chambers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

whats the best grip for a bench press?what do you use?

hey guys, i was just wondering do you think i'll see larger gains on my chest if i hold the bar with a wider grip on my bench?

like not just outside shoulder width but like 3-4 cms further?

What do you guys use for bench?

i just feel like my chest inst catching up with the rest of my body and im wondering is because im not getting the most out of my bench.

thanks for the input.

MooseMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    use dumbells
    do dips

Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100) Duggan18 is not very well liked. (-100)
    i line up my pinkies with the rings

bump

bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bam88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i grip slightly more than my shoulder width cuz i find it most comfortable that way.

BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you feel like it might help try a wider grip and see how you go. Can't hurt I guess, just as long as you don't go too wide.

But usually a normal grip, with your arms making an L-Shape or 90degree angle at the elbow, should isolate your chest nicely.

If your diet is good and you are doing the right exercises you shoudl be seeing some gains, even more so if you take supplements.

Try DB Presses, DB Flyes (incline too if you wish), Dips, Incline DB Presses etc

Chest is such a good body part to hit and hit well just mix it up. But like I said, witht he barbell if your arms are making an L-Shape or 90 degree angle when you lower the bar down to your chest you should be good and be hitting the chest nicely. If your current grip is already like this, maybe your not lifting heavy enough to force growth out of your chest (ie. going to failure)???
    It's being a part of the Red, White and Green that makes me a Rooting Machine. And when you feel my mighty Stallion, you will know you have been with a true Italian. :D

Edit Dec 2009: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I was gay when I was 15.

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When I bench on a Smith Machine or Seated, I don't put my thumbs around the bar, I just line them up along the bar. This grip isn't used a lot, but I've found it allows me to get the mind-muscle link with my pecs and helps me isolate them better over the delts and triceps.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10) pinfrEak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've always lined my index finger with the rings to get that stretch and to widen my chest.

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Basically:

Shoulder-width: Equal pressure on general pec area and anterior delts, slightly less on triceps
    1-2 inch less than shoulder: Same as above, slightly more on triceps and inner pec
    1-2 inch more than shoulder: More pressure on the outer pecs and anterior delts, even less on triceps.

Vary the width each workout so you work the whole width of the chest.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

sweet, rep points for you bad asses.

keep the advice/suggestions comen guys

chambers.

IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IGF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Forearms slightly wider than perpendicular at the bottom of the motion.

IMO just experiment with different grips. The extra 2 inches i widened my grip made a big difference wether it was chest or delt/tri

USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The more 'in' you grip, the more triceps you are involving. I use a very wide grip, but that is just me. I DO NOT RECOMMEND WIDE GRIP TO THOSE THAT HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST ROTATOR OR SHOULDER PROBLEMS! This is just common sense. I get a tremendous stretch in the chest and raise my reps a little on these. Make sure to warm up thoroughly without taxing yourself if you're going to do these, too.

And oh yea, no such thing as 'outer' and 'inner' pecs.

Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morrison will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good advice has been given already so all I'll say is that I used the more narrow grip like I was taught until I was stuck at a bench that I couldn't get to increase, then I made my grip wider and put my ring finger on the rings and in a few weeks to a month my bench went up
    2009 NPC North Carolina State Men's Jr. Overall Champion!
    2008 NPC North Carolina State - Men's Jr. - 2nd Place
    2006 NPC Elite Muscle Classic - Teen - 1st Place
    2006 NPC Carolina Clash - Men's Jr. - 2nd Place
    2006 NPC North Carolina State - Teen - 2nd Place
    2005 NPC Elite Muscle Classic - Teen - 3rd Place
    2004 NPC North Carolina State - Teen - 3rd Place
    2004 NPC Western North Carolina - Novice - 5th Place

Bench: 360
    Squat: 600
    Deadlift: 560
    Total: 1520 @ 198 RAW