Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lower abs

SteveB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool lower abs

hey guys,

i was wondering how you all work your lower abs.... I tried doing those leg raises, but they do nothing to me... I cant even feel it working.... maybe I am doing it wrong.

So yeah if you guys could tell me what you do to work work lower abs that would we cool..

Cheers
    "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it"

Holyfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for lower abs try normal sit ups. Just put your feet under the couch and do about 4 sets of 30

DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lightbulb

In response to the last guy, when you are doing sit ups your psoas muscles are the primary muscles being engaged and not your abdominal exercises. So sit-ups are a pretty useless exercise if you want to get your abs in shape. Instead, use crunches, because they directly work your abs. Sit-ups can also damage your lower back over time.

for lower abs, use lying leg raises, they do work. Make sure your hands are palm down under your buttocks and your legs are kept off the floor. When you raise them make sure you do it so that you can feel your lower abs straining and not your psoas, after a while you'll definitly feel it. All I do for lower abs is 2 sets of 25 lying leg raises a couple of times a week it seems ok, you may want to do more.
    Life is what you make of it, nothing more and nothing less.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)

Arrow

Hmmmmm, here we go again.

Lower abs is a term that also needs to be better defined. Are we talking just about the lower section of the rectus abdominus, that is, the bit below the navel, or are we including the whole lower part of the obliques as well?

Funny thing is, last time I looked, the abs weren't connected to the legs at all, but the psoas muscles were. So, you can make up your own conclusions about that and leg raises.

The lower abs, in the common term, rotate the pelvic bone backwards. So, does that give you an idea about how to work them? The rectus abdominus can be thought of as a group pf muscles which just happen to, usually, work together. They can be contracted individually, that is, each part of the six pack, and to see someone rolling a coin along the abs by individual contraction is pretty amazing!

Anyway, crunches will work all the rectus, but the top bits will contract preferentially. The lower abs need to be worked by controlling the rolling of the pelvis.

Lie on your back with your knees bent, and flatten your back against the floor - that is a pelvic tilt. Now, try and maintain that position whilst you llift your legs off the floor. Can you do it?

Now, try and straighten your legs a little..how far can you go and still hold your pelvic tilt position? Now pull your legs back towards your chest and really crunch them abs up. Now starighten the legs again as far as you can go and still maintain your lpelvic tilt...

And so the cycle goes. If you are good, you can bring transverse abdominus into the same exercise or routine!

A good source of information is the books and tapes by Paul Chek in the USA.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Holyfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sit ups worked for me. I gotta 8 pack.

DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DGNR8 4:69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    probly messing up ure back too
    Life is what you make of it, nothing more and nothing less.

Edutk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Situps get a bad rap. I agree with Holyfield situps are great for the lower abs.

peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great point Fresch.
    And remember, just like other muscle groups, not everyone can have muscle mag abs. Don't think you're not improving, if your abs are not developing that way.
    Last edited by peterb; 11-29-2001 at 01:26 PM.

soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) soundbomb_85 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't reverse crunches target the lower abs pretty well?
    You'll never know what you can do until you do more than you can

psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    yeah they do

at my gym theres this weighted reverse crunch machine. it works great. a padded bar goes over your thigh and you preform reverse crunches. i find it builds the mass of the lower abs really well.

Latts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The bicycle's work pretty good. Ya know lying on ur back moving y9ou legs like ur peddlin a bike. Also try lying flat on a bench and doing reverse crunchs but extending your legs below paralell.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."-Albert Einstein

"Your ignorance cramps my conversation." -Anthony Hope

joehagyHH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    reverse crunches, hanging leg raises, etc. be creative.

jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jreynolds_4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hang onto the top of a decline bench with your hands wrapped around the foot and/or thigh holders. (Obviously your feet will be down where your head usually is if you were working chest on the decline bench). While holding on, curl your legs and pelvis up doing pretty much a reverse crunch.

I'm sore right at the naval and below for 2-3 days after doing 3 sets of these to failure.
    "These are the times in our lives that we can die and still survive"

hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hooty mcboobs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Muscles are meant to be worked together, not isolated. So when you do a compound movement like sit-ups which involve the abs, osas, and hip flexors, the abs get stimulated more. Its always best to hit your muscles from many different angles to recruit the most fibers, so doing sit-ups, crunches and hanging knee raises would be a very good work-out.

"Muscles are designed to function best in tandem with other muscles, and with the abs, that means bringing in the hip flexors."

That's from Ironmag, Jan. 2002.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)

Angry

Originally posted by hooty mcboobs
    Muscles are meant to be worked together, not isolated. So when you do a compound movement like sit-ups which involve the abs, osas, and hip flexors, the abs get stimulated more. Its always best to hit your muscles from many different angles to recruit the most fibers, so doing sit-ups, crunches and hanging knee raises would be a very good work-out.

"Muscles are designed to function best in tandem with other muscles, and with the abs, that means bringing in the hip flexors."

That's from Ironmag, Jan. 2002.
    Sorry, but in this case, the abs should be able to work independently of the psoas. Sit-ups and other such exercises lead to a situation where they cannot be activated in isolation from one another. Maximal contraction can occur without any hip flexor activity, and so it should be able to! The abs need to be able to contract to balance hip EXTENSION forces, where no active psoas activity is involved. Indeed, the abs are paired with the gluteal muscles. So, how does your theory fit in there?

Who made that quote in Ironmag??
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

c_punk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by hooty mcboobs
    Muscles are meant to be worked together, not isolated.
    yeah, that's the foundation of bodybuilding.........
    150lb weaklings beware, here comes the 170lb punk!

cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000)
    its funny how people say not to do sit-ups but when i do them i get a serious burn in my lower abs and MY LOWER ABS ARE SORE AS HELL the next day

Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by Fresch
    Hmmmmm, here we go again.

Lower abs is a term that also needs to be better defined. Are we talking just about the lower section of the rectus abdominus, that is, the bit below the navel, or are we including the whole lower part of the obliques as well?

Why the heck do you try to sound all smart? I mean if someone is asking how other people work out their lower abs, what do most people think of when this is said. Yea thats right, just their abs. I think if he also meant the obliques too he would have specified it. Come on now, don't be stupid.

Angry

"Why the heck do you try to sound all smart? I mean if someone is asking how other people work out their lower abs, what do most people think of when this is said. Yea thats right, just their abs. I think if he also meant the obliques too he would have specified it. Come on now, don't be stupid." Quote from above.

Well, unfortunately that is not the case. The obliques are often included in the term "lower abs"..it depends on who's talking as to whether they mean them or not! As I am not a mind reader, I don't know! So, I was mentioning that the matter needs to be better defined.

As you said, most people think it, but not all people!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

darkpassenger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Try holding your thighs at a 90 degree angle from your torso and your lower legs parallel to the floor. Try doing your crunches 2 seconds up, hold and squeeze for 2 secs, then lower for three. IF YOU KEEP YOUR KNEES TOGETHER YOU WILL FEEL IT IN YOUR LOWER ABS (as well as the rest). This works for everyone i have talked to. Try it for yourself, hold your knees apart for a set then together for a set and you will see the diference.

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    - Hanging leg raises
    - Reverse crunches

Use weight if you can.

Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wegzyzz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    anybody do V-Ups?
    kinda like a situp and a legraise in one but it works out upper&lower abs at the same time. Takes time to get used to and is quite effective even with little resistance added. (ex. between 5-15lbs)

Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reptile is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Holy crap! This thread has been resurrected from 2001!!!
    Strive for Pain and Intensity in the Gym!!!

gethotabs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This post is surely old but my suggestion are for those who are reading this with the same dilemma . I have some good lower abs exercises you could try. I would suggest you perform the curls, crunches, bicycles, knee to chest stretch exercises. Start with 5-10 repetitions for each exercise and perform these 2-3 times per week. If you do this together with a low fat diet you'll see the abs that you wanted.

mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mja33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    hey guys,

i was wondering how you all work your lower abs.... I tried doing those leg raises, but they do nothing to me... I cant even feel it working.... maybe I am doing it wrong.

So yeah if you guys could tell me what you do to work work lower abs that would we cool..

Cheers
    Leg raises, decline situps/crunches with either a medicine ball....straight up planks work all abs the best.....bicycle crunches [not really what there called]

StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10) StevenOfSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hanging leg raises with a DB, Hanging leg raises at a pie/4 radian(for you math bros), and weighted crunches.
    Great eloquence:
    "You know I am not a quitter. Its like a dog, you know you can kick a dog so long and it will do two things. Its either going to roll over and die or its going to bite you and attack you and I am the kind of person who is the type of a dog who would bite back. I wasn't gonna roll over and quit."
    -Mike Katz

Bench: 240x1
    Squat: 255x1
    Deadlift: 345x1

DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkBoss123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    These will get you your beloved six packs.
    Bicycle Crunches, Situps, (all the way till your stomach touches your legs) and Crunches.
    Remember even if you do these exercises you WILL NOT get a six pack!

UNLESS YOU REDUCE YOUR BODYFAT PERCENTAGE BY DOING CARDIO. IN ORDER TO ACHEIVE A SIX PACK YOU MUST HAVE LITTLE BODYFAT AROUND YOUR STOMACH. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BURN STOMACH FAT BY DOING AB EXERCISES. IF YOU ARE BULKING IT WILL BE EXTREMELY HARD FOR YOU TO ACHEIVE A SIX PACK SINCE YOU ARE EATING A LOT!

HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeGirA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Diet!!!

Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000) Megafast13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    To target your abs you definitely want to do crunches.

Sit Ups are great though if you are doing them on a soft surface. Gym Floors, or even carpet can be very bad on the back. And others will complain about where you place your hands when doing them...Crossed on the Chest, Behind head, out forward, etc.

For my abs I like to do Leg lifts while holding a bar above my head. And I also like to do Crunch Machines at my gym. Just mess around with different excercises and see what gives you the most burn.

nyerik08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I'm having a little trouble with my lower abs too while the top is looking great. Anybody have any helpful videos or pictorials that can looked at?