SolidForce23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Transition From High School to College Football, And Position Changes

Hi guys-
    My name is Rob, I used to post here a bit but stopped for while, but I'd like to know your thoughts and opinions on something. I'm a sophomore football player who made the varsity team this year, which has been a goal for me over the years. I love the game to the point where just being on a team and playing is enough for me. Because of this, I fear the inability to play college ball. I'm 5'11", 180 right now, and my coach has me at Defensive Tackle. You're probably thinking to yourself "what the hell, this kids tiny.. i wish i was the one blocking him.." and to be honest that's what most people say. However my skills lie in my quickness and speed as opposed to be size and strength. I do well at the position in high school, but once I'm done with my four years here, what do you think will happen? If I were to be an outstanding high school DT in my senior year, do you think I could play college ball and just be switched to a different position.. maybe inside linebacker or even end or something? Or is my football career doomed if I stay at this position? I know I'm only in 10th grade and shouldn't be worrying about stuff like this but it's honestly been bugging me lately... thanks guys.
    Don't flinch; don't fall; hit the line hard.

username3409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) username3409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) username3409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    im assuming/hoping you're at an athletic 180 pounds (i.e. bf=<14)

in that case, i would play the sophmore year at DT (because as a sophmore, you don't have a whole lot of bargaining power, and you might get lowered to JV), then move to ILB most likely. you should definantly be planning to weigh in over 210 by senior year as well

yeah man. i've got about 12% body fat but I've got one of these HS coaches that beleives once a lineman always a lineman.. bad coaching decision IMO. He's got one of the predicted top 5 defensive players in Nassau County Conference 2 on Long Island (Anthony Vecchione, Senior Linebacker, MacArthur High School) playing Nose Tackle. These coaches have people playing the wrong positions.. does the bad coaching completely have me screwed out of playing college ball?

Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ha your in nassau county, im not to far away im in queens. And also your still a sophmore you got some growing to do. When I was a sophmore I was about the same size as you 5'11 180 or 185 something like that now im a senior 6'1 205 pounds. As of the beginning of the summer I was 6'0 215 pounds but I hit the gym shaved off some fat and got some realy good gains in my workouts. Now im quicker and more powerful because I weight trained all summer and shaved off some unwanted fat. Right now im playing in a league with 17,18, and 19 year old players for the lynvet Gladiators I dunno if you ever heard of them and im still 16 turning 17 in november. They put me at noise gaurd and 80 percent of the time im lined up with a lineman thats bigger than me, and I still knock them on their asses with no prob, if that dont work by the time the center even snaps the ball I already swimmed over them and in the back field. So even if you are under sized for D end by the time you hit college, just play with heart never quit keep going until the whistle blows, lift alot of weights, and always make yourself pisssed off before a play. I garantee the coach will see it.

Yeah I get you man. Thing is: I dont even play end now, so it'll be a new position.

I guess my real question is: Would a college recruit a guy from HS that they think would make a good end or linebacker even if he didn't really play it in High School?

username3409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) username3409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) username3409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SolidForce23
    I guess my real question is: Would a college recruit a guy from HS that they think would make a good end or linebacker even if he didn't really play it in High School?
    if you were damn great, then yeah, they'd give you a look. but you have to remember, there are two types of good players getting recruited. the first is a great player, who excels at his position and can be plugged right into the system. then there are projects, guys who are physically gifted, and very athletic, but would require some work before they could be plugged in.

if you didn't switch off the line, you'd be a project going into college, and that would hurt your odds...

Mossma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In all honesty, a big D1 probably wouldn't take you unless you were frickin unbelievable. Looking at our teams roster now..I go to a 40,000 person school with a fairly reputable program even though we are on the down and out latley, there are only about 11 players on our roster that are under 6 foot. Out of those 11 about 10 are db or wr, and one is a qb. I have no doubt you are quick but most of these guys are sprint champions and are on scholarship with the track team as well. I'm not saying it's impossible but you have to crank up your work ethic to make up for any faults in size you may have. You are still young and can still grow...but you may be like me. I was 6'5" by sophomore year in h.s. or so and haven't really grown much at all since. (An inch my first year of college...now 6'6") I have no doubt in my mind you could make a smaller program though...if it's for the love of the game then that is just fine. You've got lots of time to discover what you want though. When it comes to college don't base your decision on the football...base it on the academics and how happy you will be there.

First I'd like to thank you guys for the input, I appreciate it.

Mossma: I'm supposed to be about 6'1" when I'm done growing. Do you think thats acceptable for a defensive end or linebacker in college?

Another question I have is: To get recruited by a solid program as a linebacker or d end, would I first have to excel at D-tackle in high school, or do i just need an unbeleivable 40 time, an unbeleivable bench/squat/clean, and an ideal weight?

Another question I have is: To get recruited by a solid program as a linebacker or d end, would I first have to excel at D-tackle in high school, or do i just need an unbeleivable 40 time, an unbeleivable bench/squat/clean, and an ideal weight?
    i think you should probably forget about being a d-end. as for your question, i'm afraid your going to need to do both. you should really try to weigh as much as possible at 12% bf, and your numbers really need to be as high as you can get 'em.

your combine tests will carry alot more weight with you than other players, as you're getting recruited primarily on your athleticism...

pure_power has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It would seem logical to switch to a linebacker position if you are serious about playing at the next level. Just to give you an example, there was a defensive tackle that played at about 5-11 190 at my high school. Granted, he was quick and that was an obvious advantage on the defensive line at the high school level. I'm not sure what his overall tackle total was, but he had around 30 tackles for loss and 12 sacks his senior season. Needless to say, all his offers came from Division II schools at a linebacker position. Since you're a sophomore though, you should obviously be able to add some size (in terms of muscle mass and height). A position change though can be hard to do as well. Obviously your coaching staff would have to make the switch for you to do so. Simply said, add some lean/productive weight, do positional/agility work related to where you want to change to in terms of position, and hopefully let the rest take care of itself.
    What motivates you?

marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    when you guys practice do you have your starts practice against your second string people on your team?

If so maybe try playing on the second string team on defence for a few plays and show them you know what the hell your doing as a Dend/Linebacker?

Just a suggestion hehe

And I hate the once a linebacker always a linebacker ****. When I started playing football like 9 months ago I was a fatass at like 250 lbs, 2X%BF, and only 5'10 so I naturally ended up on the line, well now I'm 170 lbs 13% BF and 5'10 and I still play line because of the fact that the coaches have the idea that switching a person just isn't fair or some crap.

Retarded aye? ;/

marcFE, i know EXACTLY what you mean.. i used to be alot heavier but for some reason after i lost weight, they continued to play me at line.. and we have our starting D against our scout team O, and our scout D against our starting O, depending on if its a defensive or offensive day. But you see, if youre not a starter on offense, and you are a starter on defense, then they expect you to play where you start, and i start at defensive tackle. So basically whether its scout D or starting D I always have to be out there playing defensive tackle at 5'11" 180 lbs, and i never have an opportunity to try anything else. thanks for the suggestion though.. Oh well. I'll just keep working on my 40 time and my weight lifts, and eventually hopefully a college will see me and say "he would make a good linebacker"
    Last edited by SolidForce23; 09-19-2004 at 10:04 AM.

if you really care about playing college football, and you think you have a shot at D-1, then you need to step up. you have to either get switched to LB, or tell the coach to shove it up his ****ing ass and go to another team.

BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGPHILL1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know exactly what you mean. When I was a sophmore I was a ILB and TE. Then, Junior year I played DE and TE. Then Senior year I played guard and DT. I moved positions for the better of the team which was idiotic cuz we sucked. When Imoved on to college, I went from a LB to DE to DT to LT because I was told to gain weight. My suggestion to you is slowly gain your weight and make sure you keeping improving with your numbers. My suggestion is this: play DT this year, next year try to get to 195-200 pounds at under 15% bodyfat and play DE, then senior year try to get up to 215-220 and play OLB. The more athletic and well rounded you are the more interestig you will be to college coaches. By senior year I would aim at a 4.6 40, and 4.4 shuttle for the combines. You never know, when you get to college they might make you gain weight like me at stick you back at DT again.
    eat right
    train right
    Do It Right

well i dont know about D-1 man, i have alot of work to do if i want to be at that level, and it would probably require some use of pro hormones by the end of my junior year (which i would rather take than straight up steroids. maybe i'll try that ZMA stuff.. any of you have luck with it?). This year we have 4 senior linebackers making it tough for me to start there. However next year, when I'm a junior, we don't have as many good linebackers, so maybe I'll have my shot by then . Either way, I just want to show something crazy to those coaches at the combines, so i think training for that 4.6 40 is a long term goal that I'm really going to shoot for. Again, thanks for all the input guys.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well i dont know about D-1 man, i have alot of work to do if i want to be at that level, and it would probably require some use of pro hormones by the end of my junior year (which i would rather take than straight up steroids. maybe i'll try that ZMA stuff.. any of you have luck with it?). This year we have 4 senior linebackers making it tough for me to start there. However next year, when I'm a junior, we don't have as many good linebackers, so maybe I'll have my shot by then . Either way, I just want to show something crazy to those coaches at the combines, so i think training for that 4.6 40 is a long term goal that I'm really going to shoot for. Again, thanks for all the input guys.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Don't use prohormones if you are not educated on the subject. Especially since that includes messing with your endocrine system. If you don't know what ZMA is supposed to do, then you definitely are not prepared to be taking prohormones.

ZMA was first coined by Victor Conte (yes the THG guy). He noticed that many athletes had a deficiency in zinc. It is a rather strange supplement, in that it puts many into a deep sleep, which is what many people use it for, as a sleep aid. I take it myself, and I primarily use it as a way to enhance my sleep. If there is a small increase in GH being released, all the better, but I know it is no miracle worker. ZMA will not give you superhuman strength, or dramatically change your body composition. If the stuff was effective at dramatically increasing strength or body composition, you would think it would cost a ton. But usually you can get a months supply for $10.

I think you would benefit from getting your nutrition and training in check, and really focus on improving your strength and game. No supplement will benefit you greatly, its all about your desire to work hard and succeed.

thank you for the input silent, i appreciate it.

again, i'm not planning on taking anything like pro hormones any time soon. i do have much research to do on the matter before i consider taking them. However, i feel that my lifts just arent very good. They're not college football worthy lifts.. I can bench around 205 max and squat around 310 max while running about a 4.8 40. by the end of my senior year, i hope to have my bench at 300, my squat at around 450, and my 40 at around 4.6. Do you think all of this stuff is possible after two years of hard work and training?

user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anything is possible. If you are looking to increase strength, try checking out www.elitefts.com for westside programs. Also consider purchasing either of Christian Thibaudeau's books.

whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my brother is a senior 6'2" and 255. He is one fatass with bodyfat definately in the 20s. His bench is <~200 and he can barely do 1-2 pullups. I dont know his time but he dosnt look one bit atheletic to me. He plays both the offensive and defensive lines.

One day my friend told him that hes got a chance to play at some DIII schools and that really got to his head. Now he walks around the house thinking hes some badass. I really hate that

What do you guys think? Does he even hate a remote chance? His hs team blows, more than 60% of his team is below 6'.

footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i doubt it
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen."

footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) footballplaya90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh yeah and to the original author: Im from suffolk county, commack to be precise. I would switch to whatever position you think you can possibly play at the next level. DE's normally dont switch to LB in college, normally if a LB is 2 slow to play in college then they will move him to the line. Also as a sophmore keep lifting hard but the #1 thing colleges look at is speed. If you're running a 4.8 your sophmore year then you'll definately be around a 4.6 your senior year.
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen."

Hm.. so if youre a High School player and you run a 4.4 or a 4.5 40 then youre likely to get a college to find a place for you, so long as your bench, squat, and clean arent TERRIBLE? I know those 40 times are a long shot for someone like me but you know, maybe if i just bust my ass like crazy, I'll get lucky and find out that I have the genetics to build my speed that well..

Mossma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For a linebacker 6'1" will work. I believe we have two lb's here that are around that height. Our old mlb before he got drafted wasn't really that tall, he was quick, and the bench leader for the team. Believe he was a fairly sure tackle. Usually led Big 10 in tackles or was top three. It's all about instincts. Work hard with whatever position you are put in. Coaches can tell potential if you have it they'll know. Just stay healthy and lift/eat big and keep your speed up.

ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think your getting way too far ahead of yourself. Eat and lift like a madman and keep training and playing hard and then reconsider these things on your mind later on down the track. If your coaches see your improvements, ability and work ethic then good things can only happen with scouting and finding the position you belong in, be it now or later on.

I probably am a bit ahead of myself but like i said, this question was bothering me..

footballkid45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would it be so bad if u played offense. They could possibly move u to fullback or TE, somethin like that, but on D i would say linebacker or D end.