For the past 2 years I've eaten practically ZERO fat, and all high protein. Plus I take then whey protein shakes like a champ. Seriously no matter what I eat its has extermely low to zero fat in it... perhaps there in lies my weight problem/gift?

On a serious note, I take about 2 whey protein shakes a day and seriously think that made a huge differnence in my strength gains, is that just my mind playing into the protein shake company's clever marketing games, or does a consistant overdose of whey over a long duration of time really make a difference?

Thanks guys for the feedback, really!

oh and breathingmurder, that jump in your profile is cRaZy!

breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't have any pictures, I'm gonna do a powerlifting meet in about a month so I moght post some pictures from that though.

Hey, do you use powerlifter benching form (elbows in, shoulderblades pulled back, arched back) or do you bench BB style?

Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think you should put Bodybuilding on the back burner and get into powerlifting, I have the same body type, so i know what your working with. You could do decent in bench press comps at that weight, You could get a bench shirt and probably hit 350 in 6 months, and it would keep your shoulder heathy, That kind of weight on us thin guys couldn put an end to your lifting very soon. Just an idea.

You'll probably think i'm bragging now, but I remember in College (eastern New mexico university) they had some weight lifting competition, and it was judged based on body weight vs actual weight lifted. I remeber for squats i not only beat the record weight, but actually almost did twice as much as the record (I think they even had to lower my final score so I didnt look too unusual...). Yeah shoulder is really killing me today, think I'll try to lay off it for a week, then beat the piss out of it again :P . I really really like the idea of powerlifting rather than bodybuilding, maybe I've found a new circle of freinds in a common ground field that i had never considered even existed before.... Tell me more guys!! See I think what has really helped me is that all my freinds weight over 200 and are avid lifters themselves..so I never wanted to look like a puss and always tried my best to lift whatever they were putting up (even though they weighted 50-80 pounds more than me..).

Thanks for all the encouraging words and construtive advice.

Ryan

"do you use powerlifter benching form (elbows in, shoulderblades pulled back, arched back) or do you bench BB style?"

I think its a combination of both :P . What exactly is BB style?

I try to keep a "clean" form.

nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Congrats on the lift dude! Your looking lean and hard too.

Double my weight is a goal of mine too. But 300lb is the near term goal. I also weighed 150lb just a month ago. I've been bulking and I'm currently up to ~163lb now, but lost the 6pack completely, so some of that is obviously fat. I don't know my bench max right now since I don't max too often, but I was able to get up a rep at 275lb for the final set of my pyramid relatively easily today. So I know I'm getting close to that elusive (well, at least for me) 300lb bench mark too.
    My vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nykwan1/videos

big macca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) big macca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) big macca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) big macca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) big macca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) big macca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) big macca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What can you squat? Cause if you can't squat that much you won't make it as a powerlifter. Dunno why you want to do BB, they couldn't care less what you lift. Ronnie Coleman is by miles the best BB and he isn't anywhere near record breaking strength.

Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There are plenty of bench only comps. I play on going to my first meet in Dec. I think you should give it a try you might even put on some more size i know i have.

I think i will do that, where can I find information on regional contests near me? Also I havnt lifted heavy weight squats in quiet a while, what would be an impressive weight for someone my size (150lbs)? Gimme a number (not too crazy) and I'll shoot for it!

Also I'll try to post pictures next time i bench, maybe do a quick video. Dont want to be a bull****ter...

Thanks for all the advice!!

AndrewT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think i will do that, where can I find information on regional contests near me? Also I havnt lifted heavy weight squats in quiet a while, what would be an impressive weight for someone my size (150lbs)? Gimme a number (not too crazy) and I'll shoot for it!

Also I'll try to post pictures next time i bench, maybe do a quick video. Dont want to be a bull****ter...

Well, in most people they can squat more than they can benchpress and deadlift more than they can squat. So if you can benchpress 300lbs, you'd probably be looking along the lines of squatting 350lbs and deadlifting 400lbs? Maybe even more?

phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) phreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For your height and weight, 3xbw SQ and DL are attainable as you apparently have some talent. Sure it took you quite a while to bench 2x bw raw, but a significant amount of people will NEVER be able to do it.

"Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars."
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

WEDGE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WEDGE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WEDGE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i weigh 145ish, lil more, lil less, depending on... well, me, i know that i can parallel 300, which is lil over double, but my bench is lacking, only 210, that and i can only deadlift 325... its sad i had a question, do u have to have a bench shirt to be a power lifter?? jw'n, cause i dont have one, nor the money right now to buy one, and is it true that it'll add 30-50lbs. to ur bench max first time u use it???

WEDGE
    www.universal-muscle.com the best damn site in the world!!!

son of northern darkness hail-abbath's Avatar
    hail-abbath has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I weight around 150lbs, I've always been a light ass... but had that small man complex so i've lifted since I was 16 (on and off). Finally I'm 28 now, and I just put up 300 lbs today (might not sound like alot to you guys, but its double my body weight). Is this fairly average or normal for most amature weight lifters to achieve? Does it mean I can possibly start exploring body building contests and the sort? In other words, once you reach the twice your body weight limit (i'm reffering to benching), do you pass some invisible marker which means your physically capable of competing on a quasi amature/professional level? Or am I still a punk with a weight set wishing I was big like Arnold.
    all it means is that you benched twice your body weight
    although a 300 pound bench press is really good, i would say its way above average.. well with the exception of the people on these boards.. its above average since almsot everyone here reps 500 with ease
    15 years old
    6'0''
    150 lbs(about)
    bench= 210 lbs(was 220, but pulled my left pec or w/e.. was a bitch)
    deadlift= 325
    squat= 195 for reps of 12... no clue as to what my max is.

"almsot everyone here reps 500 with ease "

Oh totally agree with your comment, however I would venture to guess those reping the 500 also weight around 250...

Also to someone elses comment that a 350 lb squat and a 400lb deadlift would be good, those numbers sound pretty easy. I'll take some pictures Tuesday and attempt both of them (who knows maybe I'll be writing you guys from the hospitol aftwards ). Also doing curls last night I noticed I was curling 10 sets of 10 with 45 lb weights on each side... I think thats pretty good, because my beefy buddies cant even do that! Just wish my arms would better reflect the weight i'm pushin. Got any impressive numbers to shoot for max curl for somone my size?

I'm also going ot look into one of these bench shirts!

Thanks
    Last edited by hiii98; 10-17-2004 at 11:45 AM.

Wedge

No you dont have to have a bench shirt to powerlift, but you probably wont be competive without one. but who cares if you want to go just do it.

A shirt may or maynot give you 30 pounds or so, just depends on a lot of things.most of the time you need a weight that is more than you have ever done before just to get the weight to touch your chest, so you better have the power to lock it out. I only got about 20 pounds out of my shirt when i first got it, but now after a few month of lifting in the shirt i can do about 50 more than i ever did raw. I bought my shirt barely used for $50 and there only 85 new so there not that expensive.

bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50) bonecrusher will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    your a ****ing anamial....**** size if you are benching double your body weight....i bet u can **** people up twice your size am i right???
    20 years old
    6ft 1
    190lbs

Bench 310 lbs 1 rpm

squat 400 1 rpm

12 percent BF

I would say someone who's benching 300 should be squatting around 400 at least and deadlifting more. It depends on how you're built though.

"your a ****ing anamial....**** size if you are benching double your body weight....i bet u can **** people up twice your size am i right???"

Oh the carnage a few weeks ago... the horror.. lol. Yeah I'm ****ed with sometimes at bars when we go out. This is hard to respond to your post because I dont want to come off as a tuff guy or a chip on my shoulder, because thats not who I am at all. Just some people in special circumstances just plain deserve to get beat !! This last one, a crowd of people surrounded us as this 6'5 guy walked up to my brother as we were leaving and punched him cold out. Needless to say... I immediatly saw red.... and alot of it LOL

I think I left the scene in as much shock as I put the crowd in..
    Attached Images