Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 215 :: How Can One Achieve Bodybuilding Success?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: How Can One Achieve Bodybuilding Success?

For the week of: January 6th - January 12th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are so many keys to bodybuilding success; dedication, motivation, consistency, etc. All are important pieces to the bodybuilding puzzle.

How can one achieve bodybuilding success?

What are some important characteristics a bodybuilder should have?

Compared to other sports, how difficult is it for one to achieve success in the bodybuilding sport?

* IMPORTANT: Please make sure your responses are original and not copied from previous topics.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

Important Updates:
    * Store Credit Change (Effective September 10, 2009):
    Best response will get $50 in credit to use in our online store!

* Details of 'Topic of the Week' Changes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=21

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

There are too many steps to take to achieve success. As noted above there are a few things any bodybuilder must utilize to become competitive and make a name for themselves as they step on stage. To get things started lets keep it simple. Dedication, motivation, consistency, posing, meal planning, working out smart, and supplementation all have to be put into a puzzle and pieced together slowly. Bodybuilding is not a sprint it is a marathon. To be successful this individual must realize the amount of time and effort to be put in to reach their goal of stepping on stage and placing. With all of these pieces to the puzzle you have to notice that without all of them there is a less chance of becoming that person you dreamed of. The best way to achieve success through my eyes is through transformation with pictures and/or videos. Take pictures every 2-3 weeks and notice how much your body composition changes. Seeing the weekly changes it motivation to keep working harder and striving for your goal. Seeing that gut slowly diminish, the lower back fat starting to shed, and your upper body shredding and veins starting to pop are all signs that you are on the right track and making success to getting your body in prime shape to be successful.

Dedication - The first thing people struggle with is dedication. They start out having a dream and wanting to achieve success on stage, but in the end they really do not have what it takes to lift and diet on a consistent basis. The first major step for your dedication is picking out a show. If its 10 months away, 1 year away or 2 years away pick a show that you want to do , and STICK TO IT. After you pick your show now its your time to stick and be dedicated to diet and training because that is going to be 95% of how your body shapes up to be successful. Plan ahead for your meals by however you track them (fitday.com, the daily plate, or writing down your calories on a sheet of paper). Write down your workouts in a notebook, and continually take it with you to the gym to measure progress. Are you becoming stronger? Are you hitting a plateau? Are you seeing success in adding more reps to your exercises? These are things you have to gauge to see if you are being successful.

Motivation - As stated above motivation is critical. If you cannot walk into the gym and want to be a better person and improve on what you did yesterday you are setting yourself up for not being successful but going through the motions (which is what you do not want). There has to be a trigger going off inside of yourself saying that this is what I want to do, and if you do not have the fire burning inside you can bet your competition does and that they are outworking you. Motivation for me as stated is best seen through pictures or videos of my physique. I have always taken pictures every 2-3 weeks or a video update once a month to see the body composition changes. I try to pick out lagging body parts, or body-parts that tend to hold more fat and take measurements to see if they are reducing through diet and cardio. If things are not moving in the right direction this is a signal I need to make a change to get my body going in the right direction. As I continue to track my progress I can notice where things are starting to dial in, and where I can improve to bring up my body for the stage to make an identical physique to impress the judges.

Consistency -

Ever hear the phrase "Consistency is Key" That statement is not a lie its 100% truth. If you are not consistent you are setting yourself up for failure. Bodybuilding is all about being consistent. Posing and nailing your routine to make sure things go smooth on stage. Planning your meals and getting in adequate calories to diet and preserve as much Lean Body Mass as possible. Getting in your workouts and cardio every week to attain your ideal physique. Being consistent with taking all your supplements to give yourself that extra edge above your competition. Look at how many scenarios I am giving you and how if you fall off one of them you may be falling behind in success. There are so many little details in bodybuilding that can sidetrack your progress. Not spiking your foot on your side chest, side tricep, or rear lat spread may give your opponent an edge in revealing your body, the only reason to not have this down is by consistently practicing your posing or getting a coach to look over you. Are you willing to give a certain chunk of your time everyday/every week towards fulfilling your goal? That is what consistency is all about. Getting into a rhythm and never skipping a beat, by doing this you are making good habits and allowing yourself to slowly make progress.

Posing -

A vital part of going on stage and showing off your physique is posing. One of the most underrated tools in bodybuilding is knowing how to expose your body and show your strengths/weakness's. While many people do not believe in practicing posing in the offseason, and only paying attention as time closes in on you contest they are setting them self up for failure. Posing is a great tool to know because by showing your weakness's in the offseason it allows yourself time to hammer away at them in the weight room prior to your show. Bringing up a body part that will lack on stage is a good tool to know because this will create symmetry which judges will be looking for. Having a big back, thick striated glutes, bulging biceps, and thick triceps will make a complete package, but if you step on stage and you cannot show off your lats or know how to nail a front double bicep by forgetting to flex your quads or suck in your gut, You are falling behind! I highly recommend finding or hiring a posing coach. If not try to find someone in your gym who has competed to spend time with them on getting to expose your body and understanding how to get down the basic 8 mandatory poses.

Meal Planning -

What makes the most of your physique? Diet. People have said your body is reflected 80% through your diet and what you eat. I have to confirm that this is true. While calories are calories if you fuel your body with sugar laden foods, high amounts of trans fat, and greasy burgers are you really going to set yourself up for success? Not so much. Finding the foods that suit your body best is the first and foremost things bodybuilders need to do. Some people do not react very well to grains. People will find that they get bloated very easy off eating whole wheat breads, oatmeal, and pasta. If this is the case you need to go back to the drawing board and sketch up a low carb, higher fat, and high protein diet. A great example of this would be the Scivation Cut-Diet or CHA diet which has been utilized by many members of Team Scivation in Contest Prep and have come back with hardware! Some individuals on the other hand swear by carbohydrates. Some people can eat up to 350-400g of carbs while dieting and achieve success. They are flowing with energy, keeping a very full physique, and slowly losing weight. A prime example would be Tommy Jeffers in his prep with Layne Norton when he won his Pro-Card at the OCB Midwest states. At the lowest caloric total he had carbohydrates at a steady rate of 250 grams a day! Most people do not even bulk on that amount. Through that number he planned out his meals and made sure to take in 50% of his carbs around his training, 25% at breakfast, and the other amount spread throughout the rest of his meals. Focusing on a diet rich in whole grains, lean proteins, and essential fatty acids is the key to success is keeping a bodybuilding physique!

Training Smarter Not Harder -

Some people believe that when dieting its essential to do a lot of reps and a lot of sets. FALSE! Lyle McDonald sums this up best when dieting and training. You must train with lower volume, higher intensity, and less frequency. To achieve success you have to put as much pressure on the muscle as possible to preserve what you have. Doing a lot of reps and sets is only depleting your body and stressing cortisol to the max. Doing that will decrease recovery and lead your body to being banged up and run down. This is the last thing you need while on contest prep and going down the stretch towards peak week. Some people may fall off the train, but to those who go into the gym, get their session in, hit their cardio, and stay on track with diet will be walking away with hardware at the end of their show. I would suggest training hard and heavy on compound movements 4-5x a week, you can increase the reps on small isolation movements, but the sole focus should be on a 45-60 minute session.

Supplementation -

The last piece of the puzzle is supplementation. As a bodybuilder you should be taking the essentials - Whey Protein (to hit your protein needs), Creatine (to give your body extra ATP towards strength gains), Fish-Oils (to hit your EFA's), and a Multi-Vitamin (to get those essential vitamins you cannot get through whole foods). As you continue to drop calories you get to eat less food. This is critical while a multi-vitamin can give you those vitamins and minerals which cannot be obtained in your caloric limit. The last two products I would add are Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) and a Fat-Burner. Branch Chains are awesome because they are instantly absorbed by the bloodstream. A great product to have is Scivation Xtend. During training what do you lose? Aminos and Protein because the body is breaking down muscle. BCAA's instantly recharge your body of what it is losing to keep yourself in an anabolic state at ALL TIMES!. What do you need to get rid of that last layer of fat on your abs? Are you holding a little extra water/fat on your hamstrings? Have no fear when you add in a fat burner on top of good cardio and diet. This will be able to give you a boost of energy and shed that last layer of fat to have you looking your best on stage!

Compared to other sports, how difficult is it for one to achieve success in the bodybuilding sport?

It is very difficult to achieve success. There are so many pieces to the puzzle to become the best and be successful. First and foremost genetics are going to play a part. Some people have great genetics and can look good all year round, some people on the other hand will have to add a lot of weight to add size, and with that they are setting themselves up for a longer diet and a bigger chance at losing muscle during their contest prep. Those lucky individuals with good genetics may only need to diet 12-16 weeks to get into contest shape and step on stage to be successful. With other sports you will always have to be consistent in everything you do. Just like practice plays in football, you will have to practice your posing on a daily/weekly basis. Just like in baseball you can work on your baseball swing, while for bodybuilding you can focus on attacking those lagging body parts in the gym. As with every other sports Bodybuilding takes a lot of time. For some they are born strong and can build a strong lean physique in no time! Others will have to work for years upon years to get themselves in contest shape to come away successful. Bodybuilding is a very under-rated and unheard of sport that needs to get more attention. Bodybuilders put in as much time, if not more than some professional athletes when it comes to doing what they do best to get on stage and show off their body. Not too many athletes will you find hitting a diet 24/7 for 365 days. Getting in the gym on a daily basis to enhance their physique, or spending that extra time traveling hours away to meet with a posing coach to expose their weakness's to bring up in the offseason.

UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Success in bodybuilding

Here the real deal. I'm not going to blow a bunch of smoke and tell you that anyone can be a champion bodybuilder. sorry to burst your bubble but I have trained many people and everyone does not respond the same to training, also not everyone can get their bodyfat down to the ridiculous levels I have to actually win a show.
    If you do have the genetics to win a show thats not enough anymore, you have to train your ass off, eat massive amounts of clean food, cook everything yourself and put bodybuilding first in your life for a few months. if you have a wife kids and job like me it means massive planning in the months leading up to my 12 weeks of preparation and shrink wrapping my skin to my muscles for that one day. and its that one day is all that matters not Friday or Sunday. it the Saturday Morning prejudging that matters period!
    That also means never missing a workout and learning what it takes to "present" your body onstage in your underwear sometimes in front of hundreds of people with this nasty tar all over your body to make you look darker under the bright lights. and hope that the judges like the package you are presenting to them.
    Then once you truly practice your posing every day and put together a posing routine that makes the crowd stand in awe and give you a standing O when you are done. you can sit back with your trophy (or thirty in my case) or if you were really the **** your overall trophy from winning the whole damn show (5 times for me)
    you will realize that training at the gym and posing in front of a mirror with your buddys is a far cry from being a champion bodybuilder.
    if your success means just placing in a show that can be done much easier by picking the right show and making sure you take it seriously and prepare right.
    Ask someone whos done it to help you. you can learn from their experience and not make too many rookie mistakes
    Last edited by UCIMTHEROCK; 01-08-2010 at 11:13 PM.
    I do not recognize the word fail.

Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Blake_M has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

To have success in bodybuilding you need to be dedicated to what you want. You have to move around every part of your life to help you achieve your best. From everything you put into your body to all the sweat that comes out of your body. You really have to want it if you are going to succeed because it is not for the weak at heart. You?ll need to fight temptation on a daily basis to make sure you aren?t taking steps backward. Temptations could be staying out with friends till late, eating foods that aren?t going to help you, or skipping the gym. The best all around attribute for success in bodybuilding is dedication because without it, you won?t succeed.

Dedication
    As I stated before, I believe, that dedication is the number one most important characteristic that you can have as a bodybuilder. Without dedication you will get nowhere! Dedication will be needed for your food intake, training, supplementation, sleeping, etc.
    Let?s start with food intake. This will probably be the hardest to stay dedicated to. Living in America means you are completely bombarded everywhere you go with fatty, carb-loaded, and sodium infested foods. While you see everyone out there enjoying the tastes of these bad foods you are stuck with the same old healthy food that you eat everyday all day. You think to yourself, ?Oh, what could just one little piece do to me?? As a matter of fact it could do a lot because most likely you aren?t just going to be having ?one little piece.?
    Training, for people like me, is going to be the easy part of this because I love to be in the gym. However, for others, this may be very difficult. Getting up very early in the morning so you can go get on a cardio machine? I think most people would rather be sleeping in a comfy bed but you need to do it in order to succeed. For weight training this is going to be the place where people look forward to. Exerting all of your stress and energy and getting stronger and bigger at the same time? Sound like a good deal to me. But weight training isn?t just about going to the gym and doing what is available at the moment. It requires some studying on what routine you should do and when. There are so many parts to the science behind it that it will make your head want to explode.
    People like to think that supplements are the cure all for results. Well as many of you have come to find, they are not! They can help assist you in your goals but they are not going to give you maximum results, you are going to. When people complain about how they wasted $60.00 on a fat burner because they didn?t get results I ask, ?How were you eating and training?? 95% of the time someone will either be eating terribly or being very inconsistent with their training. Your work will do much more than any supplement will do but I?m not saying that there is no room for supplementation. Start with protein powders; it is a great way to get in some protein before and after your workout or just during the day. You can even find powders that have BCAA?s that will help you even further to get more muscle growth. Multivitamins should be essential to everyone even if they are not training. So if you think that people who aren?t bodybuilding should take them then that should really stress that bodybuilders should. You are tearing down your body far more than others and you need the nutrients to help you rebuild an even stronger you. There are so many other supplements that can help you but do not solely rely on them for results.
    Finally we have come to something that would seem easy, sleeping. If you just think about it not very many people worry about sleeping as being one of the things holding them back. However, sleeping will greatly affect how far you can go with bodybuilding. You can just look to the old saying that ?muscles aren?t built in the gym, they are built in rest.? So you think you would need to be as dedicated to sleeping as you are training but usually people don?t think that way. You need to be getting at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night to recover from hard workouts. This means not going out with friends till three in the morning every night or even weekend. You will start to wear down when your sleep does not level out with your training.

Perseverance
    When you think of perseverance in bodybuilding what do you think of? Getting through that cardio session to burn as much fat as possible? That would be a great answer since it can be easy to fade through a cardio session and not worry about finishing it out. But there are many other things that you need to persevere through to succeed. A big one would be trying to get through a plateau. A plateau can leave you unmotivated to keep going since you are not seeing results that you would like. You need to study what you need to do to break this to see if you are doing something wrong or if you just need to switch things up. Perseverance could also deal with eating the right foods. How many times do you sit their eating food that sometimes you may be particularly sick of and you see a friend or peer eating a doughnut? Wow does that doughnut look good. Your taste buds are screaming for a sweet food to satisfy them. You need to suck it up and tell those taste buds to shut up and keep eating like you are supposed to.

Positive Attitude
    A positive attitude entails every good characteristic about a bodybuilder. Just think, are you going to succeed and bust through a plateau if you have a negative attitude? Well, probably not since you may just go on a binge of gluttony and destroy what you have worked hard for. Bodybuilders with positive attitudes are always looking at the good side of things and the future. This will help them to get early in the morning to get that AM cardio or eat the right food during the day. If you have a positive attitude you will most likely be looking to the future with your bodybuilding goals which will motivate you and help you out more than you know.

To achieve success in bodybuilding is very, very difficult. In most sports if you have sweets or any bad food that would hold a bodybuilder back won?t affect you too much. Although training will be difficult in any sport if you are a professional, eating will be the difference. For this reason I believe that bodybuilding is much more difficult because you have to change every aspect of your life so much. This is why if you go to the beach you are going to be seeing many muscular and cut men/women. You are going to see a lot of people doing water sports like wakeboarding, knee boarding, skiing, etc. Or even the people playing Frisbee or volleyball. People can achieve success in sports if they are naturally talented and practice at it but bodybuilders have to be very strict about everything to achieve success.

TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In my own opinion, I have three ways if you are willing to achieve your shape.

* Proper Diet
    * Enough rest
    * Right exercise

Good luck!

Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lex29us is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I believe that if one is in search of Bodybuilding success one needs to be extremely persistant. Bodybuilding is not a sport that necessarily goes off talent. It takes an extremely focused individual to be willing to go through the rigors of what is really involved in bodybuilding. You have to be diligent in your training, supplementation and most importantly your nutrition. Most people can bag the frist 2, but that third one can really throw some for a loop. Theres also a mental toughness thats involved that doesn't always come up in conversation. The days that you are supposed to be in the gym, but you really dont feel like going, those are the times you have to mentally suck it up and drag your ass down to the facitliy. So if one is to be trully successful in bodybuilding that person must own all these factors in order to cement their name in the books.

Determination is a big key. In this sport you have to be determined to achieve success. There can be no room for doubt, because doubt can run through you like cancer. Once that "uncertainty" feeling creeps in, if its not discarded immediately its going to cause a host of problems down the road.

Desire is another important aspect. You have to want it. Bodybuilding for many is not a lucrative sport. There are many pro's that work 2nd or 3rd jobs just to support their lifestyle. If you dont have a sponsor or contract with a some company then all contest fees, supplements, etc are all coming out of your own pocket. So there are no garuntess with bodybuidling. However people still do it and more are getting into it because of their desire to be the best, or to create the best person that then can create. Like myself many have gotten into it because of a pre-existing health issue. Others simply a lifestyle change. Whatever the reason the desire becomes infectous, and it takes over. That Desire is what can make a person that might not feel like going to the gym, still get in the car and head down anyway. The desire to be the best, is a charachteristic that must be had.

Lastly visualization is key. You have to visualize everything. From seeing you meals in your head the next day, to increasing your weight successfully on a bench press. visualiztion is a very important tool needed in bodybuilding. Many of the top pro's like Ronnie Coleman and Arnold, have spoken about how they visualize themselves doing various things regarding bodybuilding. From executing a rear lat spread, to what their going to eat for dinner. By visualing you are in a sense preparing yourself for whats to come. See yourself successfully doing anything helps in the long run.

Unlike other sports, in bodybuilding its really just you doing what you need to do. Because you are "building" your body, or to use a better word sculpting your body, no one else is really responsible for if you succeed or fail but you. Yeah you can have trainers, and somone guiding you nutritionaly, but ultimately you are responsible for the end result. If you put in the work, and stay diligent on your diet, then you will be successful. However if you stray in either catagory, your chances of success fall drastically.

Peace!
    Join "Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Bodybuilding" BULKING AND CUTTING PROGRAM CHALLENGE!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5T75Ci8Zw

"Whatever the mind can conceive, can always be achieved!"

"Visualization is the seed, that sprouts success"

http://www.********.com/Tucks71?ref=tn_tnmn#!/Tucks71

http://twitter.com/#!/Lex29us

player710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on
    this topic. If possible, as you gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with extra
    information? It is extremely useful for me.

Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vegvisir will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's simple really.

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"
    -Ronnie Coleman

Unless you're making a maximum effort to increase your training weights every week, you may as well give up trying to be a bodybuilder and be content as a fitness enthusiast.

killaman303 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

U the ripper

at least ur honest man. the thing is alot of people see you and think ur on the couch taking some magical serum screw roids if you dont eat sleep and sh!t and lift like a beast you gonna stay average, and me personally am not content with that. If you can't take the pain and agony just don't bother and stop trying to give advice on how to grow all you little weenies in not naming names you fools know who you are.
    THE BEAST

juli888 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It is not obligatory to you to swallow of tablets or is any nonsense, a protein and fibers. Simply assiduously to swing muscles.

strongminder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good thread, learning...

MusclePhoto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Prioritize?

The post above are awesome! Very insightful and loaded with experiences. I believe that there is one more thing that could be added. My GF is a figure competitor (I am only the photographer and life partner) and we often talk about this exact subject. I would like to know how you prioritize these recommendations? With the very little time we all have on our hands, what is the most important underlying activity that will make you a successful bodybuilder?

Clearly most of you who have made it to the top of the competition brackets, so you must have a great diet, training, dedications, mental preparation, ... So what is your secret?

Not to let you in limbo her secret is her strength of mind. A constant positive attitude throughout every little bit of activity from squats to going grocery shopping; she always focus on the fun factor. Trying to keep that positive attitude is what we think is the secret.

Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Julius7236 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Blow the head judge

Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Killabee1818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just my opinion

*This is a question where the person must sit down and decide for themselves if bodybuilding or any other journey is worth the effort. They must take into account that at times they must be the weird person who has their meals prepacked, must skip going out on a Friday night, and if they are truly willing to put their heart and soul into the being successful.

*Many of the people above have really hit the nail on the head. One characteristic that seems to be something I have observed is a self motivation. I have heard coaches say it and it has been used in a number of different areas of life. It is that 1% of people who have the deire to be the best. It is something special that psuhes them just a little bit further. Some people say they have a screw loose in their head but its that fine line between ordinary and extraordinary---yes a bit cheesey.

*I think that bodybuilding doesnt have the instant glorification like other sports. Some people just have a natural ability to be able to throw a baseball 90mph and others can run a 40 yr dash in a 4.3. However, bodybuilding takes every aspect of your life coming together for the results to really show.
    Straight Beast Mode!

Location: Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee_stk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some great information and posts in here guys! Thanks!

TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"
    -Ronnie Coleman
    Enough said.

terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nice tip on visualization, a limited discussion topic but very important.

Originally Posted by Lex29us View Post
    I believe that if one is in search of Bodybuilding success one needs to be extremely persistant. Bodybuilding is not a sport that necessarily goes off talent. It takes an extremely focused individual to be willing to go through the rigors of what is really involved in bodybuilding. You have to be diligent in your training, supplementation and most importantly your nutrition. Most people can bag the frist 2, but that third one can really throw some for a loop. Theres also a mental toughness thats involved that doesn't always come up in conversation. The days that you are supposed to be in the gym, but you really dont feel like going, those are the times you have to mentally suck it up and drag your ass down to the facitliy. So if one is to be trully successful in bodybuilding that person must own all these factors in order to cement their name in the books.

Determination is a big key. In this sport you have to be determined to achieve success. There can be no room for doubt, because doubt can run through you like cancer. Once that "uncertainty" feeling creeps in, if its not discarded immediately its going to cause a host of problems down the road.

Desire is another important aspect. You have to want it. Bodybuilding for many is not a lucrative sport. There are many pro's that work 2nd or 3rd jobs just to support their lifestyle. If you dont have a sponsor or contract with a some company then all contest fees, supplements, etc are all coming out of your own pocket. So there are no garuntess with bodybuidling. However people still do it and more are getting into it because of their desire to be the best, or to create the best person that then can create. Like myself many have gotten into it because of a pre-existing health issue. Others simply a lifestyle change. Whatever the reason the desire becomes infectous, and it takes over. That Desire is what can make a person that might not feel like going to the gym, still get in the car and head down anyway. The desire to be the best, is a charachteristic that must be had.

Lastly visualization is key. You have to visualize everything. From seeing you meals in your head the next day, to increasing your weight successfully on a bench press. visualiztion is a very important tool needed in bodybuilding. Many of the top pro's like Ronnie Coleman and Arnold, have spoken about how they visualize themselves doing various things regarding bodybuilding. From executing a rear lat spread, to what their going to eat for dinner. By visualing you are in a sense preparing yourself for whats to come. See yourself successfully doing anything helps in the long run.

Unlike other sports, in bodybuilding its really just you doing what you need to do. Because you are "building" your body, or to use a better word sculpting your body, no one else is really responsible for if you succeed or fail but you. Yeah you can have trainers, and somone guiding you nutritionaly, but ultimately you are responsible for the end result. If you put in the work, and stay diligent on your diet, then you will be successful. However if you stray in either catagory, your chances of success fall drastically.

Peace!
    Terry Hill MSE Physiology/CPT/Sport Nutrionist-AFPA

"Quality of life depends on the amount of willingness in the effort!"

nipuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good Theard

Theopneustos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Geez

Wow my eyes have been opened. Awesome thread! Thanks so much!

bubblyzu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

www.pczz.wordpress.com

vote for b builder

www.pczz.wordpress.com

vote b builders

www.pczz.wordpress.com

vote

hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrtbrk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    great read!

cortijoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cortijoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Missed Aspect

Maybe I missed on some reading. Why hasn't anybody mentioned steroids? I'm not trying to be negative or derogatory. I'm not opposed to steroid use. However, in today's bodybuilding, steroids are an integral part of the sport (if we are speaking o being a champion and measure success by paychecks and placings). I mean, cmon, when was the last time you saw a "natural" bodybuilder graze the cover of a muscle magazine (not fitness mag) or the Olympia or Any other pro stage for that matter. I think we are leaving out a big piece of the puzzle. I know steroids are not everythin, by a damn sight. However, we all know that in this sport (and many others, haha) it makes the difference between the good athletes and the champions that become household names and, eventually, icons in the annals of our sport's history.

Super Saiyan Genetics genetics 83's Avatar
    genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by UCIMTHEROCK View Post
    Here the real deal. I'm not going to blow a bunch of smoke and tell you that anyone can be a champion bodybuilder. sorry to burst your bubble but I have trained many people and everyone does not respond the same to training, also not everyone can get their bodyfat down to the ridiculous levels I have to actually win a show.
    If you do have the genetics to win a show thats not enough anymore, you have to train your ass off, eat massive amounts of clean food, cook everything yourself and put bodybuilding first in your life for a few months. if you have a wife kids and job like me it means massive planning in the months leading up to my 12 weeks of preparation and shrink wrapping my skin to my muscles for that one day. and its that one day is all that matters not Friday or Sunday. it the Saturday Morning prejudging that matters period!
    That also means never missing a workout and learning what it takes to "present" your body onstage in your underwear sometimes in front of hundreds of people with this nasty tar all over your body to make you look darker under the bright lights. and hope that the judges like the package you are presenting to them.
    Then once you truly practice your posing every day and put together a posing routine that makes the crowd stand in awe and give you a standing O when you are done. you can sit back with your trophy (or thirty in my case) or if you were really the **** your overall trophy from winning the whole damn show (5 times for me)
    you will realize that training at the gym and posing in front of a mirror with your buddys is a far cry from being a champion bodybuilder.
    if your success means just placing in a show that can be done much easier by picking the right show and making sure you take it seriously and prepare right.
    Ask someone whos done it to help you. you can learn from their experience and not make too many rookie mistakes
    well put man, i agree.
    ██ █ ★ █ ██ CVC ██ █ ★ █ ██
    US Army '04-07 OIF III
    Saiyan Crew
    F-Body Crew
    Texas Crew
    Over 30 crew

radislav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

For me it always was consistency and never look back.
    Many years ago I only dreamed about staying on stage and see people who applause me and I did it in 2009 and 2010. It was great!
    So regarding achieving success, I think you must do these steps:
    1. Put your goal on the paper and have it in your room or office to see it daily (believe me in this is very very important)
    2. Plan the way you will achieve this
    3. Start moving there and NEVER STOP and NEVER LOOK BACK.

It worked great for me and so must work for you.

darryngt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheBodyGenie View Post
    In my own opinion, I have three ways if you are willing to achieve your shape.

* Proper Diet
    * Enough rest
    * Right exercise

Good luck!
    any tips on maintaining a good diet ?

shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500) shockandFbbcom is not very helpful. (-500)
    nooooooooooo

hotdog12345 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

to achieve bosybuilding success

First when you train you train as if someone is working harder than you. You go with the mental attitude that one more rep or set is getting you closer to your goal. There is no shortcut lay off the testostrine boosts or drug performance. Just take l glutamine bccas and good pre workout along with proper nutrition. First when you go on that stage you don't compete against other people but yourself. Don't worry about placement but to give your best all your training and posing leads it down to the stage. You are against yourself that is all. Remember you are building muscle not going through reps or motions but to feel the rep and squeeze the muscle at contraction. You are building muscle ensuring every fiber is working to the fullest. Who cares if johnny next to you presses 500 pounds. You are not there to show off so throw the ego out the door. This is bodybuilding. It is a process of building and sculpting every muscle so every muscle is hit at every angle. You don't care about the weight or how much you press but you want to ensure you are maximizing every fiber in your rep. Proper nutrition is vital to success and sleep essential are amino acids and bcca. Take the ego and leave it at the door you are a bodybuilder not a weight lifter there is a difference

robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robertover50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you want to be a pro bodybuilder or just build a body you can be proud of? Either way, it all starts in your head!