View Poll Results: Is it harder for tall people to squat/bench?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

132 79.52%
  • No

34 20.48%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grezlar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it harder for tall people to bench/squat?

What's your opinion?

wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I see no reason about why it wouldnt... i mean they have to lift the weights further than shorter people thus requiring more energy

Registered User Supertransplant's Avatar
    Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's bull****.

Plenty of times people have advised me not to squat cuz of BLABLABLA

It's all about equally taking care of your entire body to make sure every stabilizer comes into play when they should. Arnold was a tall mother****er.

Taller people will not be as big as shorter guys if they're benching the same DUH...we have longer muscles....... so there's always gonna be a rivalry..

But I dont get pissed cuz I cant lift as much ...I keep remembering that even thoughIll have to do a little more work.....Ill look soo much better cuz im tall.
    just lift hard, eat hard.. rest right... **** doesnt happen over night..

wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'm not saying they cant do heavy weights i'm just saying its common physics that it takes a tall person more energy to squat than a shorter person

Work = Weight * distance lifted

Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    no one says we have to lift SO MUCH MORE weight...

and other than that..... well.... then you're just stealing credit from short people when you say its easier for them...

its probably not a significant amount i mean if you can deadlift 300lbs the extra 2inches a taller person lifts it up really isnt going to make a difference

and if people were all proportional taller people would naturally be barely stronger than a shorter person to balance out this extra 'work' thus making it seem as there is no difference

thats not true wisdom.

You see it's not JUST 2 inches.... It's the fact that all the muscles at work have to work harder altogether...for two inches..... for ever rep....for every set....it adds up..

So.... the answer is...don't get sucked into the ego busting myth that you have to bench as much as the shorter guy... just suck it up... dont hurt yourself.

StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tall people have more muscle (longer muscles) which is why many records are set by tall lifters. In fact just about all the records are set by tall lifters (as in most weight lifted NOT as in % of their bodyweight). Strongman; Olympic lifting; Powerlifting; its the same for all of them.

TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes it is harder.

`rawr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) `rawr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) `rawr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) `rawr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) `rawr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) `rawr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I dont think they actual height matters as much as the limb length. e.i. shorter arms usually have a a better bench but worse dead, and vice versa.

i dont care how much anyone can bench... i'm pretty bad at benching i would probably max 170 on a good day. its all about looking good, which luckily strength just happens to come with that

Originally Posted by `rawr View Post
    I dont think they actual height matters as much as the limb length. e.i. shorter arms usually have a a better bench but worse dead, and vice versa.
    true but MOST of the time limb length is determined by height exept for the genetic freaks out there haha j/k

in any case it really doesnt matter because i would never bring something like this up in a convo, also i would never argue with someone about how much i can lift and whatever its not important

its all a head game. If you only worry about yourself...and go to the gym when no one is there... im sure you wouldnt stack as much weight as you would when other people are there....

what can you do.... us tall people have to save our reputation. It's tough sometimes to have short people in our face benching more but looking similarly muscular..

hey super did you miss the thread earlier today about some guy calling you out on your lifts? i'm pretty sure the thread was deleted. he also said your bf was bull too i think his name was Alf something

He can call me out all he wants. And he can call out my bodyfat too.

Who cares...I know it's true. And anyone who respects people who work hard for their body and are only here to discuss things in kind matter would not try to hurt someone...for sheer fun..

I know my lifts are all true. And Ive been measured...more than once at lower then 6%. The lowest i had was 3%. I havent been measured in two months...so I don't know where I am now.

But what's it matter to everyone anyway. What matters is what I look like....right?..

ya i thought your lifts were unreasonable for your size... i told him they werent but whatever

how do you measure your bf?

-B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -B- has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    while it may be a little easier for shorter guys. When a short guy has a big lift; i hate it when people say its because hes short. No matter what, short or tall, you have to work hard.

HOwever, a tall big guy will always be more impressive then a short big guy.

Originally Posted by wisdommaster1 View Post
    ya i thought your lifts were unreasonable for your size... i told him they werent but whatever

how do you measure your bf?
    Caliper tests by different buddy trainers.

What's wrong with me Maxing 200 bench, maxing 300squat, ....

I dont get it.. I've been training hard. I'm paying for it...my shoulders are killing me ...so are my knees..

whats it matter anyway? I'm nowhere NEAR what most of my buddies bench.. not even close to what most of you guys bench...

All you guys can do is bitch about bodyfat.

I Don't care about bodyfat. I have it because i've trained since I was 9 in kickboxing.... I wish I could just grow fast and cut fast like you guys.

I posted my diet in the nutrition section http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3275481 if you wanna see it so it's not like I'm not eating right. Its just hard for me to pack on ....but I'm working through it..

so whats up

Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    especially squatting all the way down is way harder if you're tall, long legs
    6'4
    285 lbs
    14 % BF
    Bench: 350 lbs x 10
    Squat :440 lbs x 10 (to parralel)
    340 lbs x 6 (Ass-to-grass)
    Deadlift:500 lbs x 6

-Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Giants do not exist.

JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know for a facttttttttttt its harder for tall people to bench, idk about squating, but me being 6'2...i know kids im way stronger than that put up more than me due to the fact they have a stockier build.....i think it has more to do with arm lenght than anything thoug...personally my reach is extremelly long, so that contributes negativly to my bench, so yes, for sure...

-Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -Caucasian- has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I always see ultra lanky guys with ultra skinny arms benching twice what i bench. Maybe their arms are the same size as mine, but since they are 7"10" their arms look unproportional to their height.

But while he lifts more at that skinniness. He has more potential.

FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000)
    obviously. they gotta do more work in moving the weight that extra distance.

Tomskiii has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tomskiii has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In my limited experience as someone reasonably tall i find they/we have stronger legs naturally as we generally have to carry more weight so can squat alittle more in the out, but due to a longer back to try and keep aligned and such it basically cancels out. Cant see why it would make a diff in bench press so long as your not 7ft and got a 20inch chest.

Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fluids will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its quite obvious because they have longer arms/legs. Much more area to cover...
    INTENSITY
    Fueling-Body-Mind-Spirit

"The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

_Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) _Mazza_ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sounds like excuses to me, someone with longer arms also has longer muscles to compensate. Short guys like me don't go round saying it's harder for us because we have shorter muscles.

Originally Posted by _Mazza_ View Post
    Short guys like me don't go round saying it's harder for us because we have shorter muscles.
    I always say that.

PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LOL. unless you're totally out of proportion, then it should be the same
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face

SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes and yes. On the bench, it's just a longer ROM. But on the squat, a long torso can make it easier to round your back with the traditional back squat. That's why I switched to front squats. Long torsos also present big problems on the traditional DL, which is why I switched to trap bar DL. These exercises are more suited for lanky, skinny MFers like myself.
    My tribe: www.Rich20Something.com/join

Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gunnerforever will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It is harder yes. Basic lever physics and moments.

Moment = force x distance from perpendicular pivot.

Distance is greater for 6'3 person than 5'8 person. 20k has a greater moment for a tall person so Is harder to lift.