NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoStoppingMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How can I tell the difference between a productive workout and a "pump workout"?

How can I make sure that the workouts and routines I experiment with will actually give me results instead of pumps?

For example, for legs:

Front squat: 6 x 15, 20 sec rest between sets
    1 min rest
    Barbell hack squat: 3 x 12, triple drop sets, 1 min rest between sets
    1 min rest
    Lying leg curl: 3 x 12, triple drop sets, 1 min rest between sets

Microtrauma or pump?

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i have no idea how you can do that many sets of squats in a row.......but anyway.....you should just know in your head after a workout wether or not it was productive......i certainly do

your main concern should be....did you increase reps or weight since your last workout?.....the answer should be yes

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NoStoppingMe
    How can I make sure that the workouts and routines I experiment with will actually give me results instead of pumps?

For example, for legs:

1 min rest
    1 min rest

Microtrauma or pump?
    If you are doing bodybuilding reps and get a pump, that is a good thing. If you get a pump in a bodypart that goes away while you are still training it, you are doing too much.

Past a certain stage, you cannot expect strength gains each workout, and since the optimum workout for strength gains (esp. short term) is not the same thing as the optimum workout for size, you can use the pump as a gauge to judge your workouts.

edit:bodybuilding reps are 5-20 or so for practical purposes.
    Last edited by Defiant1; 09-20-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NoStoppingMe

For example, for legs:

1 min rest
    1 min rest

Microtrauma or pump?

My answer's gonna sound funny, but you know if you have made microtrauma if you grow, that's all. If there are microtrauma and sufficient calories, the homo sapiens muscles hypertrophy - and those of most other mamals I guess since these adaptations have existed for millions of years-.

Not more complicated than that.

So if you don't grow, the real question to ask is: why the hell didn't I make microtrauma, and how am I gonna manage to make microtrauma next time?