Thread: Boxing

squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Boxing

ok i know this has little to do with bb, but i dont know were else to find out at other than here. i wanted to learn how to box or strengthen my punch basically for self defense. im not doing this to be able to kick the **** out of ppl for no reason. the only problem i have is i have very little money so i cant buy equiptment such as speed bags or regular bags, and i have a job not to mention bb so i dont have time to go to the gym, (nearest gym with boxing equiptment or even martial art dojos are 30 mins to an hour away) so my question is, does anyone have any ways or things i can do to work on boxing skills while at home??? I was just wondering if anyone had any good things i could do or any links to pages that could help me to improve accuarcy, quickness and power, thanx

makaveli83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To improve youre skills:

Go to a room with a mirror
    take youre position
    And just hit a couple of times then you see where youre weak spots are. Punch fast and try not to make an opening on youre face. Because this are spots where youre enemy will hit you.

But personely I prefer the boxing school

Good Luck
    Rage is good Concentration is good But a combination is even better!

Life aint hard u get what the f*ck u put in.

Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you want to strengthen your punch- practice, preferably against something more solid than the air. Also do plyometrics for your upper body.
    The will to survive is stronger than anything else.

Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles
    Well what about running? this is being asked to everyone. Is it 5 miles or more. If neither then what do it by a certain amount of time and build it up each week?
    Muscles

sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000)
    Running long distances is not as conducive to combat sports as you might think. Boxers, martial artists and other combat stylists are proud of the long training hours they have invested and rightly so! However, because of this, the issue of quality is often shadowed by quantity.

A boxing round does not last as long as the time it would take to run 5 miles. Just because you can run far does not mean you won't get winded in the ring. Boxing is more anaerobic during a round in action than aerobic. A good place to start would be doing high intensity running for about the same time as a round would be followed by jogging about as long as your in-between round time would be. Basically, interval training.

Repeated long distance running will make you slower since you are working type I fibers, which are slow twitch. This translates to slower footwork. (Incorporating a long dist. run every now and then is beneficial. I'd say every 3-4 days.)

Basically, i would recommend interval style running with an occasional long distance run.

Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles
    I kind of follow you but could you be a little more specific like show me what you would do for this in one whole week starting from day 1 - 7 including rest days and exactly how many mins or distance and inc% there is thatll make it easier for me to understand.
    Last edited by Muscles; 05-28-2002 at 08:54 PM.
    Muscles

sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000)
    focusing on the running aspect of training only:
    (lets say we have 120sec rounds followed by 30 sec in-between round time)

Day 1: Run long distance. 60-75% max effort.

Day 2: Run 120sec. at 80-90% max effort, followed by 30 sec jogging at 50-60% max effort. Repeat 4-6 times.

Day 3: off

Day 4: Same as day 2

Day 5: Same as day 1

Day 6: off

Repeat cycle, but try to improve overall long distance time, and try to add an extra sprint&run cyle per week to your interval runs until they are at the max of your boxing rounds. 12 rounds = 12 interval cycles. You need to sprint a few times and gauge your max effort for the distance you will run. If your round is 2 min long, then you need to keep a high effort relative to a 2 min sprint.
    This is a good, basic start but like any training, you will adapt eventually and will need to vary dist., time, and effort to keep variety alive.

K thanks thats a lot more understandable
    Muscles

i forgot to add week two. sorry (i'm going by 6 day weeks. i'm just crazy like that. have fun w/ the calander)

Day 1: Interval

Day 2: Long dist.

Day 3: off

Day 4: Long dist.

Day 5: Interval

Day 6 off.

Repeat this '2 week' scheme.

Glad it helped!

blazinear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    jump-rope, boxers do this all day
    "Good things come to those who weight"

MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To defend yourself better, you have to work on a few things:

Speed
    Technique and Power
    Skills - Stand-Up and Ground
    Awareness
    Timing
    Distance Judging
    Agility
    Flexibility
    Stamina

Run, jump rope, AND STRETCH. You should work up to the splits. Work on technique. As you know, most of the power from yoour punches and kicks come from your hip, not how strong you are, and the best thing without spending any money is to go to the library and borrow books about punching, martial arts/boxing style. It will never replace teaching, but it's a good start. Work on timing, distance judging, and do some agility exercises. One of the best things people do is shadow box. Anyone who trains in the martial arts, boxing, or wrestling shadow boxes.

Sounds good what else is there
    Muscles

Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    although posts like martialartist are good you will actually need some one to show u proper movments and proper training. So U should join a gym. Am sure there are martial arts and boxing gyms localy but not listed in address books etc. Go to your local china town for mafrtial arts or rough areas for good boxing clubs

bodybuilder15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All of this is very good information. When preparing for my
    golden gloves, I would run a mile or two (roundtrip),put the
    gloves on and work on footwork (dancing around the ring) for three rounds. Then run another mile or 2, put the gloves on, and
    shadow box for 4 rounds. Then run an other mile or 2, then put the gloves on, and foot work for 5 rounds, the run a mile or 2, and shadow box for 6 rounds (three minutes each). Then you're warmed up, and ready for the heavy bag. If you dont have a lot of money or space, i suggest the first thing you get is a heavy bag. I managed to cop mine from a boxing gym, they were thowing it out. If you cant get one, make one. I pucked sand tight in a large cotton bag, as long as you tape it, it'll last 2-6 weeks. Nothing wil build your punching power like a heavy bag. Lifting will add the muscle and strength, heavybag, will condition and help utilize it.

a 3-6mile + run and 15+ rounds of shadow boxing is not a warmup, that's a workout. Genrally, if you want to focus on strength & power concerning the heavy bag, a very light warmup and then heavy bag training would be more appropriate. If you save heavy bag training for last, you will be too pooped to use it effectively.

bodybuilder15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The point of such a long warmup and then use of the heavy
    bag is to build effective power when your energy level is low, as
    in the fourth or fifth round. True if you are only planning on
    trowing a few punches, and when longevity is less important,
    hitting the heavy bag first might be more time effective.

Punching bag before cardio: beneficial for strength and power improvement in punching.

Punching bag after cardio: beneficial for extending time of powerful and quality punching.

Registered User BodybuildingKid's Avatar
    BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    time, power, accuracy, speed, distance .... these are all attributes of motion science, i suggest you study it to get the most out of your boxing/martial arts etc

pz
    "Observe not that which is seen, but that which is not seen." -Dennis Nackord , Kenpo Karate System.

"No pain no ****in gain, GO PSYCHO U ****IN PUSSY, UP THAT ****IN WEIGHT, UP THEM REPS BITCH RAHH"

"I beleive that everything you do bad, comes back to you. So everything i do bad, im going to suffer for it.. But in my heart.. i beleive what i am doin is right.. So i feel like i am going to heaven" - Tupac Shakur June '96

WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I agree bbkid

Oh yeah, and Kenpo Rocks.

MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by Boxer
    although posts like martialartist are good you will actually need some one to show u proper movments and proper training. So U should join a gym. Am sure there are martial arts and boxing gyms localy but not listed in address books etc. Go to your local china town for mafrtial arts or rough areas for good boxing clubs
    I agree, like I said, books will never replace teaching... EVER! Books are okay if you already know how and just want to try to refine it with your own personal touch or just to get an idea. You can read all the books you want, but you have to learn how to apply them. Books can't do that, you must experience it.

Originally posted by MartialArtist

Books can't do that, you must experience it.
    Youre definitely right about that
    Muscles