Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    UnknownWarrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlifting: Knees Bruise

Well im not sure but everytime i deadlift my left knee always gets bruised...is the bar suppose to slide down your thighs and shins? cuz when i deadlift and when i go down it hits my knees first then my shins...

am i doing it incorrectly?

Atlas stones on a hill :) narcolepticpug's Avatar
    narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i get scraches on the bottom of my kneecaps from deads

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're supposed to keep the bar close to your legs as you deadlift, so it's inevitable that your knees will occasionally take a knock or two and bruise.

So long as your not trying to rest the weight and cheat the weight up on your thighs as it gets tough then you're all good.

CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i stopped doing deadlifts because i was sick of taking the skin off my knees and shins. you can adjust your form slightly to minimise the bar/leg contact if you're carefull

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CLK-GTR View Post
    i stopped doing deadlifts because i was sick of taking the skin off my knees and shins. you can adjust your form slightly to minimise the bar/leg contact if you're carefull
    You can tell this guy cant take anything bodybuilding has to offer ^
    Dont adjust any form because if thats happening you are having good form in some way from the bruising lol. Cause it happens to everyone who does it correctly.

But yes, wear some knee high socks or BABY POWDER, poor some al lthe way down the front of ya leg then use the bottom of the bottle to rub it in, and it will make your legs very smooth (which is what baby powder is for) thus helping the bar smoothly run up ya leg and it helps A LOT with bruising and skin tearing, but usually it will always bruise. Hard getting around it man.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
    Well im not sure but everytime i deadlift my left knee always gets bruised...is the bar suppose to slide down your thighs and shins? cuz when i deadlift and when i go down it hits my knees first then my shins...

You may be keeping your trunk too upright. The deadlift uses a lower torso angle than sumo deads or trap bar deads. What is your angle at?

gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post

The bar is supposed to be very close to the body, dont worry, its going to happen, like stated use baby powder, or were very long socks if it bothers you that much, but remember, those cuts and scars are battle wounds of pride, and hard work.

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs down

i stopped doing deadlifts because i was sick of taking the skin off my knees and shins.
    ^^ Stupid reason to stop doing a great exercise.

Ever heard of tube socks?
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    aperently he hasnt seen my "deadlifts are god" thread.... what a fool

CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000) CLK-GTR is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mightymouse37 View Post
    ^^ Stupid reason to stop doing a great exercise.

Ever heard of tube socks?
    ever heard of rack pulls? hits the main muscles exactly the same but doesnt rip your shins apart

i dont mind abit of pain but when you've got compounded bruising and swelling all over your knees you know its time to change something

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Youre kinda wrong, rack pulls, if done correctly are a good leg workout, deadlifts, most people do them while working the lower back, since it works more lower back than legs (If done correctly). Stiff legged also another good LEG workout (yet again, if done correctly). Deadlift scarapes can be avoided with baby powder or high socks.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AClb5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You could use a combered bar, or there is a bar that makes like a hexagon that you stand in and it works pretty good. But using a BB its hard to avoid.

wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Happens to me too from lowering the weight. No big deal.
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

UnknownWarrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh ok thanks guys....i was just making sure i wasn't the only one getting my knees bruised...well yeah i keep the bar as close as possible when deadlifting...

Originally Posted by Frankdaddy View Post
    Youre kinda wrong, rack pulls, if done correctly are a good leg workout, deadlifts, most people do them while working the lower back, since it works more lower back than legs (If done correctly). Stiff legged also another good LEG workout (yet again, if done correctly). Deadlift scarapes can be avoided with baby powder or high socks.
    rack pulls are used as a way of getting past a sticking point on the deadlift.....at the top where the legs have done most of their work and its up to the back to lock out

rack pulls are used as a way of getting past a sticking point on the deadlift.....at the top where the legs have done most of their work and its up to the back to lock out
    Some people use it for that, but it also works legs, like me..my problem is never in the lock out as long as I can get it off the ground then I can lock out
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

Some people use it for that, but it also works legs, like me..my problem is never in the lock out as long as I can get it off the ground then I can lock out
    same here

Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

But yes, wear some knee high socks or BABY POWDER, poor some al lthe way down the front of ya leg then use the bottom of the bottle to rub it in, and it will make your legs very smooth (which is what baby powder is for) thus helping the bar smoothly run up ya leg and it helps A LOT with bruising and skin tearing, but usually it will always bruise. Hard getting around it man.
    While you're at it, throw some of that baby powder in your ass crack. The mechanical advantage gained by not having your cheeks gnash together will be well worth the effort.

lmfao is that being serious or smartass ?
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
    While you're at it, throw some of that baby powder in your ass crack. The mechanical advantage gained by not having your cheeks gnash together will be well worth the effort.
    ahhhahah...one of the few times anything has made me laugh out loud on the internet..
    One day at a time..

Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lmfao is that being serious or smartass ?
    Just joking but the smiley would give it away too soon

(p.s. reps for not negging me lol)

Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
    Just joking but the smiley would give it away too soon

(p.s. reps for not negging me lol)
    he wouldn't neg you because you have a lot more rep power than he does..he tried negging me cus i'm only a 3 for laughing at the joke, but failed and repped me instead..lol
    One day at a time..

smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000)
    I see alot of people who when they DL do something which includes a bit of a row movement and so they bring their arms into things which inevitably means that they knock the bar off knees and or shins.
    I try to just use my arms as hooks to hold onto the bar with and not use them in anything other than a stabilising way...
    My knees/shins have never been bruised..... I'm not lifting the amounts that some of you are.... but 230lbs for a 145lb girl is not bad...

Originally Posted by Pounderr View Post
    he wouldn't neg you because you have a lot more rep power than he does..he tried negging me cus i'm only a 3 for laughing at the joke, but failed and repped me instead..lol

yea I was pissed after I hit the damn button..haha oh well, just a forum and I still get good reps to never get in the red

ANd to the girls post above me, 230 sounds real good for 140lb girl, good job
    Last edited by Frankdaddy; 06-28-2007 at 06:25 AM.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did DL's last night and then did a few dips afterward to help decompress the spine. My back snapped and felt great. Today I feel great so I may try that everytime i do DL's. I suppose hanging from a bar would work too. Stretch and decompress the spine after heavy loading. Knees and shins are still banged up a little but no pain.

Originally Posted by smdiskin View Post
    I see alot of people who when they DL do something which includes a bit of a row movement and so they bring their arms into things which inevitably means that they knock the bar off knees and or shins.
    I try to just use my arms as hooks to hold onto the bar with and not use them in anything other than a stabilising way...
    My knees/shins have never been bruised..... I'm not lifting the amounts that some of you are.... but 230lbs for a 145lb girl is not bad...
    good to hear man, what weight did you use ? and for how many reps
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Billyspt4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wild1poet2 View Post
    I did DL's last night and then did a few dips afterward to help decompress the spine. My back snapped and felt great. Today I feel great so I may try that everytime i do DL's. I suppose hanging from a bar would work too. Stretch and decompress the spine after heavy loading. Knees and shins are still banged up a little but no pain.
    I do dips too, people always ask why and when they try it after doing deads, they love it. I tihnk it make syou feel so much better the next day and even later the same day.

As for the bruises, I look at it like it's a battle scar, makes anyone with any sense in their head know that you train and train hard by doing one things most won't. I'm proud of my scarred shins, it's a small price to pay

smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000)
    good to hear man, what weight did you use ? and for how many reps
    230lbs for 10 reps (2 sets of 10).... it's the grip that gives... even with tapes...
    aiming for 330 on squat and SLDL....

Originally Posted by Billyspt4 View Post
    I do dips too, people always ask why and when they try it after doing deads, they love it. I tihnk it make syou feel so much better the next day and even later the same day.
    I'm really surprised how good i felt the day after. I'm going to make it a habit after DL's to do some dips or hang from a bar. I'm assuming it must relate to some decompression of hip joints, vertebra, etc. But it was very noticeable.
    Sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Im moving up to 405 for sets of 5 next week, so hopefully that goes well, im still strength training for my powerlifting comp so im making big jumps in weight, might move down to 3 reps so I can throw some more up
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0