Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pizzaeater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pizzaeater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

if not sore next day is workout still effective

When ever i have a chest day or leg day im always sore next day. but when ido shoulder tri and bi the next day im not sore at all. does THis mean the workout was ineffective? This is what the workout is tell me what u think
    5X military press
    5X reverse flys
    3x upight row
    3x skull crushers
    3x dips
    3x barbell curls
    Is it not good that im not sore

tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pizzaeater
    When ever i have a chest day or leg day im always sore next day. but when ido shoulder tri and bi the next day im not sore at all. does THis mean the workout was ineffective? This is what the workout is tell me what u think
    5X military press
    5X reverse flys
    3x upight row
    3x skull crushers
    3x dips
    3x barbell curls
    Whether you are sore or not is neither here nor there. Muscle soreness is not an indicator of progress or a lack thereof. Are you getting bigger? Are you getting stronger? If yes, don't worry about it.

brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tokar
    Whether you are sore or not is neither here nor there. Muscle soreness is not an indicator of progress or a lack thereof. Are you getting bigger? Are you getting stronger? If yes, don't worry about it.
    well put.

Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Exactly.

You could try changing your exercises, split, reps, etc or take a week off

You should do these things now and then anyway

Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000)
    Like tokar said, it doesn't matter if you are sore or not. What matters are the results and if you are progressing forward.
    If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got.

pizzaeater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pizzaeater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

THanx guys rep points for all

harder stronger faster losercore's Avatar
    losercore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i usually get sore after good workouts... but it's not for sure either way, you CAN get results from non-sore-produceing workouts, and you can be sore and not get results, but i think, by and large, soreness is associated with an effective workout...

but the other replys have a valid point, if you're getting results, does it matter if you're getting sore. so are you getting stronger? are your arms getting bigger? etc
    "No not at all, so that was what 250-260 grams protein, if you weigh 125 lbs its perfect, you want to move up in muscle mass, you need to increase it big time."
    - in-human

view my journal here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321498

Height : 5'10 1/2"

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by losercore
    i usually get sore after good workouts... but it's not for sure either way, you CAN get results from non-sore-produceing workouts, and you can be sore and not get results, but i think, by and large, soreness is associated with an effective workout...

but the other replys have a valid point, if you're getting results, does it matter if you're getting sore. so are you getting stronger? are your arms getting bigger? etc

I agree about soreness not being ABSOLUTELY necessary for gains, but if you are not getting sore, then it is difficult to judge WHAT is working, since "bigger and stronger" will not happen based on any individual workout.

Say you are doing a certain type of workout, you find at the end of the month you have gotten bigger and stronger. How do you know what variable or combination of variables caused your gains? Was it your bench press, your incline press, the combination, your diet, your rest, your split, your rest between sets? It becomes too difficult and haphazard to judge.

Feel, pump, and soreness ARE valuble to any serious trainer with any kind of self awareness.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    -sorness is not a sign of anything

-you've got A LOT of volume there

-no heavy close-grip pressing movements...meat for tri's

-you've also got some 'bad' lifts like upright rows (bad lifts in terms of injuries)
    <->

AntiZone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yep

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

-you've also got some 'bad' lifts like upright rows (bad lifts in terms of injuries)

LOL
    banned again!

Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000) Tete is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DanMc
    LOL
    banned again!
    OMG lol
    why did he get banned this time?

reduce your volume a bit
    "I want...I can...I will" - toe-pickin' guitar player Tony Melendez

*Misc Entrepreneur Crew* http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=160254601

LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Tete
    OMG lol
    why did he get banned this time?

reduce your volume a bit

10 day temporary ban for childish behaviour........see the exercise section.
    WOW, STRONG TEA - MY BRUV FITNESSMAN

One of the most educational threads thats ever been posted. Thankyou DF1, madcow, Dom etc for increasing my knowledge on training tenfold. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=591896

IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol @ banned

JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JnJ23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

^^
    Train
    Eat
    Sleep

DC style

"If you always do what you always done, you will always get what you always got".

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

Nope.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
    I agree about soreness not being ABSOLUTELY necessary for gains, but if you are not getting sore, then it is difficult to judge WHAT is working, since "bigger and stronger" will not happen based on any individual workout.

Say you are doing a certain type of workout, you find at the end of the month you have gotten bigger and stronger. How do you know what variable or combination of variables caused your gains? Was it your bench press, your incline press, the combination, your diet, your rest, your split, your rest between sets? It becomes too difficult and haphazard to judge.

Feel, pump, and soreness ARE valuble to any serious trainer with any kind of self awareness.
    I am quoting myself. Please someone explain how you judge the individual variables in your workout if "size and strength" gains are the only way you judge your workouts.

LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am quoting myself. Please someone explain how you judge the individual variables in your workout if "size and strength" gains are the only way you judge your workouts.

I'm not sure what you are getting at to be honest mate.

End of the day soreness should not be one of the goals you strive to achieve.

Dante sums things up nicely in this post.

I suggest this khan---for the whole next year on leg day go into the gym and do 20 sets of 100 reps on leg extensions, holding the contracted position for 15 seconds each time and then lowering it slow--20 sets

for the year after that bomb away and exactly double your squat weights you are currently doing for 4-10 reps and 20 reps (example start of year 250x7 and 200x20 and then end of year 500x7 and 400x20)

Heres some questions I want to ask

1) which one made you more sore (if you could walk the next day after the leg extensions I would be very very surprised)
    2)which one made your legs so much bigger its ridiculous?

theres your answer
    - DANTE

One of the most educational threads thats ever been posted. Thankyou DF1, madcow, Dom etc for increasing my knowledge on training tenfold. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=591896

Originally Posted by LostProphet
    I'm not sure what you are getting at to be honest mate.

End of the day soreness should not be one of the goals you strive to achieve.

Dante sums things up nicely in this post.

I suggest this khan---for the whole next year on leg day go into the gym and do 20 sets of 100 reps on leg extensions, holding the contracted position for 15 seconds each time and then lowering it slow--20 sets

for the year after that bomb away and exactly double your squat weights you are currently doing for 4-10 reps and 20 reps (example start of year 250x7 and 200x20 and then end of year 500x7 and 400x20)

Heres some questions I want to ask

1) which one made you more sore (if you could walk the next day after the leg extensions I would be very very surprised)
    2)which one made your legs so much bigger its ridiculous?

theres your answer
    - DANTE
    The problem is with your specific example, you are avoiding my point. You are manipulating a single variable, but no one is going to do that "for a year". Most workouts have more than 1 exercise per bp, and varying reps from week to week, with variable rest, diet, etc.

You have an event (your workout) and a result (size and strength)-but since you don't get "size and strength" from that workout, how do you judge what caused your gains? There is too much of a lag time from action to result. Was it the squats, the extensions, the reps, your diet, your rest, your frequency etc etc. If ANY variables have changed since you last gained "size and strength", then you can't judge accurately what is causing your progression.

Arthur Jones of Nautilus used to say he could put 1/2 inch on any bodybuilders arms IN ONE WEEK if they came to Deland, FL to train with him. Do you know what he had them do? Nothing. No training. Complete rest. Most WOULD put 1/2 inch on their arms. Now, by your logic, no training is the best training, since they gained "size" and probably strength. But we both know that what caused their gains was their PREVIOUS WORKOUTS COMBINED with the rest. Not the rest itself. Point: Delayed results with multiple variable causes are IMPOSSIBLE, not hard, but IMPOSSIBLE to evaluate in a proper manner.

And using your example: 1. you can't have 1 rep scheme for the extensions and a separate one for the squats, because again, you can't judge which variable caused the difference, but, 2. for the sake of argument, lets assume you DID do 20 sets of 20 reps on squats vs. 20 reps on 20 sets of leg extensions? You would DEFINATELY be more sore doing the squats than the extensions. 20 rep squats are BRUTAL.

And I AM sore after every workout.

Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i get sore from one exercize per body part lifting as hard as i can

i can tell you that to the best of my knowledge i dont really see gains of any kind unless i do get sore, but this is just me i guess

a lot of experienced bodybuilders have said they take soreness as a sign theyve trained hard enough; and they obviously dont do 100 rep workouts. using those kind of examples are just pointless

You have an event (your workout) and a result (size and strength)-but since you don't get "size and strength" from that workout, how do you judge what caused your gains? There is too much of a lag time from action to result. Was it the squats, the extensions, the reps, your diet, your rest, your frequency etc etc. If ANY variables have changed since you last gained "size and strength", then you can't judge accurately what is causing your progression.
    So how would striving for DOMS alter this ??

Originally Posted by Chris999
    using those kind of examples are just pointless
    It illustrates a point.........

Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It illustrates a point.........
    no it doesnt; its completely irrelevant if the question was meant to be realistic

no it doesnt; its completely irrelevant if the question was meant to be realistic

No it does.....it illustrates that striving to achieve maximal DOMS is not the best way to train.

If you think otherwise.......I'll let you get back to your 200 rep pink dumbell tricep kickbacks.

No it does.....it illustrates that striving to achieve maximal DOMS is not the best way to train.

If you think otherwise.......I'll let you get back to your 200 rep pink dumbell tricep kickbacks.

the thread starter wasnt asking if achieving maximal DOMS was the best way to train.

and that 200 rep remark is hilarious, do you write your own material?

the thread starter wasnt asking if achieving maximal DOMS was the best way to train.?
    Yes I know, the example I quoted was merely trying to present that striving for maximal soreness is not the best way to train. Don't like something thats posted ?......don't ****ing read it.......I for one couldn't give a toss whether you think its relevant or not.

and that 200 rep remark is hilarious, do you write your own material?
    Is this your first attempt at sarcasm ? you look to be getting the hang of it, keep up the practice.

Death Knight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pizzaeater
    5X military press
    5X reverse flys
    3x upight row
    3x skull crushers
    3x dips
    3x barbell curls
    Well, I also have this problem with shoulders and bis. I got results by using a slower tempo while lowering and adding close grip chins(bis). Shoulders? I started doing handstand pushups (against a wall). After the first 20 reps (some 6 sets scattered throughout the day) my shoulders got some soreness.

So how would striving for DOMS alter this ??
    DOMS is not the ONLY way to judge a workout, but it is a tool. If you have some bodyparts that are consistantly sore, and some that aren't, you need to self analyze to see if you are "hitting" the muscles the way you should be. DOMS is a valuble tool for this.

DOMS is not the ONLY way to judge a workout, but it is a tool. If you have some bodyparts that are consistantly sore, and some that aren't, you need to self analyze to see if you are "hitting" the muscles the way you should be. DOMS is a valuble tool for this.

My biceps and delts never get sore........they're my best bodyparts.

My biceps and delts never get sore........they're my best bodyparts.
    Best bodyparts are NEVER a good example to use. How do you improve your worst bodyparts? Just "hammer away" with "compounds" and hope they'll catch up?

My triceps get pumped from SQUATS, but I don't use squats to build my tri's, nor do I advocate others use them for tri's.