Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) admin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

WEEK TWO :: What Are Your Top 3 Supplements?

TOPIC: Which three supplements would you take if you could only choose three and why? Please give your detailed answer about why you chose these three. You can use brand names if you want, or just a generic answer like "creatine".

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $50 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it.

Thanks,
    Ryan DeLuca
    Bodybuilding.com

***Misc Ikariam Crue*** morgansd12's Avatar
    morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    1. Protein/Carb Weight Gainer Shake (most any brand)

Getting the right amount of cals is the most important thing or close to it. Shakes can be used to get as close as reasonably feasible to your daily caloric needs when the food you want to eat doesn't quite add up right.

2. Multivitamin

Obvious reasons

3. Creatine

Only thing that I am 100% convinced that works, and is backed by scientific and bodybuilder evidence. 99% of the other "supplements" are at best highly suspicious marketing ploys that will do little to nothing for you on a good day. Right up there with "penile length enhancers". BTW did anyone see the public notice of fraudulent advertising in the last M&F.

AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb

My top 3 supplements would be as follows:

1. Whey protein powder/shake

These work as a great supplement for people who don't get enough protein in their diets when they are lifting weights. It comes in a variety of flavors and brands and there are plenty to choose from. Protein shakes are particularly helpful when you are trying to get a certain % of your nutrients from protein (for example, a 40/40/30 carbrotein:fat ratio) and you don't get enough of it through normal dietary sources. I am not a big advocate of high-protein or keto dieting, but in my opinion protein shakes are a good, basic supplement for any person who is undergoing an active weight lifting program or exercise in general. These types of supplements are also good for anyone wanting to supplement their protein intake in addition to their normal diet.

2. Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement

Multivitamins are good because they are a good "insurance" that your body will receive the micronutrients it needs. Most of us don't have the greatest dietary habits and we don't eat a wide enough variety of foods to supplement the nutrient needs that our body has. Multivitamins are in no way a substitute for adequate nutrition or healthy foods, but they provide a baseline for nutrition and prevent deficiencies in many vitamins and minerals. I think a basic multi-vitamin/multi-mineral product is a good selection for anyone of any age. Be sure to check out the label to make sure you are getting a little of each nutrient. Watch out for megadose vitamin supplements that claim to help with different things. I would recommend a basic multi to just about anyone wanting to make sure they get the proper nutrients.

3. High-protein snack bars

These high-protein snack bars are great for people who don't have a lot of time to cook and need something they can stick in their bag or backpack and have a snack in the middle of the day. There are a wide variety of these bars available with some that are high-protein and some that are more of a "balanced" micronutrient variety. There are tons of flavors available and it's best to try different ones out until you stumble across one that you really like. I believe they are a good supplement to help increase protein intake, but not a staple source of nutrition in the diet. Good on-the-go nutrition for people with busy lifestyles like students, people working, etc......

Those are my 3!

AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceRx will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb

Sorry about that smiley face in the middle of the post, I don't know how it got there....

ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000) ravadongon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does anyone know who won the $50 of supps in the last topic of the week thread?

warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My top three supps:

1) Whey protein shakes ( I choose Opitimum Nutrition 100% whey as it's cheap and effective) I think these are very important in anybody's diet. They are easy to make, taste good, and you can even add other stuff in them such as oats, natty peanut butter, or some fruit for extra carbs or protein. Without these i would not get the recommended protein intake.

2) Creatine (any brand) This is probably the safest supp on the market. It has been backed by plenty of scientific research and it actually works for me and alot other ppl i know. Its just a good all around product for strength and size.

3) EFA's (any brand) I think these are def over looked when taking supps. Ive been taking them for the last 2-3 years and are just as important or prolly more important than multivitamins. If u eat a well balanced diet i dont think u need mulit's. EFA's have a lot of health beneifts to such as increased energy, helps with arthritis, and can help with the immune system. Overall a very strong and healthy supplement.
    "It's not that i'm that smart, it's just i picked a profession where everybody is stupid" Patrick Arnold

"Yes I Get That Your Balls Might Shrink While On It...but Last Time I Checked I Didnt Fuxk With My Balls Its The Shaft You Use Isnt It? And It Dosent Shrink...." Pro Lee Priest

the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Winners From The First Topic

Are in the first page of the topic:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=303891

Thanks,

Will
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ironman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Whey Protein-

Whey is one of the highest quality proetins availible. Its an extemely cheap protein source, comes in many different flavors, and is perfect for after workouts. It is also helpful for dieting(cutting/bulking). Protein is the most important nutrient a bodybuilder needs to have due to its muscles building/repairing effects. Protein is needed to create a positive nitrogen balance as well as keeping blood amino acid levels above base-line to stay in an anabolic state, it is simply put the most important nutrient a bodybuilder could have. It is not some miracle muscle builder but it is a basic that is needed for consistant constant gains.

Creatine-

Creatine is a very beneificial supplement for bodybuilders as well. Creatine causes increase in strength, Lean Body Mass, Faster Recovery, and much more. A creatine cycle is one of the easiest and safest ways to boost mucscle growth. Creatine has worked wonders for me and i believe it to be a very good supplement. For those fourtunate enough to be responders to creatine are extremely lucky to have this supplement on there side. For those that don't respond to creatine monohydryate there are several different types of creatine the have come out recently. These products such as Swole and V12 tend to respond better. So now creatine is now safe and effective for a much wider group of people. Creatine is without a doubt a very good supplement.

ZMA-

Zma is a natural test booster with many other positive effects. Not only does it help to boost testosterone, but it also induces sleep. By inducing sleep you will get a deeper sleep which will help to repair muscles. Also by getting a deeper fuller sleep more HGH will be released naturally by your body increasing muscle growth as well as stimulating the metabolism. I feel that ZMA is a very important supplement with many positive benefits. It is especially important to males over the age of 30, whose natural test level are falling fast. ZMA is a way to boost natural levels of testosterone without negative side effects like that of pro-hormones and steriods.

Registered User BigTruckGuy3500's Avatar
    BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigTruckGuy3500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    1)Whey Protein - Proteins are the building blocks of tissue. Without an adequate supply of protein your muscles can't fully regenerate themselves, and will then waste away, or at best just maintain themselves. However you will likely see overtraining very quickly. Also, proteins are composed of aminio acids. Amino Acids are very important in carrying out essential bodily functions and processes. Protein channels also exist in cells, these allow for energy to be produced by creating potential energy with hydrogen ions. This energy is then used to create ATP. More ATP, more energy for the cells to use to rebuild, and thus faster and better recovery.

2)Multivitamin- As bodybuilders, we often limit certain macronutrients like fat and carbs. Carbohydrates contain many micronutrients that our bodies really need. And without a healthy intake of fat, fat soluble vitamins can't be stored in your body as effectively. So daily supplementation gives your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to carry out certain processes and functions. And calcium supplementation can help increase bone mass when coupled with load bearing exercises.

3)Creatine - creatine supplementation can really have two effects. If you want to be able to stimulate your muscles more, by placing a larger load on them, then creatine should be taken pre-workout, about an hour before. However this can be dangerous if your ligaments and tendons aren't capable of handling such loads. The other way is using it post workout to enhance recovery. This works because creatine helps speed up the phosporylation of ADP to ATP. ATP is what your body stores energy in. Whenever your body needs energy for anything ranging from movement/lifting to digestion and repair, it uses ATP. That's right, more ATP means it has more potential energy it can use to repair. And on off days, when you take creatine to maintain muscular levels, additional ATP doesn't have much work to do, so the energy released by it is coupled with another reaction to create glutamine. The amino acid that is most depleted after exercise can be synthesized faster with creatine. However some supplementation of glutamine may be helpful as well, but creatine is better overall.

UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) UliqMadiq is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The Top Three Supplements on the Market

1) Optimum Nutrition's 100% Chocolate Whey Protein 5 lb. canister -

BENEFITS:
    1) Convenience - No need for long-drawn-out preparation, unpacking, chewing or defrosting. Scoop, shake and chug. The 5 lb. canister offers both the cost-effectiveness of the 10 lb. bag, and the ease of use of the 2 lb. tub.

2) Bioavailability - Whey, being 100% bioavailable, is absorbed completely and efficiently by the body.

3) Cost-Effective - One of the cheapest high-quality wheys on the market, ON's 100% will take out about $30 from your monthly budget if ordered from Bodybuilding.com.

4) Ideal for Frequent Use - ON's 100% Whey is low-sugar (1 g./serving) and low-fat (1.5 g./serving), meaning that it can be used regularly without you having to worry about insulin spikes or excessive saturated fat (0.5 g./serving). If you have cholestrol problems, you need not worry either, since it is low in cholestrol (10 mg./serving) and low in sodium (40 mg./serving). The majority of its contents is protein.

5) Universal Application - ON's 100% is also unique in that it can be used whether you are trying to gain mass, lose fat, running a ketogenic diet, going low-fat, low-cal or what have you. It will provide the protein you need to keep your body in an anabolic state (23 g./serving), it won't interfere with lipolysis due to its low-calorie profile (110 cals/serving), it won't step in the way of ketogenesis due to its low-carbohydrate quantity (3 g./serving), and of course it packs very little fat in each scoop. Even if you are using a specific strategy for contest dieting (for example, if you are strictly avoiding sodium to prevent 'the bloat' of water retention), it won't take you away from your goals.

6) Non-Gassy - From personal experience, I'd say a lot of wheys on the market that I've been tempted to buy because of their low cost have given me terrible amounts of gas, or even prompted a bad case of the trots. Not so with ON's 100%, which provides quite a good meeting point between the low price of the gas-giving wheys and the high quality of the more expensive brands.

7) Nutrient Timing - After an intense workout, you need a quickly digested protein source to replenish your fatigued muscles and put a stop to the catabolism that will ensue. Due to its high bioavailability, whey is the quickest absorbed protein source. And of course, due to its convenience you can easily carry it to the gym in a shaker bottle and add water right over there. Some people also recommend having a scoop first thing in the morning to stop the catabolism that is prompted by sleeping. Personally I like to mix some in with my oatmeal, or if I have time such as on weekends, then make some chocolate protein pancakes.

8) Taste - Let's face it, if you are going to be consuming whey so regularly, you don't want it to taste pathetic. ON 100% Whey Chocolate isn't the best tasting whey on the market, but it certainly does the trick. It's reasonably rich if you mix it with a little bit of cold water (as I do), and it goes down smoothly and easily. In my years of serious training, once I discovered Optimum (early on), I've never switched completely to other brands; only now and then to compare tastes. I'm still very impressed with this one.
    DISADVANTAGES:
    1) Quick Absorption - Apart from the issue of nutrient timing - such as postworkout - you don't want a staple protein source in your diet to go in and out of your body so quickly that you need to refuel right after to keep catabolism at bay. Whey will stay in most individual's bodies for an hour and a half at most assuming they take it alone, though it could be less. Certainly, whey is no replacement for a whole foods meal or protein source.

2) Not the Absolute Best Ingredients - ON's 100% Whey can't stake its claim as having the best ingredients of all the options on the market. EAS's Precision Protein is an example of a product that outshines ON in this light, given its whey protein isolate base, minus all the hydrolyzed whey peptides that go into ON's 100% (which mean, unfortunately, that many of the critical whey microfractions are lost in the production process).
    CONCLUSION:
    If ON's 100% is used correctly and taken with good timing, one can certainly work around the issue of quick absorption and use it to one's advantage. As for the ingredients being very slightly sub-par, there is no doubt that for the cost of the product you can't get a better deal on a whey product. There is a good reason this is the number one selling supplement on Bodybuilding.com, and it is definitely the one supplement around which all your others should be based.

2) Syntrax Swole V2 -

BENEFITS:
    1) Creatine Inclusion - Creatine is touted as a highly effective nutrient in increasing strength and muscle size, which has been confirmed in dozens of university studies. Swole V2 makes use of this potent ingredient in its product.

2) Universal Usage - Swole V2 is designed to work for creatine non-responders, those unforunate folks amongst us who don't see much of a difference from using the popular creatine in monohydrate form. Making use of Dicreatine malate, it gives you the many proven benefits of creatine in a highly soluble form that jumps over the nonresponder problem.

3) Pumps - They don't have all that much practical value, but the placebo effect from a good pump is undeniable. I for one love walking around with a bulging vein in my bicep, swollen up to well beyond my natural size. Of course, this isn't the chief purpose of a product, but it's nice to have it thrown in.
    DISADVANTAGES:
    1) Potentially Inhibitive to Growth - Swole V2 has come under attack from some sources for being dangerous due to the inclusion of Guanidinopropionic Acid as one of the ingredients, which led to retarded growth in lab rats (and other animals) in one study.
    CONCLUSION:
    Unfortunately, nearly all critics of Swole V2 have been found to be either competitors with Syntrax or associates of competitors, slightly diminishing their credibility. Nonetheless, Syntrax did address the safety issue with their claim that with their inclusion of Betaine in the ingredients (2 g. of Betapure Betaine Anhydrous/serving), the negative effects of the Guanidinopropionic Acid (500 mg./serving) are offset since Betaine can act as a methyl donor. The jury is still out, but if you were to go on apparent results, I'd recommend Swole V2 as one of the most effective supplements I've ever had.
    3) HFS The Total EFA -

BENEFITS:
    1) Growth - EFAs are often overlooked, but products like Health From The Sun's Total EFA provide Omega 3 (6,200 mg ALA/serving), Omega 6 (288 mg GLA/serving and 2,400 mg Linoleic Acid/serving) and Omega 9 (1850 mg. Oleic Acid/serving) acids, which are all utilized for your muscle cell walls and membrane fluids. Additonally, the Series 1 Prostaglandins in HFS's Total EFA will increase muscle cell protein synthesis. Basically, if you want to produce bigger muscles, EFAs will help you speed up the process.

2) Energy - EFAs are critical in the body's energy production. The primary function of fat itself is energy; in a product like this, all the "bad stuff" in fat is removed, and all the beneficial things left in. Ergo, you get the energy boost minus the waistline increase.

3) Hormone Production - Studies show that the body's production of all hormones (including testosterone) is sub-optimal with a dietary fat intake of under 100 g. daily for an average individual. Of course, we all don't need that much fat, that many calories or an "optimal" hormonal production, but HFS's Total EFA can help ensure that your hormones don't leave your gains hanging. Also, the Prostaglandins elevate growth hormone secretion.

4) Security - With the same logic many people apply to a multivitamin, some say that you can get all your EFA needs from your diet. This is certainly true, but a lot of people are unable to eat salmon and walnuts every day. Tuna is mostly eaten from a can, in which case you lose the EFAs anyway. Thus, unless you are certain you have a diet that satisfies all your EFA needs, an EFA supplement is a neccessary purchase.

5) Cost Effective - It's a reasonably cheap supplement.
    DISADVANTAGES:
    1) Taste - I don't mind it, but I know some people hate the taste. For them the capsule version may be the answer (plus it's convenient), although it's less economical.
    CONCLUSION:
    EFAs have no real disadvantages per se, and no real opposition either. They're essential to sedentary individuals (hence the name, "Essential Fatty Acids"), and completely unavoidable to bodybuilders.
    Final notes -

The reason I didn't include multivitamins in my list is that I believe many (not all) of the "bodybuilder's multivitamins" on the market today are in essence overkill. They include mega-dosages that will most likely be excreted by the body, even in the most active individuals, and are priced high too. Instead, I use a basic drugstore product, and supplement it with individual vitamins that a bodybuilder might use more so than the regular individual. This works out cheaper and just as effective as any of those mega-pack multivitamin products. I've given a try to several of them, and have never noticed any differences from my method. (Note: This approach requires relatively extensive research of various vitamins)

Finally, I just want to wrap up by stating the obvious - supplements are not enough for muscle growth. Just like the name states, they're "supplements" to a good diet. They're the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. That said, with proper research and a good choice of supplements, you can maximize your gains and keep the ball rolling.
    Last edited by UliqMadiq; 09-23-2004 at 10:30 PM.
    "The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

mr_pakistan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The best supplements.....

One should not completely depend upon supplement. Good nutrition is
    the key for proper muscle growth. Natural supplements are good like
    protein and creatine. One should not use steroids to grow their muscle
    as life is more important than muscle growth. Some supplement which
    contain illegal and harmful effects should not also be consumed like
    ephedra.

Nowadays, supplement companies are earning millions from their
    supplements. 1 simple serving of protein drink costs you about
    $2 that can also be replaced by egg whites.

If you are very very serious and want to compete than only
    supplements should be consumed. According to me one should
    not buy protein drink because protein foods are available
    like egg whites, chicken and tuna.

I also suggest not to take creatine because when you stop taking
    creatine you will loose some water weight and you will look
    smaller than you were before.

Glutamine is a good supplement because it helps you recover
    and avoids overtraining. Glutamine should be consumed regularly
    because its a very very much useful supplement.

Remember onething that supplements are not everything. They are
    just pillar of a building but not the whole building. Your growth
    depends mainly on your nutrition and training.

Weight gainers are also just a waste of money. A serving of weight gainer
    has about 2000 calories. But it would be good if you get it from food sources
    like chicken and beans.

To assist in developing lean muscle mass I would suggest that you take a good free
    form amino acid capsule and good BCAAs.

I suggest 3 supplements which are as follow :

1) CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)

CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is a fatty acid related to the omega-6
    fatty acids one of the two types of essential fatty acids. Although CLA
    (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) occurs naturally in meat and dairy products,
    most people do not consume adequate amounts through diet alone.

CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) has gained much acclaim for its safe and effective
    weight-loss benefits. However, CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is not just a weight-loss
    wonder. In addition to promoting weight loss and reduced body fat, CLA (Conjugated
    Linoleic Acid) enhances immunity, supports a healthy inflammation response and is
    a potent provider of antioxidant protection.

Your increased lean muscle burns more calories in order to function, thereby speeding
    up the fat burning process, which further slims your body. As a result, you lose fat in
    all the right places. You drop a clothes size. You feel great. All this without the
    dreaded yo-yo effect.

CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid):

* Promotes decreases in body fat
    * Support increases in lean body mass
    * Maintain healthy inflammation response
    * Enhances immune function
    * Provides antioxidant protection

2) L- Carnitine

L-carnitine is another supplement that I have taken to burn fat and boost my
    energy and muscle endurance. L-carnitine works by transferring long-chain
    fatty acids, such as triglycerides into mitochondria where the compound is oxidized to
    produce energy. I typically take 1 capsule, 3 x a day on an empty stomach.

L-Carnitine is a vitamin-like amino acid metabolite found only in red meat.
    It is synthesized in the human body from the amino acid Lysine. Carnitine
    plays a role in facilitating the transfer of fatty acid groups into the
    mitochondrial membrane for energy production.

L- Cartine:

* Carnitine slows the aging process
    * Carnitine keeps triglycerides low and raises HDL cholesterol
    * Carnitine also helps prevent heart disease by enhancing the overall
    health of the heart and by helping to prevent cardiac arrhythmias
    * Carnitine helps promote weight loss
    * Carnitine increases energy levels naturally
    * Carnitine enhances sports performance and endurance and reduces the damage to the body that can occur during exercise
    * L-carnitine natuarlly increases mental energy and helps relieve depression
    * Carnitine enhances liver function

3) L- Glutamine

L-Glutamine is involved in maintaining a positive nitrogen balance
    (an anabolic state) and is a regulator is a nitrogen transporter helps
    prevent muscle wasting improves muscle recovery and has a cell-volumizing effect.

Since, intense workouts can reduce glutamine levels in the body are reduced by as
    much as 50% and catabolism (muscle break down) can occur if the body is deficient
    in regards to glutamine. Remember, glutamine is the most abundant amino acid found
    in muscle tissue and 60% of free-form amino acids floating in skeletal muscles are
    L-glutamine, so it is important that you replace the glutamine used if you want to make gains.

To minimize muscle catabolism and to speed up recovery time consider taking a good protein
    meal with glutamine immediately following your work out (or 2 grams in capsule form).
    Do not take any creatine at this time since glutamine and creatine compete for the same
    absorption receptors. I have never used creatine because i know its a waste of money.

L- Glutamine:

* Increase Muscle Hardness
    * Increase Protein Synthesis
    * Increase Muscle Strength
    * Enhances Recovery
    * Increase Muscle Cell Hydration

Conclusion :

I have never said to avoid whey protein. Its good but protein is simply available in
    other foods also. If you dont have time to cook food han protein shake can work
    for you.

You should only use meal replacement powders and protein bar when you are busy
    other wise get into the kitchen and cook the food.

"DONOT COMPLETELY DEPEND ON SUPPLEMENTS", As they only help reaching your goals
    but they dont promise you that they will let you reach your goals.

I wona get $50 this time ....
    Hassan Hanif Madni....

Constitutionist/Masculist Purge's Avatar
    Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Purge is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Higher Power M-1-T, Cytodyne, and Boldione.

kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingfish3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    1. creatine with glutamine and arginine in it
    2. whey protein, i dont drink much myself though. I eat more cottage cheese and meat for my protein, but the whey is coming soon for fat loss
    3. glucosamine for the joints

Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1. Meal Replacement Powder

It is more important than simple whey protein. One of the most important things in making gains and burning fat is to eat multiple small meals per day. MRP's allow you to take in at least 6 meals per day consistently. They are more complete than simple whey protein, in fact they contain whey plus carbs, essential fats, fiber and vitamins and minerals. They are the most complete supplement out there. Nowadays the new formulas use low glycemic, high fiber, quality carbs as well.

2. Multivitamin

Nutritional insurance, this should be a base supplement for everyone.

3. Creatine monohydrate

Still the best, most proven, time tested and studied form of creatine.
    Rep system sucks, we all agree, the only ones who really use it are idiots who think it makes a difference

mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000) mindraper is just really nice. (+1000)
    1. - Whey Protein
    * Postworkout protein along with carbs is a must in order to feed your muscles so you maximize your gains!
    * Helps you to get extra protein in an easy way while dieting
    * It digest fast by the body and fuels fatigued muscles.
    * Quick way to get a meal full of protein while busy, etc.
    * It can be hard to get enough protein per pound with only eating regular food. You can get like 20-40g average from one 500ml protein shake.

2. - Creatine Monohydrate
    * Creatine fuels your muscles. Creatine is made naturally by your body BUT taking extra creatine increases your energy levels!
    * You're able to lift heavier weights while taking creatine than while not using creatine.
    * I even take creatine half of the time while cutting. It gives you a good energy boost while energy levels lower as you're cutting.
    * Helps you keeping your head up high in weight training while cutting.
    * Creatine causes water retention, so your muscles look bigger and fuller.

3. - L-Glutamine
    * Helps your muscles to recover MUCH faster.
    * Minimizes the breakdown of muscle tissue while doing cardio.
    * Helps your immune system!! (Im immune for grass and such things and it really helps.)
    "Also I do recommend steroids for all depressed males, and not anti depressants." - Nasser El Sonbaty IFBB PRO 2007

wmte has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Top 3 Supplements

If I could only take three supplements I would take the USANA Essentials, Proflavanol 90 and Procosa 2. The essentials are the number one multi vitamin in North America and are listed in the Physician Desk Reference the pharmaceutical version. Yes pharmaceutical –grade. The essentials consist of 39 nutrient categories, consisting of 17 vitamins or vitamin-like factors, 14 minerals, 3 phytonutrient complexes and 5 other nutritional factors. As we all know the FDA does not regulate nutritional supplements. USANA is registered with the FDA as a pharmaceutical manufacturer. Also listed in PDR Proflavanol 90. Proanthocyanidins are distributed to virtually every organ and tissue, and remain in the body for up to 72 hours. Proanthocyanidins may be bioavailable and are absorbed from the stomach into the bloodstream. Not only do Proanthocyanidins neutralize free radicals themselves, but they conserve and regenerate vitamins C and E. Vitamin E is a powerful free-radical scavenger, and flavonols and vitamin C regenerate vitamin E. Also listed in the PDR USANA's advanced Procosa II offers a higher amount of glucosamine sulfate for support and maintenance of cartilage. Not only that, but Procosa II contains a revolutionary COX-II inhibitor that comes in the natural form of turmeric. Glucosamine and turmeric are powerful ingredients that work together to provide lasting support for your joints that cannot be found in any other joint formula products. The most powerful formulation on the market. For any questions and or comments PM me
    Last edited by wmte; 09-30-2004 at 10:57 AM.
    William Edwards

Joonbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Top Three supplements

1. BCAA - #1 would definitely have to be BCAA. I know this may run counter to what everybody is saying, BUT a lot of us do aerobics/cardio after weight training, more important than creatine (which you have to cycle), you have to take in 3 to 6 grams of BCAA's prior to doing the aerobics. I gained 1/4 inch on my arms, 1/2 inch on my chest, 1/2 inch on my thighs as a result of taking BCAA prior to aerobics and eating a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein post-workout 60g carb to 20g protein (30g simple carb, 30g complex carb). As for some people that cannot afford protein powders, non/low fat milk and a nice peanut butter sandwich is an excellent substitue.

2. Multivitamins - I know, people say if you eat a balanced diet you don't need it. But as bodyuilders moving weights beyond our bodyweight, something's going to give. From my own empirical evidence, when I took the multivitamins I didn't notice anything, it's when I stopped taking it I noticed sore joints, sluggishness (or is it psychological????) and some lack of energy.

3. Any MRP - with casein such as Met Rx. The slow release is great for nighttime growth. I normally wouldn't put this in the top 3. But I live in South Korea now, and as advanced as the country has become, I can't find cottage cheese!!!!!!!!! If I could find cottage cheese here I would have ranked creatine (isn't it ironic, I have to buy all my supplements here via black market, LOL) despite the fact you have to cycle it.

On an English teacher's salary, the multivitamin, the MRP (bought black market) and the BCAA's(bought black market), black market it's anywhere from 30 to 60% more expensive than if bought from the States don't kill me. So I eat a lotta peanut butter and milk to substitute.
    Last edited by Joonbug; 09-30-2004 at 10:01 PM.
    Pray 4 1 Korea
    from the Asian Sensation
    A Better body comes from
    one rep at a time

StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Simple no need for a huge explanation
    PROTEINS 1 & 2
    >IF THEIR IS ONE SUPPLEMENT EVERYONE NEEDS BEFORE TRAINING, DURING TRAINING, AFTER TRAINING AND WHILE SLEEPING ITS PROTEIN<

1) WHEY protein
    -Supply on demand

2) CASEIN protein
    -Sustained supply

PROTEINS are essential to our bodies. They are essential for the building and maintain of our muscles and are needed for every other regenerative process in the body. The amino acids are the building blocks of our bodies. Both proteins contain many amino acids which not only aid in nutrition but also increase the uptake of nutrients from other foods and boost the immune system.

3) It all depends what does it for you we all need protein from both sources but other then that it all depends what product does it for the individual. A multivitamin is universal although many who have a complete diet don’t need them. ZMA, Creatine, Glutamate, HMB etc take your pick no one knows what works for you except you but what works for everyone and what everyone needs is
    PROTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It aint just how much you lift but how you lift it

richdr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. Flinstones Vitamens. yummy!

2. Optimum BCAA's.

3. Champion Nutrition
    Super Heavyweight Gainer 1200, Chocolate

Young Taylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1) ON 100% Whey
    2) Prolab Creatine Monohydrate
    3) Ultimate Nutrition HMB Capsules

adam80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

if i only had 3 supplements

1- multivitamin . building our bodies up or even just being fit is much like building a house. first you need to have a solid foundation which i believe is found in a multi , plus to get all the minerals and vitamins without one ,we would need to eat many more calories making it impossible to show our muscles off. Also in a world of bulking and cutting with nutrient defficient diets it is imperative to have a multi at your side to keep you functioning properly in a unsatiated and muscle starving caloric intake.

2- branch chain amino acids .as most of us know aminos are the final product of protien . again with diet if in a low caloric state or even in a high , if we do not have amino acids readily available our very smart human body will decide that it needs some for proper muscle function . therefore it will take stored amino acids (and yes they are stored in our muscles ) and use them for the exertion we are creating by working out. now if the goal is hypertrophy (muscle growth) this definatly would not be the best way to go . thats why by supplementing with them your body always has some at hand.

3-whey meal replacement powder-- having enough protien to grow is definatly very importient since muscle is made of it. again for a bulking diet and yet even more a low calorie diet , to keep the hard earned muscle thet we are trying to show off .the powder is also very easy to mix up and feed muscles right after a work out when they need it most, and a good nutritional choice if not given a chance to eat(hence the meal replacement) although we would never want to miss a meal. I chose way because it has the best bio availabity and use.

so there are my three choices for sups. as i firmly believe sups are a great aid in bodybuilding , fitness and everyday life but the foundation of supplements should always be a clean healthy diet lifestyle and as always plenty of water.

CHABSENTIA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Top Three

1.Whey Protein Isolate:This is needed to supplement your diet.It should be easy to mix as a Blender is not always there for people on the "go "and many products do not mix properly and retain a "clumpy" composition.It should have zero carbs and fats in order to enable the body builder to use another form of carbs and fats so as not to limit the Protein intake from the Isolate thus allowing for different goals of Body Builders where the Protiein ratio of 1.0-1.5 grams per pound of body weight is constant but the fat and carb intakes may differ. I prefer "Nectar" by Syntrax that has 90% protein and no sugar,fat or carbs and has a fruity taste.
    2. BCAA: Needed to supplement and insure the needs of the body as the more active a person then the faster basic and necessary amino acids are depleted and need to be replenished.
    3. Vitamins: Self Explanatory as the body needs vitamins.

cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1) VP2 Whey Protein Isolate
    2) Creatine HSC
    3) Pro-Flex 750 (Glucosamine)

Natbornthrilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I take

1. Methoxy-pro. protein shake by cytodyne
    -has glutamine
    -creatine
    -bcaa
    great for protein source. Great taste even better results

2. NO XPLODE
    -nitic oxide
    -creatine
    great for extending workout time and intensity.feel affects quickly!

3. Xtreme Ripped Fuel

Great fat burner to add to a stack aimed at building muscle.

nickx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 essential supplements

1/ Whey protein shake: Due to its fast release this should be taken in three crucial moments: Before the work out to prevent muscle breakdown. Using the window theory its really good within 45 minutes after the workout to rapidly overcome the catabolic effects of training. Upon rising, muscles wake up hungry after 8 hours of starvation and suplementing it will help us to set our body in anabolic mode.

2/ Mix protein shake containig whey protein and casein or milk protein. The presence of casein or milk protein will slowdown the digestion of the protein, even when the whey protein is present. For this reason this mixture is good for a meal replacement shake. Also adding some carbs like oatmeal aswell as a fat source with essential fatty acids will complete the equation of a pefect meal replacement shake.

3/ Multivitamin and mineral formula: Vitamins and minerals are nutrients that are essential to life. They are required in relatively small amounts, if compared with the amounts of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats that bodybuilders need. In general, vitamins function as coenzymes, meaning that they work together with an enzyme in reactions occurring in the body. Every process taking place in our bodies is controlled by an enzyme. Without the participation of enzymes we could not live, and without vitamins the enzymes would be unable to function. The body relies upon a steady supply of vitamins and minerals to function at optimum levels.

CHABSENTIA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re:

I did not mention Creatine since it causes myself and others to gain weight. Some people want to bulk up and some want to be lean and muscular etc.In most cases Creatine does not allow for that choice.Vitamins are essential to life and to prevent certain diseases.

DooH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whey protein
    Creatine
    Glutamine

= Muscle!!

BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigRob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think that before someone begins to take supplements they should lay out a detailed meal plan. Supplements are meant as an "aid" not as a steady diet or a meal itself. Many people think that they need to take supplement when bodybuilding. I think this is a myth that should be explained to many new, and even advanced athletes.

As for the supplement, the top 3 that I would choose are Whey Protein, Multi-Vitamin and
    Creatine.

Whey Protein is a very effective supplement for bodybuilders and any other kind of athlete. It has many advantages, only some of which I will highlight.
    Whey protein is a cheap and quick way to supply your body with sufficient amounts of protein that was missed during your diet. It is quickly absorbed and can easily help bodybuilders reach the "recommended" of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. The great taste of this in a shake is also a perk of Whey Protein. Whey Protein helps to increase lean muscle mass of an
    athlete. It also can help with weight loss. You can provide your body with sufficient amounts of protein needed for muscle growth and recovery while keeping calories to a minimum. Whey protein can also be used by those who are lactose intolerant. It contains very low levels of lactose which make it friendly to those with the condition. Whey protein also contains many amino acids, one of which is arginine. This is an amino acid that may increase levels of growth hormone in the body.

The second supplement I would have to choose is high potency Multi-Vitamin. Now lets face it people, it is very hard to get all the vitamins needed for the body through a regular diet. That’s where Multivitamins come in. Multivitamins should be taken by everyone, but more so for
    bodybuilders. Weight training increases the body's need for many vitamins and minerals. Taking multivitamins ensures that a person does not become low in any of the essential vitamins or minerals. Vitamin deficiency symptoms can include muscle weakness and weakening of the immune system, muscle cramping and a general body fatigue. Each of these 29 essential vitamins
    and minerals does its own part to help the body recover, help in protein synthesis and keep the immune system in good working order. This is a must for any kind of bodybuilder.

The third supplement I would have to choose is Creatine. Anyone who reads these boards probably knows one thing or another about Creatine. Creatine can do a bodybuilder wonders in the gym. But it is not the magic supplement that will make you the huge bodybuilder that you want to become. Creatine will enhance your workout in many ways. First of all, it will provide you with more energy due to ATP regeneration. It also give your muscles a strength boost which can be very effective for packing on some hard muscle mass. If Creatine is taken properly and backed up with proper diet and a proper workout it will help you put on some mass. Some of this mass will be water, due to the water retention properties of the supplement. But it will make you
    look fuller overall. Because of this water retention property, the user of this supplement is required to intake higher levels of water to keep the body from becoming dehydrated.

These 3 supplements helped me in many ways with my bodybuilding progression. But that does not mean that they will provide the same benefits for every person out there. Everyone reacts differently to supplements. And you must remember that supplements are virtually useless if they are not combined with proper eating habits and hard work in the gym .

Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    creatine, whey, and mulitvitmains

ill keep a look out for my prize in the post.

TOPGUN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool My Top 3 Supplements:

1. Multivitamins (Animal Pak) -This is my insurance in making sure I get all my nutritional needs. Nowadays everyone's living in the fast lane, and if you are into bodybuilding, this is a must!

2.Whey Protein (Optimum Whey) - Everybody knows you need protein to grow muscle. Excellent supplement for those busy bodies who are always on the go. (work) Great protein ratio,bioavailability,and bang for a buck!

3.Glutamine (Prolab/Optimum/Ultimate) - Excellent for recovery. Definite must for recuperation and keeping my body in an anabolic state. With low carb/low calorie diet, this supplement will keep you afloat in the iron game!
    " Just keepin' it real! "