Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Watch the triangle brah JAGERBOY's Avatar
    JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KRANE View Post
    And even then, it can be a difficult book to understand. I'd liken it to writing a book explaining nuclear physics to a 3rd grader
    Well, what an interesting thing for a God to do when understanding the bible is the difference of someone going to hell or not! How swell!
    "If the data is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution, to deny that reality will make us a cult -- some odd group that is not really interacting with the world"- Evangelical Bible scholar Bruce Waltke

JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Beatitude View Post
    Anybody that believes in God, before even entering this thread, would be able to tell what a ridiculous thread this is based off of the title alone, "How did God do "X"".

If you believe in an all eternal all powerful being that was never created, then I don't see why this is any problem whatsoever. The answer is: Because he's God. That's sounds like a silly answer to you, but that's basically the easiest answer, and it's the correct answer. Don't misunderstand, I'm not being smart/rude with you, but I want you for one moment to just consider the question that you asked.

-You are asking how an all powerful Being did something.
    -You are asking how this Being created light before he created the sun, even though this very Being that you are referring to is the one who established the laws of our universe in the first place that make it so that the sun generates light.

I think considering those two points above will answer your own question.
    ---
    Besides, even the ancient prophet that wrote the book of Genesis would know that the sun generates light. You don't have to be a 21st century astrologer to look up into the sky and see that the sun produces light. When you stare at it, it hurts your eyes, and when it sets, it becomes a lot darker, when it rises, it becomes a lot lighter. It's pretty self-evident to anybody that the sun produces light. So of course the person that wrote this knew that the sun generates light; but even so, they recorded it such as it is. Before the sun, there was light. This can be taken both literally and spiritually simultaneously.
    I already considered them before making the thread. The difference between me and you is I DONT believe an all powerful being created us. I think the bible was a story that someone wrote to explain the unexplainable at that time frame. So, back when they thought that the sun went up and down on the horizon instead of the earth rotating, the concept of how night and day works would be alot different back then.
    "If the data is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution, to deny that reality will make us a cult -- some odd group that is not really interacting with the world"- Evangelical Bible scholar Bruce Waltke

Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JAGERBOY View Post
    I already considered them before making the thread. The difference between me and you is I DONT believe an all powerful being created us. I think the bible was a story that someone wrote to explain the unexplainable at that time frame. So, back when they thought that the sun went up and down on the horizon instead of the earth rotating, the concept of how night and day works would be alot different back then.
    Yes, I know that you don't believe that an all powerful being created us. But you made this thread asking how an all powerful being would do so and so, so I answered your question under the context in which it was asked.
    Last edited by Beatitude; 07-02-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Yes, I know that you don't believe that an all powerful being created us. But you made this thread asking how an all powerful being would do so and so, so I answered your question under the context in which it was asked.
    The problem is, he didnt just say "let there be light!" and then moved on from there. I have no problem with an all powerful deity creating light without a sun. My problem is that he also created night and day specifically. There can be no night and day without a sun and a rotating planet. Please re-read my OP.

Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000) Beatitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    The problem is, he didnt just say "let there be light!" and then moved on from there. I have no problem with an all powerful deity creating light without a sun. My problem is that he also created night and day specifically. There can be no night and day without a sun and a rotating planet. Please re-read my OP.
    Once again, you are asking how there can be a night and day in a scenario with an all powerful being pulling the strings. The question isn't any more credible.

StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000)
    So God was dark, then he turned himself on for light then?
    someone forgot their thinking cap The universe was dark, and God stepped into the dark universe that he just made. Sort of like a lightning bug entering into the dark nesting place it just prepared....

EDIT: I apologize for the smart remark i made above. I will not delete was already said but sometimes my internet smarty pants alter ego kicks in.
    Last edited by StrongInChrist; 07-02-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Once again, you are asking how there can be a night and day in a scenario with an all powerful being pulling the strings. The question isn't any more credible.
    So you want to have your cake and eat it too? So I guess now God can make a square triangle, and he can make a rock thats too heavy for himself to lift according to Beatitude.

Originally Posted by StrongInChrist View Post
    someone forgot their thinking cap The universe was dark, and God stepped into the dark universe that he just made. Sort of like a lightning bug entering into the dark nesting place it just prepared....
    So god is an all powerful lightning bug.

StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000)
    So god is an all powerful lightning bug.
    A very large lightning bug

Cherchez la femme...Se si KRANE's Avatar
    KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

A little more everyday

Well, what an interesting thing for a God to do when understanding the bible is the difference of someone going to hell or not! How swell!
    The only reason you don't fully understand the Bible is that you haven't grown up enough. How arrogant are those that condemn the Bible because all the answers aren't instantly revealed. Some answers in the Bible can take a life time for us to understand.

I grew up with the Bible, and yet I'm still learning things from it everyday. Your position just prove you still have a lot to learn as well. However the foundation of the Bible is "faith" (even a little is a start) but if you don't have that, it will NEVER make sense
    🎥
    Site oldest post: [url]https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172072283&p=1540411941&viewfull=1#post1540411941[/url]

Filmmaker Thread: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165304201&p=1534834621#post1534834621

timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Light is only a level 0 D&D spell

I think if God created a universe he can make light...

Originally Posted by KRANE View Post
    The only reason you don't fully understand the Bible is that you haven't grown up enough. How arrogant are those that condemn the Bible because all the answers aren't instantly revealed. Some answers in the Bible can take a life time for us to understand.

I grew up with the Bible, and yet I'm still learning things from it everyday. Your position just prove you still have a lot to learn as well. However the foundation of the Bible is "faith" (even a little is a start) but if you don't have that, it will NEVER make sense
    How would faith allow someones brain to understand something? Thats a contradiction. Faith, is what you use when you dont know something for a fact. Understanding and faith cant really coexist with this type of thing. Again, what a great god you worship that sends people to hell if they dont do things in the bible, yet, he made it purposely hard to understand.

And the ad hominen attack is pretty cute. I haven't grown up enough? Trust me, I had to grow up ALOT quicker than alot of people. DOnt jump to conclusions because your little myth doesnt make any since. Its very clear that god creates night and day before he creates the sun which is an impossiblity. Can god create a square circle?

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    HA, Exactly. Once you start with "its not literal" nonsense then you are compromising your entire religion and belief system. Its just downright intellectually dishonest. Reps.
    Well, maybe for some people, but not for Catholics or Orthodox.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
    Well, maybe for some people, but not for Catholics or Orthodox.
    ???

greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    ???
    Some Protestants insist that the Bible is to be taken literally.
    Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe that the bible is the Truth, but not necessarily a literally "blow by blow" description of God's Word or the history of God's people. Although we do believe that many parts of the Bible is historically accurate.
    Additionally, they believe that God progressively revealed His nature to his people over time.

Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe that God's word has been transmitted via two paths. Holy Tradition and Scripture.

So, to ask how light existed before the Sun, has no impact on how a Catholic or Orthodox Christian sees his faith.

However, taking this from another perspective, light probably existed before any star existed. Between the big bang and the first star, the universe was extremely energetic.
    http://www.pbs.org/deepspace/images/tlbigbang.gif
    Source: pbs.org
    So the answer to your question is described in the hypothesis posted above in the timeframe labeled "radiation era".
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------

Some Protestants insist that the Bible is to be taken literally.
    Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe that the bible is the Truth, but not necessarily a literally "blow by blow" description of God's Word or the history of God's people. Although we do believe that many parts of the Bible is historically accurate.
    Additionally, they believe that God progressively revealed His nature to his people over time.

Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe that God's word has been transmitted via two paths. Holy Tradition and Scripture.

So, to ask how light existed before the Sun, has no impact on how a Catholic or Orthodox Christian sees his faith.

However, taking this from another perspective, light probably existed before any star existed. Between the big bang and the first star, the universe was extremely energetic.
    http://www.pbs.org/deepspace/images/tlbigbang.gif
    Source: pbs.org
    So the answer to your question is described in the hypothesis posted above in the timeframe labeled "radiation era".
    To be honest, I titled this thread incorrectly. I really meant, how did god create night and day. Ive tried to explain this several times but people keep sticking with the light part, which I guess isn't their fault, but try reading all the thread so you see where Im coming from.

To be honest, I titled this thread incorrectly. I really meant, how did god create night and day. Ive tried to explain this several times but people keep sticking with the light part, which I guess isn't their fault, but try reading all the thread so you see where Im coming from.
    Sorry for not getting it the first time.
    But the answer is still the same.
    If you believe that the bible is literal, then you have a lot of rationalizing to do. But since the biggest Christian Churches don't hold the bible to be inerrant on history, but only inerrant on faith, your question is a moot for them.
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------

Sorry for not getting it the first time.
    But the answer is still the same.
    If you believe that the bible is literal, then you have a lot of rationalizing to do. But since the biggest Christian Churches don't hold the bible to be inerrant on history, but only inerrant on faith, your question is a moot for them.
    Exactly, if you feel the bible is literal, then you have to make up alot of strange rationalizations to explain it. But with that said, I dont see how you can take it any other way than literal, as I said before, you are compromising your entire religion if you say some parts aren't literal. Because if you do that, then many parts, or all parts could not be literal. How do you know? Either you go 100% or you dont go at all IMO.

Exactly, if you feel the bible is literal, then you have to make up alot of strange rationalizations to explain it. But with that said, I dont see how you can take it any other way than literal, as I said before, you are compromising your entire religion if you say some parts aren't literal. Because if you do that, then many parts, or all parts could not be literal. How do you know? Either you go 100% or you dont go at all IMO.
    Why would I be compromising my faith if I don't take it as being literal?
    That part I don't get. The Catholic Christians believe that the Bishops of the Church in union with the pope, provide the definitive interpretation of the bible not individuals. Orthodox would say something similar (w/o references to the pope)

Often, non-religious fiction contains various truths about human nature, yet just because it is fiction does not make the truth it contains invalid.

I don't get your argument
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------

timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by StrongInChrist View Post
    Monsterg8er is correct. God is light. 1John 1 says "God is light and in him dwelleth no darkness at all." The Bible never said God "created light" he said "let there be light". God literally stepped into the darkness that was once our universe

This is confirmed in Gen. when it says:

"and darkness was[a] on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters."

So Gods spirit was hovering over this dark place awaiting his moment to intervene.

/thread
    great. so he isnt outside of time. glad we cleared that up.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Since the sun (and other sources emit light) the concept of light and it's components must have existed before the existance of the light source.

In object oriented program, an object's properties are created before the object is - is that a fitting analogy?
    Last edited by IdahoViking; 07-03-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why would I be compromising my faith if I don't take it as being literal?
    That part I don't get. The Catholic Christians believe that the Bishops of the Church in union with the pope, provide the definitive interpretation of the bible not individuals. Orthodox would say something similar (w/o references to the pope)

Often, non-religious fiction contains various truths about human nature, yet just because it is fiction does not make the truth it contains invalid.

I don't get your argument
    The problem is figuring out what's fiction and what's the truth.

The whole idea of God, heaven, and hell might be fiction while the idea of doing the right things (eg: love your neighbour) might be the truth.

Originally Posted by sup_builder2 View Post
    The problem is figuring out what's fiction and what's the truth.

The whole idea of God, heaven, and hell might be fiction while the idea of doing the right things (eg: love your neighbour) might be the truth.
    You know, eventually it will come down to faith no matter how you slice it.
    A little off topic, but eventually, even science lapse into philosophy.

For example, string theory is a mathematical way of describing the universe. There are multiple variant of theory, none of which can really be tested and each of which can describe the observable universe.
    (http://www.teachersdomain.org/resour...hil/index.html)

So, to believe in string theory, requires a faith that is untestable.
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------

timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50) timmy47 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

For example, string theory is a mathematical way of describing the universe. There are multiple variant of theory, none of which can really be tested and each of which can describe the observable universe.

no one really says this is hard facts though. its just like some scientists believe in an eternal universe while others believe the big bang. string theory isnt wirtten in stone as truth. although the bible is thought to be the true word of god no ifs ands or butts.
    Last edited by timmy47; 07-03-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Originally Posted by timmy47 View Post
    no one really says this is hard facts though. its just like some scientists believe in an eternal universe while others believe the big bang. string theory isnt wirtten in stone as truth. although the bible is thought to be the true word of god no ifs ans or butts.
    Exactly, its the supposed word of god, no ifs ands or buts about it. So for you to say "no, thats not literal" is compromising everything else that is said in the bible.

sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_builder2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I agree that everything requires some kind faith, but science uses less faith and more evidence. Religion on the other hand is mostly faith, and it's scary to follow it when it's a matter of someone's life and death. I really don't care if you believe in God or not, but you shouldn't FORCE other people to do the same. Islam is an example. It tries to control a whole society based on blind faith.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sup_builder2 View Post
    I agree that everything requires some kind faith, but science uses less faith and more evidence. Religion on the other hand is mostly faith, and it's scary to follow it when it's a matter of someone's life and death. I really don't care if you believe in God or not, but you shouldn't FORCE other people to do the same. Islam is an example. It tries to control a whole society based on blind faith.
    I'm a Christian, but I agree with you - I do not have the right to FORCE my religion on you. I can try to lead by example, I can try to answer questions you may have - but that is where my involvment ends.

That is not to say that I cannot, or should not, use my Christian views to dictate how I vote come election time - after all this is a democracy and Christians are as much part of this democracy as Jews, atheists, etc.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FistFirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

this is from the kjv (a little closer to original meaning)

it leaves out the word "then" at the beggining of verse 16
    this so now it just says what he did it doesnt give a time refrence the sun could very well have all ready been in exsistance for 3 days

joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joelz54_99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Why did God create outer space?
    "my job title is douchebag"- some planet fitness thread

Originally Posted by timmy47 View Post
    no one really says this is hard facts though. its just like some scientists believe in an eternal universe while others believe the big bang. string theory isnt wirtten in stone as truth. although the bible is thought to be the true word of god no ifs ands or butts.
    Timmy,

That's what I believe, but it still comes down to faith
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------