UnknownWarrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 Months of Working out: Essential to take a break?

Well ive been working out for 3 months with the current workout plan i have right now...ive been using the 5x5 plan...ive seen great gains in terms of strength n some mass...i just lacked on eating...but still made gains...

now im wondering after 3 months of working out is it time to take a week break off or two? or can i still continue to workout, but with the same workout plan with new exercises?

is there any other type of workout plan that is similar to the 5x5 im using right now that will help me in terms of strength and mass?

thanks

Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
    Well ive been working out for 3 months with the current workout plan i have right now...ive been using the 5x5 plan...ive seen great gains in terms of strength n some mass...i just lacked on eating...but still made gains...

now im wondering after 3 months of working out is it time to take a week break off or two? or can i still continue to workout, but with the same workout plan with new exercises?

is there any other type of workout plan that is similar to the 5x5 im using right now that will help me in terms of strength and mass?

thanks
    I think you answered your own question when ya said your making great gains...I would not take a week off until I do not see gains or feel sluggish in the gym for more than one or two lifting sessions.

naww cuz i hear that after workin out for a long time u have to take a break to rest your body..n i was wondering if it was necessary to really take a break...cuz of 3 months of workin out...

LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100) LordHalbert is not very well liked. (-100)
    I never take a break.

Some recommend taking a week off every 3 months but I simply can't seem to do it.

After 2 days of non activity, I get this strange sensation that my muscles are wasting away and fat is accumulating.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    naww cuz i hear that after workin out for a long time u have to take a break to rest your body..n i was wondering if it was necessary to really take a break...cuz of 3 months of workin out...
    After 8-12 weeks of intense training, a week off can be taken. You may come back a little weaker but in the long-term it will help you strength gains.

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    After 8-12 weeks of intense training, a week off can be taken. You may come back a little weaker but in the long-term it will help you strength gains.
    I start seeing gains a week after a week off
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup View Post
    I start seeing gains a week after a week off
    For most people, the initial strength loss is psychological. They are addicted to training and think that they will lose everything after some time off. They live to train, not train for results.

Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes I know, but think what your saying. To me you take a week off cause your dragging, life gets in the way, or your not making good gains.

Registered User dieeiervonsatan's Avatar
    dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dieeiervonsatan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    what is your body telling you?

does it feel like it takes a couple of hours to get up in the morning till your fully awake? Are you slowly getting through you workouts? Are your lifts starting to stall?

if not you can keep going, there is no general rule when you should take a break. Your body will let you know when its time.

Originally Posted by dieeiervonsatan View Post
    what is your body telling you?

does it feel like it takes a couple of hours to get up in the morning till your fully awake? Are you slowly getting through you workouts? Are your lifts starting to stall?

if not you can keep going, there is no general rule when you should take a break. Your body will let you know when its time.
    exactly

well most of all my lifts are still increasing such as deadlifts, t-bar rows, squats, front squats, skullcrushers etc...

but i also noticed that i cannot increase anymore on military press[i get stuck at 115lbs], and incline bench press....

^^ only two of the exercises i cannot increase in weight anymore...does that mean i plateau? meaning i need to take a break? or just swtich up the exercises for variation?

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LordHalbert View Post
    I never take a break.

Some recommend taking a week off every 3 months but I simply can't seem to do it.

After 2 days of non activity, I get this strange sensation that my muscles are wasting away and fat is accumulating.

You have a couple weeks before your muscles will start to atrophy, any size loss is just a little "water weight" loss.

To the OP, it's time to take a break when your big lifts start to platue or you just feel tired and sore all the time.

Originally Posted by Carmen0857 View Post
    You have a couple weeks before your muscles will start to atrophy, any size loss is just a little "water weight" loss.

To the OP, it's time to take a break when your big lifts start to platue or you just feel tired and sore all the time.

im always sore after every workout...so does that mean i have to take a break?

porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    3 months is nothing. Maybe when you are 17, it seems like a lot.
    Everyone is different, so nobody here can really tell you if you should take a break.
    I don't take breaks. I don't need to and I don't want to.

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im always sore after every workout...so does that mean i have to take a break?
    I mean like sore all the time, not good sore, bad sore, like joint pains and such.

Registered User Definitelynotme's Avatar
    Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    taking breaks every few months is a great idea. i personally HATE taking breaks, but i take one week off every 4-5 months. During this time i eat a whole lot of food, and rest up. when i return to the gym, for the first week i feel a loss of strength. and then the second week back in the gym, the gains skyrocket!!!

the hardest part of it all is actually forcing yourself to take a break!

lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50) lachy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    please take a one week break, i worked out for 4 months and beat my bodies immune system to ****, i ended up spending a week in hospital and I had to take a month of the gym, because my immune system had gone down i caught rhimatic fever and it spread to my heart.

serious stuff, take a break
    ░█▓▒░█▓▒░█▓▒░█▓▒
    █▓▒░ Aussie Crew░▒█
    ▒▓█▒▓█▒▓█▒▓█▒▓█▒█

GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoOrange is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Most people will benefit from taking a week off every 6-12 weeks. It will give your body a chance to heal and recover from all the punishment you've been dishing out.

Also, at that time, you should change up your routine. Do different exercises, use different grips, change the order around, use different set and rep ranges.

If you've stopped gaining in some lifts, it's time to change things up.

krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazybartender is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well most of all my lifts are still increasing such as deadlifts, t-bar rows, squats, front squats, skullcrushers etc...

but i also noticed that i cannot increase anymore on military press[i get stuck at 115lbs], and incline bench press....

^^ only two of the exercises i cannot increase in weight anymore...does that mean i plateau? meaning i need to take a break? or just swtich up the exercises for variation?

I'm in the same boat as you man. I'm making gains in every single lift except military press. I'm also stuck at the 115lb mark. I'm switching to Arnold presses and seated db presses. Hopefully in a month or so I can go back to the military press and increase my gains. My best advice is to try a different shoulder exercise.
    My Diesel Test/V2 Inferno log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=766343

My SizeOn/SP250/E-Bol log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1250381

My detailed "cutting" log: http://www.realsolutionsmag.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=3914

My first ever transformation as featured on sixpacknow.com: http://www.sixpacknow.com/preview9.html

Creampie Connoisseur basshead444's Avatar
    basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by krazybartender View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you man. I'm making gains in every single lift except military press. I'm also stuck at the 115lb mark. I'm switching to Arnold presses and seated db presses. Hopefully in a month or so I can go back to the military press and increase my gains. My best advice is to try a different shoulder exercise.
    What rep range are you guys working with? what worked for me is doing sets of 5, maybe 10lbs under my 5 rep max, and keep going up 5 lbs from there, and keep going up until you start doing triples and singles eventually, I got mine from 120 to 140 then stalled doing that, then I started doing push presses cause I didnt feel like going down in weight lol, yesterday i did 155 twice =D

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GoOrange View Post
    Most people will benefit from taking a week off every 6-12 weeks. It will give your body a chance to heal and recover from all the punishment you've been dishing out.

"Also, at that time, you should change up your routine. Do different exercises, use different grips, change the order around, use different set and rep ranges.

If you've stopped gaining in some lifts, it's time to change things up."

I would have to disagree with that in a big way, "this part anyway". I think that would just confuse everyone training for a specific goal, which should be everyone.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Take a week off
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go by instict. This is called "instictive training".
    COMBERDS

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LordHalbert View Post
    I never take a break.

This is a terrible attitude. Like a guy said earlier, live for results, not the addiction to training. That strange sensation should be ignored.

Are you willing to compromise your results so you can work out more often, or would you rather compromise how often to want to work out for better results?
    Last edited by Duckenheimer; 07-01-2007 at 07:17 PM.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details