shane3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Disabled Bodybuilders Competition

I am looking into why the only disabled bodybuilding comps are wheelchair based. I am disabled but I dont use a wheelchair and would like to compete in the future. I cant train my legs so I obviously concentrate on my upper body.

Are there any others out there who are having the same thoughts??????

Would it be worth swapping ideas or am I flogging a dead horse?

Nothing against or anything meant towards other bodybuilders abled bodied or wheelchair based

Cheers

Shane

jackjj1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello, Shane!

I have the same thoughts as you! I too am disabled (not in a wheelchair). I've had a stroke, three back surgeries (they want to do a fourth, but I'm done with them cutting on me), and also have lupus. I do use a cane. I was a long time amateur bodybuilder till I had all these medical problems (I am 62-years-old). I recovered enough to be able to go to the gym five days a week and do what I can do! Obviously, I cannot do squats, but can use the leg extension ( low weight, high reps), a little sit-down leg press (high light reps), and calf work (sitting down).

I wish there was a Disabled Bodybuilders Association we could join to share idea, maybe compete, and develop new friendships with other disabled bodybuilders!

lease keep in touch, maybe together we can start something!

Jack Jorgensen

ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hmmmm... SMH.

I've seen amputees compete in open shows before.

Maybe you guys could spearhead this. Do any of your local gyms sponsor a show?
    I'm lucky to have MetroFlex here that does the Ronnie Coleman and the Branch Warren.
    Maybe find a gym that helps put on shows and set one up.
    I think it would be a huge success.

Props to you guys for continuing with your every day challenge.
    Member of the Global Bodybuilding Organization

2015/2016 National Qualifier Mens Physique
    Contest Prep Coach -- Dr. J. Parker Posing Coach -- Jen Cook, NPC Judge/IFBB Pro
    Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155564773

Real science > Bro science

mikecotayo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

disabled too

That would be awesome, and I'd be totally interested. I have CP from a car accident when I was a baby, and have always thought of competing. My left side is not as developed as my right.

Let me know if anything has changed since 2007.

Originally Posted by shane3 View Post
    I am looking into why the only disabled bodybuilding comps are wheelchair based. I am disabled but I dont use a wheelchair and would like to compete in the future. I cant train my legs so I obviously concentrate on my upper body.

Are there any others out there who are having the same thoughts??????

Would it be worth swapping ideas or am I flogging a dead horse?

Nothing against or anything meant towards other bodybuilders abled bodied or wheelchair based

Cheers

Shane
    -Mike Cotayo
    Changing my body
    Changing my life