diehard723 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking to cut down on fat, but gain muscle

Whats up all,

I started lifting about a month ago again, after taking a break for about 6 months. I am 257 lbs and I am having trouble getting my muscles to show through the layer of fat on top of them. I just started cardio again last week, but I want to know how can I define my muscles and make them show through the small layer of fat on top of them at the same time. I have been lifting (lighter weights, with mor sets and more reps, 4x25 to be exact. But, my buddy told me today that I might need to lift heavier weight to get the muscles to poke through and worry about definition later. I really need advice on this, because I do not know who to listen too!

Willing to hear your ideas

Thanks
    Paul

novice_trainee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depending on how tall you are, you will probably have to lose a considerable amount of fat to get any definition. Focus on building strength and losing fat and the muscle will begin to show. I would also suggest you stop lifitng 4x25; there's almost never a good reason to do that.

My suggestion would be to work on compound lifts, which will stimulate the maximal amount of muscle and give your body a pretty good workout. Check out the Rippetoe sticky at the top of this forum. It's simple and effective.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by novice_trainee View Post
    there's almost never a good reason to do that.
    Except joint health...

Seriously though, I'd agree that 4X25 isn't of much use from a muscle building perspective. Lower reps, heavier weights. I'd do some work in the 3-6 rep range, as well as some in the 8-10 rep range. Using both will result in you getting both bigger and stronger.

Eat clean. Cut out the crap from your diet. More carbs on your weight lifting days, less on your cardio days. Lotsa protein. Plenty of EFAs.

Consider some GPP for cardio, instead of the perpetual treadmills or bicycles. Better long term calorie requirements and body recomp effect.

Do all that, eat at just below maintenance calorie levels, and you should slowly lean out while getting a little bit bigger.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

diehard723 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am around 6 feet tall and I started doing 8-12 reps today for 4 sets. I think I feel stronger already