Cutting to 8-10% body fat GregElder's Avatar
    GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50)

HEAVY Squats and Deadlifts in the same week?

Ok, I've recently gotten my Deadlifts up to a very heavy weight for me, and it's making my back sore. I'm doing 405 for 4-6 reps after warming up with 135, 225, and doing a working set with 315. I also do some more sets with 315 and 225 before finishing this exercise. I did this on Saturday which is Back Day.

Now, I'm also Squating Heavy weight (405+) on Leg day, which is usually Tuesday.(3 days later)

So, my question is, if my lower back is still sore from Back Day, is it ok to do heavy Squats?

I don't want to push myself too far and get an injury. At the same time, I want maximum development (imagine that!). My Squat form is very good---I keep my Torso upright as much as possible and I thoroughly warm up and stretch before, during and after the work out.

I feel like the Deads are giving me great lower/middle back development and the Squats are helping my legs a lot, so I don't want ot give either of them up. What do you guys do??

Thanks for any informative input. I am due to my Squats in 6 hours, LOL.
    Visit my 2005 Cutting thread, I'm going for 8-10% body fat! :

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=414595

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if your'e able to do it with good form, i don't see why not.

me - i used to keep deadlifting and squatting on the same day, fun
    <->

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    >>Now, I'm also Squating Heavy weight (405+) on Leg day, which is usually Tuesday.(3 days later)<<

IMO, I would say to spread it out some. Try four days in between and see if some of that soreness doesn't go away. Or five even.

If you are working legs with sore muscles in your back then it could possibly hinder your gains. Look at it the other way.. Would you deadlift if your legs were sore from squats?

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

I still do keep them on the same day.

GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE=Bushmaster
    If you are working legs with sore muscles in your back then it could possibly hinder your gains. Look at it the other way.. Would you deadlift if your legs were sore from squats?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I still do Deadlifts even though my Legs are sore on Sat. from my Tues. Leg workout. I figure I'm trying to hit back with Deadlifts anyway and I'm not as worried about my Legs being sore---I'm careful to stretch.

TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED----Thanks for your input, Greg

LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Same day for me....rock on!
    In 1945, Adolf Hilter died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied, "I am responsible for the massacre of millions" Satan said, "well done, sit to the right of my throne." In 1953, Joseph Stalin died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied "I killed millions to stay in power" Satan said "good, sit to my left" 2010, Ronnie James Dio died and went to Hell, Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" Dio replied, "Bitch, get the fuk off my throne!"

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LatsMakeTheMan
    Same day for me....rock on!
    yea baby yea
    <->

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

i agree

but i don't do them on the same day

robd8870 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Yeah I do atg squats, box squats, cleans, sldl, on tuesday and thursday I do deads(back and bi day) Then Fri. doing shoulders, traps. I am thinking of swithcing back and bi with shoulders to give another day of recooperation.

That's how I roll AlxandrTheGreat's Avatar
    AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do squats and deads on the same day, twice a week! It's weird cause I don't get as sore anymore now that I work everything twice a week, and I am hitting everything just as hard if not harder than before!
    Some times you gotta add that poundage, and beat that muscle up!

- Kevin Levrone

Blood&Iron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blood&Iron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blood&Iron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How do you guys manage to do squats and deadlifts on the same day?

I've wanted to do that, so I could get in a lot more of both, but I've heard from many people that it's just too hard on the legs and taxes the CNS too much.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 09-28-2004 at 01:22 PM.

AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well personally I do deads at the beginning of my back workout, for 4 working sets at the most, then I do 4 sets of pullups, two exercises for 3 sets each on biceps, next I hit squats for 4 sets then I do 4 sets of calf raises on the smith machine. I consider deads to be a back and hamstring exercise, and squats mostly for quads.

If you do squats and deads on the same day you are actually giving you CNS more of a break than if you did them on seperate days. Though this doesn't really apply to me seeing that I do this twice a week anyway..

- Kevin Levrone

Blood&Iron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blood&Iron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blood&Iron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use an upper/lower split, though.

Do you think I could get away with using deadlifts on both upper and lower days?

Originally Posted by Blood&Iron

I've wanted to do that, so I could get in a lot more of both, but I've heard from many people that it's just too hard on the legs and taxes the CNS too much.
    low volume. (set/rep wise)
    <->

So you want to do deads twice a week, but everything else once a week? I don't understand this logic other than wanting to excel on deadlifts... So if you think your body can handle twice a week deadlifts, by all means go for it. Works for me!

- Kevin Levrone

Originally Posted by $AJ
    low volume. (set/rep wise)

4 heavy sets 5-10 reps of deads is about all I could handle with or without doing them with squats, once of twice a week.

- Kevin Levrone

I forgot to mention that I'm also using a conjugate periodization program on top of the upper/lower program.

Upper and lower each twice a week, one for size and the other for strength.

I would be using squats and deadlifts for both lower body workouts, but I would also be using deadlifts as a back exercise for both upper body workouts.

So actually I would be deadlifting four times a week (two high rep/low set size workouts and two low rep/high set strength workouts) and doing everything else twice a week.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 09-28-2004 at 01:55 PM.

I forgot to mention that I'm also using a conjugate periodization program on top of the upper/lower program.

Upper and lower each twice a week, one for size and the other for strength.

Based on what I've read here, I would be using squats and deadlifts for both lower body workouts, but I would also be using deadlifts as a back exercise for both upper body workouts.
    You shouldn't do deads on back day, AND leg day. Pick one or the other. To simplify this I do Back and legs on the same day. From what you wrote I would suggest doing deads for lower body workouts, but NOT for back workouts unless they are on the same day.

- Kevin Levrone

If I do regular deadlifts on lower body days, then would stiff-legged deadlifts be appropriate for upper body days?

daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If I do regular deadlifts on lower body days, then would stiff-legged deadlifts be appropriate for upper body days?
    I don't think you need both TBH. Anyho, it's good practice to leave two days between back/leg workouts. Do deads on back day unless you're some sort of masochist who can do both on the one day
    "We know Burns has the trillion dollar bill somewhere in his house, but all we've been able to ascertain from satellite photos is that it's not on the roof".

www.daninthemix.com

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love doing both in the same day , using a bunch of variatons ; Below paralel squat , box squat , chain squat , rack deads and deads from the floor
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Originally Posted by A-rod
    I love doing both in the same day , using a bunch of variatons ; Below paralel squat , box squat , chain squat , rack deads and deads from the floor
    chain squat......mmmmmm.....those bring back good memories
    <->

Alright, it turned out good---had a great Leg Workout! I did working sets with 405 X 10, 425 X 8 and 465 X 5! This was my best in a long time and I'm wiped out.

I was also able to do Stiff Legged Dead Lifts after Squats. I just made sure to stretch before and during my work out.

I don't see how you guys do Dead Lifts (Regular) the same day as Squats. After Squats, I feel like I'm going to puke, or at least, I feel wiped out. Dead Lifts are just as hard, if not harder than Squats, so I'm going to keep them on Back Day.

Thanks for the input!

LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000)

I really don't feel deads in the legs much at all. Maybe in the hams, but barely anything in the quads.
    In 1945, Adolf Hilter died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied, "I am responsible for the massacre of millions" Satan said, "well done, sit to the right of my throne." In 1953, Joseph Stalin died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied "I killed millions to stay in power" Satan said "good, sit to my left" 2010, Ronnie James Dio died and went to Hell, Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" Dio replied, "Bitch, get the fuk off my throne!"

ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Same week is fine...just spread them out as far as you can.