hoosierjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat advice please!

Here is the problem (my background info is below for those who care):

I squat regularly but I am an "accordian" squater. While I keep my back 'straight' it is not very vertical at all. My elbows face straight back and I bend pretty far forward at the waist.

Can anyone offer some SPECIFIC suggestions/ideas/programs that can help me over come this?

I am looking to start from scratch, be patient (hopefully) and try and retrain my muscle memory to do things the RIGHT way.

I have read that perhaps (part of) the problem is a lack of flexibility in my hips and/or calves? Could that be contributing?

I really try to make my first motion 'butt down', it just seems that as soon as I start down I begin to bend at the waist and my shoulders come foward (so to speak). How can I correct this? What should I be focusing on?

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated! If you can help me with this then maybe we can work on improving my bench! ha ha

About me: I am a mid thirties male. I have not missed more then a week of working out in more then 8 years. I lift primarily to stay in shape for other athletic pursuits and because I enjoy it. I have never been injured lifting and have no history of knee or back problems. I am a classic ectomorph/hard gainer, Tall (about 6'3") with long legs.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LOL, your shoulders are supposed to move forward when you squat, just not excessively.

Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    2 words: box squats!

Squat advice

Yes, I know that the shoulders should come forward but as I said, I am usually bent forward pretty far.

Brinn: Can you elaborate on the box squat suggestion?

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hoosierjb
    Yes, I know that the shoulders should come forward but as I said, I am usually bent forward pretty far.

Brinn: Can you elaborate on the box squat suggestion?
    Where do you place the bar... high on your traps or actually on the upper/middle portion of your back?

Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls9.htm

I probably should have linked this in my first post.

More info

Thanks Brinn.

Heisman, I usually have the bar fairly high up on my traps.

bioalteration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is a lot of back involved in squat but you don't won't to be deadlifting the weight. As long as your back is erect(not hunching over), having your shoulders come forward is totally normal. Maybe try some squats without weight till you get more flexible and get the form down.