Thread: Protein Intake

dragonator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Intake

I currently weigh 168 lbs and each day I aim to get 160 grams of protein (which is a struggle seeing as I limit myself to one 30 gram protein shake each day). Just recently I read an article that said if I increase the amount of protein I have each day to 340 grams Ill have the potential to double my rate of gaining muscle and increase my metabolism. This made me very excited and I am willing to do it.

But my question is... HOW THE HELL DO I EAT 340 GRAMS OF PROTEIN IN ONE DAY??? If I ate the maximum absorbable amount of protein at the maximum timing where I can absorb it ( 40 grams every 2 hours) I would only get 240 grams of protein ( assuming one day has 12 hours). So how the hell am I supposed to absorb all this protein every day!??!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by dragonator; 09-06-2004 at 07:10 PM.

trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What you're doing is fine. Eat your bodyweight in protein, that should be enough. Eat 1.5 times your bodyweight if you're worried, just to be sure There is much debate over this, but I believe anything over 1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight is a waste, unless your metabolism is like a nuclear reactor, or you're taking steroids. Carbohydrates are going to make the biggest difference in your goals. Eat more of those.

What article did you read? There are waaay more variables than the amount of protein you eat if you want to build muscle.

dragonator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It was a bodybuilding.com article by David Young called "Turbo charge your metabolism with extra protien". I guess it only called for 255 grams/ day for my body weight oops. Oh well 255 is still alot. I think I am going to try it. I just need to figure out a way to sqweeze in that extra 15 grams.

Brass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I dont want to put anyone down or step on any toes. But for max gains take in 2 yes 2 grams of protein per pound. Trust me I have seen it and trained with and talked with enough succesfull people to know this. You always want to be in a positive nitrogen balance(enough protein). I would rather have a little to much for my muscle to grow than not enough, besides the excess would just be used as energy anyway......some will argue this point to death but the simple truth is if you want to gain muscle then slam the protein.

gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Exclamation

can someone answer the question though?...how in the hell can he eat that much protein cause i'm having problems too. i don't want to consume more than one protein shake a day and thats only about 25 grams (ON whey). i drink milk b4 i go to bed everynight, and i try to eat cheese a lot....what foods will give you the best protein for the cost...i know fish is a good source but its sooo darn expensive...and tuna, im just worried about the mercury contents. its not safe to eat that crap everyday. please PLEASE PLEASE i need some help because i'm not getting anywhere near the amount of protein i should be getting.

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    a can of tuna is 45~ish grams
    2 chicken breasts - 64g
    eggs - 6g each
    almonds are LOADED
    skim milk has 8~g per cup..

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gotilgone
    can someone answer the question though?
    Write these down... lol

Chicken
    Eggs and egg whites
    Tuna
    Fish
    Lean beef, ground and steaks
    Skim milk
    Chili
    Turkey
    Cottage Cheese
    Protein powders (not just whey either)
    Fat people (keep these to a minimum as they are high in fat content)

There ya go! It is really not that hard to get enough protein in a day. I think that most of the people that say the grew the best on a ton of protein are not eating enough normally, and when they up their protein intakes they are all of a sudden getting enough calories to grow. It wouldn't matter if those calories were protein or good clean carbs. Just my opinion.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

Alright its easy a make take a few weeks to build up to this but here is a sample.

6am 1cup oatmeal 10g

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Brass
    Alright its easy a make take a few weeks to build up to this but here is a sample.

6am 1cup oatmeal 10g

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

sorry hit return anyways....

6am 1cup oatmeal = 10g P
    4 egg whites = 12g P
    2 scoops whey powder = 50g P

9am 2 tuna sanwiches = 45g P
    (1can tuna)

12pm 10 oz beef = 55g P
    1 cup veggies

3pm 2scoops whey protein = 50g
    1tbl spoon natural peanut butter = 8g P

6pm 10z chicken =55g p
    1 yam = 3g p
    1 oz cheese = 7g P

9pm 10 oz fish = 50g
    veggies

11pm 2 scoops whey protein = 50g

thats about 400g P per day...... come on eat, and eat some more it aint always easy. I get hungry every 2-3 hrs. and everyone ive told or set up a diet does the same.....

You should use egg or casein protein before bed as it will last a great deal longer in the system. Or, drink a glass of milk and eat a bowl of cottage cheese.

-Nietzsche

gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotilgone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    6am 1cup oatmeal = 10g P
    4 egg whites = 12g P
    (1can tuna)
    2pm 10 oz beef = 55g P
    1 cup veggies
    6pm 10z chicken =55g p
    1 yam = 3g p
    1 oz cheese = 7g P
    9pm 10 oz fish = 50g
    veggies
    thats about 400g P per day...... come on eat, and eat some more it aint always easy. I get hungry every 2-3 hrs. and everyone ive told or set up a diet does the same.....
    Thats like 6 scoops of protein in a day...not only would that cost me but i just don't like the idea of consuming that much powder in a day.

Thats like 6 scoops of protein in a day...not only would that cost me but i just don't like the idea of consuming that much powder in a day.

First off whey protein is about 3-5 dollars a pound I buy in bulk 25lb - 50lb...
    second 3 shakes a day aint nothing to worry about.......
    third the question was how can I slam that much protein....thats how...I dont know anyone thats big over 200lbs and muscular that dont take in at least 2 if not 4 shakes a day..... how the heck you going to slam 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight in all solids......I cant and dont want to....

I even wake up in the middle of the night and drink a shake...

First off whey protein is about 3-5 dollars a pound I buy in bulk 25lb - 50lb...
    second 3 shakes a day aint nothing to worry about.......
    third the question was how can I slam that much protein....thats how...I dont know anyone thats big over 200lbs and muscular that dont take in at least 2 if not 4 shakes a day..... how the heck you going to slam 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight in all solids......I cant and dont want to....

I even wake up in the middle of the night and drink a shake...
    Hi, my name is Melkor. I'm almost 230 lbs and I only use whey pwo. Now you know someone big and muscular that doesn't drink whey all day. Whey is digested so fast that it's out of your system within the hour, why not use a longer lasting protein like chicken or milk.

-Nietzsche

never off the horse.. antbrdwar's Avatar
    antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whey is optimum post-workout.. thats the only time I use it. If I want protein I down a can of tuna, eat a chicken breast I pre-cooked or make some eggs. I once thought eating 200g of protein would be a problem but daily I eat 225g like its nothing, and its all eating stuff I like. I don't have to force it down my throat like the first time I had cottage cheese. Mind you now I eat cottage cheese like its going out of style. Tuna, Chicken, Shrimp, Fish, Eggs, Dairy, Soy, Beef, Deli Meats if you can stand all the sodium.. theres so many options, just gotta broaden your horizons and not think about what someone thinks when they see you eating a "weird" meal. Hell I eat my post-post workout meal at college every morning, and it consists of Tuna, Brown Rice and Yams. Looks nasty but it gets the job done.
    They fall in line................One at a time................Ready to play

Originally Posted by Melkor
    Hi, my name is Melkor. I'm almost 230 lbs and I only use whey pwo. Now you know someone big and muscular that doesn't drink whey all day. Whey is digested so fast that it's out of your system within the hour, why not use a longer lasting protein like chicken or milk.

I said they take in 2-4 shakes a day, didnt say what was in them...I used whey for my example for cost factor (wpc) is cheap.... I use it post work out and in the morning with eggs my self... the question was how to slam that much protein.... for me thats 3-4 shakes a day...some shakes just might be a can of tuna and a cup of oats in water... taste like crap but its easir to drink 200g and another 200g from solids a day than get all 400g of your protein from sitting down and eating whole foods........

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    some shakes just might be a can of tuna and a cup of oats in water...

typo?
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

HyacinthHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by trem0lo
    I believe anything over 1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight is a waste, unless your metabolism is like a nuclear reactor, or you're taking steroids.
    I was on steroids and even then I could not eat two grams per pound of bodyweight in protein and use all of it. By the time I got up to 1.6 to 1.7 grams per pound, I was already farting like crazy.

One Breath has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

6am 1cup oatmeal = 10g P
    4 egg whites = 12g P

(1can tuna)

12pm 10 oz beef = 55g P
    1 cup veggies

6pm 10z chicken =55g p
    1 yam = 3g p
    1 oz cheese = 7g P

9pm 10 oz fish = 50g
    veggies

This doesnt have anything to do with nutrition but i see a big problem in the fact you only get like 7 hours sleep.

IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    7 hours of sleep a night is plenty.

oaktree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    umm sorry to correct you iron mike but 7 hours is not enough, maybe if you dont workout and dont exercise alot you could get away with 7 hours. But someone trying to gain muscle needs ATLEAST 8hours and probaly more. Ask any expert.