Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 Day Split plus Full Body Day - Input?

With 2 weeks left in my full body routine, I'm already looking ahead:

Workout A - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps 3x8-10x60s rest

Flat DB or BB Bench
    Incline or Decline DB or BB Bench
    Flat, incline, or decline variation of DB or cable chest flys
    Seated DB or BB Shoulder Press
    DB or Cable Lateral Raises
    One rear delt exercise
    Dips
    Triceps iso move

Workout B - Back/Biceps 3x8-10x60s rest

Pullup or Lat Pulldown
    BOR or Low Row
    Inverted Row
    Pullovers
    One underhand grip bicep exercise
    One hammer grip bicep exercise

Workout C - Legs 3x8-10x60s rest

Squat or Deadlift
    RDL or Lying Hamstring Curl
    DB Lunges
    Calves

Workout D - Full Body 4x5x120s rest

Squat
    Flat BB Bench Press
    Weighted Pullup
    Seated Shoulder Press

So here's the idea: Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday perform workouts A, B and C (rotating the order each week). Thursday or Friday would always be workout D. I figure that A, B and C would cause hypertrophy while the full body day would help build strength. Am I better off focusing on one goal at a time? What do you think?
    Go Big Red!

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, I don't know why you couldn't do this, but I don't know why you would. To me it looks like too many different exercises to where you won't really progress on any one lift. Others may disagree. I tend to be very, very basic on my exercise selection and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I think you are making a mistake though in thinking that in order to gain size you need to do isolation movements or fancy movements. Why not just do the basic exercises in a more hypertrophy specific rep range like 8-12?

Disclaimer: In no way shape or form am I saying that splits or isolation exercises are not good.

Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Husker12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Originally Posted by DallasLynx View Post
    Well, I don't know why you couldn't do this, but I don't know why you would. To me it looks like too many different exercises to where you won't really progress on any one lift. Others may disagree. I tend to be very, very basic on my exercise selection and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I think you are making a mistake though in thinking that in order to gain size you need to do isolation movements or fancy movements. Why not just do the basic exercises in a more hypertrophy specific rep range like 8-12?

Disclaimer: In no way shape or form am I saying that splits or isolation exercises are not good.
    Well let me explain my reasoning for these moves:

First, flat and incline (to some extent decline) are all basic moves (correct me if I'm wrong). The chest flys are in there b/c I'd like to fill out my inner chest - I usually do them with the cable station to emphasize the squeeze and to keep resistance throughout the motion. Dips are another basic move, I could drop the tricep iso exercise, I suppose. Shoulder press is a basic move and I think lateral raises produce results.

Pullups and BOR are basic moves. I am adding the inverted row b/c I slouch somewhat. That's the same reason I add in rear delt moves for every shoulder workout. The moves have helped, just not where I want to be yet with my posture. The pullovers are in there b/c I'd like to emphasize widening my back, and I admit they could be dropped and I could focus on wider grip for pullups (does a wider grip on BOR help widen your lats, too?). Biceps moves are superfluous, I could definitely just do one move instead of two and alternate between standard and hammer moves.

I don't think there is anything unnecessary in my leg day.

What do you say?
    Go Big Red!

ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would do it like this
    One main exercise to build workout A, B and C around (say Squat, Dead, Incline Bench) Then for the full body i would do these three exercises again with the weight i used then on the followin workouts A, B and C i would add weight the them

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I guess I'm confused as to why you want to try to make a push/pull routine with one day of full body? Why not do one or the other? You can always change routines after a few months.

I'm not saying your idea won't work, I'm just not really sure why you want to do it this way. Why can't you have a strength oriented lift as the first lift of each day of a push/pull/legs? Then add in higher rep work for hypertrophy.

Originally Posted by DallasLynx View Post
    I guess I'm confused as to why you want to try to make a push/pull routine with one day of full body? Why not do one or the other? You can always change routines after a few months.

I'm not saying your idea won't work, I'm just not really sure why you want to do it this way. Why can't you have a strength oriented lift as the first lift of each day of a push/pull/legs? Then add in higher rep work for hypertrophy.
    Yeah I dunno. I did a program last summer, all high rep (15-20 rep sets). It was 5 days a week - chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs, full body, with a day of rest between legs and full body. I gained 5 pounds in 3 months (without adding calories to my diet) and maintained a six pack. I really liked the workout but plateaued after 3-4 months. I also lost the 5 pounds when I went back to my old routine - that was weird I thought, and I didn't change supplements or diet. I thought this program would be similar, but different. I really think I'm going to stick to and upper/lower split now. Keep the 5 main moves at 5x5, throw in some secondary movements to target weak points with 3x10-12 (only one or two moves per workout).
    Go Big Red!