whoisdo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Workout for an athlete

I'm new to this forum, but I've been on plenty of forums in my life and even run my own. That's beside the point, so here's what I'm needing help with.

You guys are apparently the best of the best, and I've been trying to gain weight from just lifting and not taking supplements because I don't believe in taking them. I'm a basketball player, and I was recruited by a bunch of D-III universities.. but I'm looking at transferring to a D-I program while I'm doing a community college this year because I didn't like the program I was at.

Most, if not all, of the coaches from big programs that talked to me told me that I didn't have the physical part of being a D-I athlete since I'm only 6'3, 169 pounds. I have a 33+ vertical, and I'm one of the better conditioned athletes out there. Basically, I need a workout that's going to help me add roughly 10-15 pounds, atleast, in the coming months and still allow me to keep my jumping ability. Can anyone help me?

-- A desperate athlete.

He's just a little guy... Chevy0364's Avatar
    Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chevy0364 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, if you arent on the supplement train then you are gunna have to do some hardcore eating. Gaining weight is pretty simple...more calories in than used. The tricky part is not putting on fat, and not losing that vertical. Do a search for 'clean bulk' and you'll get some good stuff. Its all about increasing your cals the smart way. BoyscouT added this list which is pretty awesome.

Proteins:

* Egg Whites
    * Chicken
    * Turkey
    * Beef
    * Pork
    * Tuna / Salmon / Seafood
    * Tofu
    * Whey protein powder
    * Casein protein powder
    * Essentially most any other source of protein

Complex Carbohydrates:

* Oats (ALL KINDS), oat bran, oat bran cereal (I.E. CHEERIOS)
    * Potatoes (ALL KINDS)
    * Rice (ALL KINDS)
    * Pasta (ALL KINDS)
    * Bread (ALL KINDS EXCEPT WHITE BREAD)
    * Beans (ALL KINDS)

Simple Carbohydrates:

* Maltodextrin (FOR DURING/POST WORKOUT)
    * Dextrose (FOR DURING/POST WORKOUT)

Other Carbohydrates (FIBROUS):

* Fruits
    * Vegetables

Fats: DO NOT FEAR FAT!

* Egg Yolks (EAT YOUR YOLKS! DIETARY CHOLESTEROL IS GOOD FOR YOU!)
    * Nuts (ALL KINDS)
    * Peanut/Almond butter
    * Avocados
    * Fatty Fish
    * Fish oil
    * Olive oil

Dairy:

* Milk (ALL KINDS)
    * Cottage Cheese (LOW-FAT or FAT FREE)
    * Yogurt (LOW-FAT or FAT FREE)

Stay away from:

* Empty calories (I.E. NON-DIET SODA)
    * High fructose corn syrup aka HFCS (CHECK INGREDIENT PANEL)
    * Synthetic trans fats
    You are definitely going to want to work out every day, or every other day. If you are new to lifting i'd suggest Riptoe's Starting Strength. You'll see good results from that. Post workout you are going to want low fat/high complex carbs/high protein to help you out with size. Most PWO shakes have about 25g of protein so if you want to stick to just protein from food, id suggest something like eggs or meat. Good luck.

Looks like I'm going to have to get real serious about putting this weight on and turning it into muscle. I appreciate that post, Chevy. Any other posts are welcome as well, and if I get enough.. maybe I'll link you all to a dunk or two. :P

bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bixtonim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you should squat
    "i aint sold my soul to the devil,i brought his from him"-jadakiss

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Try something like this

Mon-
    Squats
    Bench
    Bent Rows
    Decline Situps

Wed-
    Power Clean
    Dips
    Seated Rows
    Hanging Leg Raises

Fri-
    Deadlifts
    Military Press
    Pullups
    Crunches

About 3-5 sets (not including warmups) for each exercise, then you can add in some accesory work (1-2 sets) for bis, tris, hamstrings, calves and whatnot...

Eat a lot probably, around 3500+ cals a day...

Why don't you beleive in supplements? Get some creatine.

I don't believe in supplements because they hurt your body in the long run, and everybody can tell me they do so much for you.. but research genetic max, and then come talk to me.
    http://boards.whoisdougieveney.com

RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RugbyIsBest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't take any supplements besides whey protein. I have actually noticed a difference since I have started taking it. I mostly use it as a post workout drink but sometimes I use it in shakes throughout the day. I really don't think that it has any negative side effects if used in moderation.

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by whoisdo View Post
    I don't believe in supplements because they hurt your body in the long run, and everybody can tell me they do so much for you.. but research genetic max, and then come talk to me.
    That is silly, research creatine, realize it is proven safe and effective.

Also you sshould realize that at the D1 level most of your competition is on "teh juice" or has used in the past, the least you can do is try to level the playing feild a little by supplementing with creatine.

Creatine is in steak and chicken, are you going to not eat those?
    Last edited by Carmen0857; 06-23-2007 at 04:51 PM.

NorCalRox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NorCalRox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NorCalRox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Westside For Skinny Bastards is a program for athletes looking to put on weight. Google it.

For the guy who said Creatine has nothing bad about it, you forgot to mention that it's been linked to an increase in heart disease in people who take it.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For the guy who said Creatine has nothing bad about it, you forgot to mention that it's been linked to an increase in heart disease in people who take it.
    Proof ?

bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000) bthom65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i too would like to see this
    train insane or stay the same
    -aj simms

Alright, you guys have talked me into it.. I did some research of my own instead of relying on other people, and I ordered myself some creatine monohydrate in 120 capsules. 5 capsules apparently equals 3.5 grams of creatine, so how exactly should I be taking this stuff? Before, During, or Post workout? A little help would be appreciated.

wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are no proven harmful effects from creatine...you should definitely take it. it will help you with your recovery time and DOMS, and help with strength gains

edit: what brand did you get it sounds similar to green bulge from controlled labs...good stuff and it should have instructions on the bottle but usually 45-60min preworkout

I actually bought the GNC Pro Performance Creatine Monohydrate. 3.5 grams per serving ( 5 pills ). The only thing I see on the bottle is a note saying take 5 pills after my workout with 12 oz of water. Just do that? Not sure if there is a better technique.

Anyone else?

dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500) dalywm is not very helpful. (-500)
    about the creatine, i'd recommend taking a serving of creatine in the morning as well as post workout. just make sure you have a lot of water in your system at all times and dont exceed 10g of creatine within a 24 hour period or you'll probably cramp.
    Best lifts
    Bench 300
    Squat 430
    Clean 262