Thread: Rack Deadlifts

Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Rack Deadlifts

hey guys,

if in my routine, i have regular deadlifts as on of my heavy back exercise for 5x5 with the
    200 x 5
    200 x 4
    200 x 3
    200 x 3
    200 x 2

once i hit 5x5 for on every set i move up in weigth. now my question is i want to add rack deads, but i dont know what reps/sets to use since, i already went heavy on deads. i want this as a ligther exercise more for hypertrophy, what do you suggest?? i dont want ot use 8x3 becuase i might over wrok my back. so im just looking for suggestions.

btw. i do these on seperate days
    Really, thats what that does?

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't deadlift twice a week, unless you want one of them to be a speed day.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bump to Heisman

i wouldnt do the rack pulls light , if anything i would do the deads lighter alternating them with rack pulls each week

Week 1

deads 5 x 5

Week 2

Rack pulls 3 x 3
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tarantula will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i did them once and fell in love with them, they are an amaing exercise that i want to work with regularly with out losing the deads, so why wouldnt a higher rep range for more hypertophy be helpful.

btw can you explain to me of the benefit of doing them speed lift, and i would be intrested in that.
    Last edited by Tarantula; 09-17-2004 at 06:47 PM.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tarantula
    i did them once and fell in love with them, they are an amaing exercise that i want to work with regularly with out losing the deads, so why wouldnt a higher rep range for more hypertophy be helpful.

btw can you explain to me of the benefit of doing them speed lift, and i would be intrested in that.
    Speed would just be for strength; they won't help if you are only into bodybuilding.

Here's an idea. How about one week you do regular deadlifts, the next week you do rack deadlifts, and the following week you do extra range of motion deadlifts.

whats this extra range of motion deads?? sounds like you got something going there.

btw, so incorporating deads and rack pulls in same week, is impossible, not even without changing around volume, or something along those lines.

because see the problem is, i love rack deads first time i did em, there was this spark, no im j/k but i do like them alot, and i dont want to lose the benfifts of deads by doing them once in 2 weeks.

whats this extra range of motion deads?? sounds like you got something going there.

btw, so incorporating deads and rack pulls in same week, is impossible, not even without changing around volume, or something along those lines.

because see the problem is, i love rack deads first time i did em, there was this spark, no im j/k but i do like them alot, and i dont want to lose the benfifts of deads by doing them once in 2 weeks.
    Extra range of motion means you stand on some plates when you do the deadlifts.

You can probably do them on the same day and be okay. You could also probably do deadlifts one day and rack deadlifts a few days later and be fine for a couple of weeks. After doing that for two weeks then I would do the same thing the following week but make them speed deads for the regular and maybe do two heavy sets on the rack deadlifts. The speed deads should be done with around 60% of your max and done as explosively as possible. Doing this will help you recover with the benefit of doing speed reps (basically teaches you to explode). The negative part should be fast too, but in control.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Heisman
    Don't deadlift twice a week, unless you want one of them to be a speed day.
    ^^
    <->

yea thats what ive been talking about, on the dealifts and pulls there will be about 4 days in between them, so now rep ranges for the pulls would be nice, becuase i have no clue what i could do in bodybuilding terms with the reps/sets with pulls, just remember im doing 5x5 iwth regular deads.

but basiclly your also saying 2 weeks with both exercises, then 3rd week spped deads with 2 heavy sets of pulls, then another 2 weeks of both, and just repeat like that. im glad no one pulled out you wisdom tooth, lol ::looks around if anyone laughs,then bows head in dissapointment::

yea thats what ive been talking about, on the dealifts and pulls there will be about 4 days in between them, so now rep ranges for the pulls would be nice, becuase i have no clue what i could do in bodybuilding terms with the reps/sets with pulls, just remember im doing 5x5 iwth regular deads.

but basiclly your also saying 2 weeks with both exercises, then 3rd week spped deads with 2 heavy sets of pulls, then another 2 weeks of both, and just repeat like that. im glad no one pulled out you wisdom tooth, lol ::looks around if anyone laughs,then bows head in dissapointment::
    The reason I said don't deadlift twice in the same week originally is because deadlifts are very hard to recover from. You need to experiment a bit to figure out your limits.

I don't get the wisdom tooth joke.

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Heisman
    The reason I said don't deadlift twice in the same week originally is because deadlifts are very hard to recover from. You need to experiment a bit to figure out your limits.
    yep. I only deadlift once every 2-3 weeks. And the poundage is going up.
    Last edited by Rocky_Maivia; 09-17-2004 at 07:40 PM.
    neg reds on sight crew

so you lost me lol, so the 2 weeks with both exercise hen one week with sppeds and 2 sets of pulls, would be too much??

btw talking muscle gains here not strength, how much would i be giving up if i did 1 week pulls 1 week regular deads then start all over, as say doing deadlifts every week??

the joke ignore it, twas my attempt at saying something witty and funny, i fail miserably with that its all good tho, right?? lol

rocky

yea, im willing to do that, what do you do instead of deads with those 2-3 weeks you dont dead, btw how are the muscle gaines by doing it this way??

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Usually some other Glute/Ham/Lwr-back exercise like Good-Mornings or Stiff-Leg Deadlifts or high rep Rack Pulls.

As far as muscle gains, deadlifts never really built much size for me. I use them as a strength exercise.
    For Back size I use
    -Weighted Pull-ups
    -V-Bar Lat Pull-Downs
    -Barbell Rows
    -W-Bar Cable Rows (shoulder width hammer grip)

And for the Legs, nothing beats good ole' Squats.
    neg reds on sight crew

so you lost me lol, so the 2 weeks with both exercise hen one week with sppeds and 2 sets of pulls, would be too much??

btw talking muscle gains here not strength, how much would i be giving up if i did 1 week pulls 1 week regular deads then start all over, as say doing deadlifts every week??

the joke ignore it, twas my attempt at saying something witty and funny, i fail miserably with that its all good tho, right?? lol
    No, you can probably get away with deadlifting twice a week in the manner I described for a little while until you become more advanced. You can definitely do 1 week regular deads followed by pulls the next week and keep alternating.

yup thats what ill do, im going to keep alternating like that sounds good,
    but whats reps sets do i do for the pulls, i know deads 5x5 but pulls??

hey btw if deadlifts dont put on much size, then what makes the back so thick, mostly talking about hte erector spinae. i know about the upper back, i do rack chins, chins/pullups i alternate each week, bb rows, pulloever, with 1 heavy set of 12 of t-bar rows, ithink thats pretty good. hopefully with the deads and pulls i will put on some good thicckness in the back, of course i will eat, thats a silly question...