In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Egg Protein Before Bed Ok?

Hi All,

Just a quick question - I used to have a protein blend with flax before bed. The blend aided time release as it had whey, casein, egg and soy protein in it. However recently the company which makes it (local) has come under serious scrutiny for its quality and test reports have shown it to be inferior and I would rather stick to good stuff. Other, imported brands are really expensive here (around 2-3x the price). However, two other proteins I use are egg protein which I have in the morning of training days and whey for PWO. Whey is too quick acting for night even with flax/PB but I believe the egg protein is a much slower releasing. Is it ok then to substitute the blend I used to take with egg protein at night, which will of course go hand in hand with flax/PB for extra slowdown properties? Also please don't tell me to get form website cause they are all overseas and shipping here to SA is unfortunately out of the question

Thanks,
    X

Brass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah egg protein is good before be.......

xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks brass.

Just to add, the reasons I do not have either cottage cheese or other real food (such as boiled eggwhites) are:

1. Cottage I have on occasion but not too much because we don't get low-sodium CC here, and when I used to have it nightly it bloated me, cause it has around 1.5g sodium per serving! It also makes me gag
    2. Real food I know is normally preferred to protein powders but whenever I have solid food I cannot sleep at all, keeps me up for like 2 hours

Cheers,
    X

sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As mentioned, egg whites are fine

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Depends on what you mean by 'before' bed.
    An hour, yes. Five minutes, no.
    It is really not recommended that you go to bed with a full stomach. This is a period (ie; sleep) when your body is resting. So it doesn't really want to digest anything when it's asleep. That can be quite stressful on the heart especially.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

Intersting. I was ALWAYS under the impression that before bed is fine. Anyone else like to chime in on this as this is the first time I have seen that perspective and may need to bear that in mind.

X

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    uh that's rediculous....

your supposed to eat before bed.. this is the ACTUAL time you grow.. why not grow with food that makes you grow?

cottage cheese is the best type of prtoeoin before bed becuase it is cassein. but if you can't have that then oh well...

egg protein is fine... its a nice slow digesting source of protein so you can sleep with it..

there are several reasons why protein lasts for sooo many hours while you sleep... reason one its a slow digesting protein especially with the cassein how it actually "clots" in your stomach.

the other MAIN reason is becuase your body is operating at such a slow pace your metabolism is slowed to a crawl.. so the food will be processed throughout the night..
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Max Protein
    Depends on what you mean by 'before' bed.
    An hour, yes. Five minutes, no.
    It is really not recommended that you go to bed with a full stomach. This is a period (ie; sleep) when your body is resting. So it doesn't really want to digest anything when it's asleep. That can be quite stressful on the heart especially.
    I'm sorry, but this is completely and totally incorrect. There are a number of good reasons to eat right before bed, but primarily to help minimize and combat catabolism. I could make a list, but I think Respawn is doing it.

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    I'm sorry, but this is completely and totally incorrect. There are a number of good reasons to eat right before bed, but primarily to help minimize and combat catabolism. I could make a list, but I think Respawn is doing it.
    Combat catabolism? Give me a break!! Just how much muscle do you expect to lose thorugh the night? When you're asleep, growth hormones are at a high (which is why we're recommended to workout in the morning) which counteracts the very act of catabolism, or tissue breakdown.
    I didn't say you couldn't eat anything before going to bed, I meant it was unwise going to bed with a full stomach.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Max Protein
    Combat catabolism? Give me a break!! Just how much muscle do you expect to lose thorugh the night? When you're asleep, growth hormones are at a high (which is why we're recommended to workout in the morning) which counteracts the very act of catabolism, or tissue breakdown.
    I didn't say you couldn't eat anything before going to bed, I meant it was unwise going to bed with a full stomach.
    How much do you WANT to lose at night? Go ahead and avoid having any fuel in your stomach. I know protein turnover is normal, and with a late, small dose of proteins and omegas, I can minimize it and aid my body in the repair process. Avoid food, and you allow a larger deficiency AND obligate your NEXT meal to do more work than it needs to. Simple as that.

This has nothing to do with "full stomach" vs. going to bed marginally fed - this has to do with getting a dose of slow-digesting fuel before you go on an 8-hour fast. For most of us, a couple hundred calories is fine. Far from what you might consider a "full stomach". But I do what I can to have it as close to hitting the pillow as I can.

And "So [your body] doesn't really want to digest anything when it's asleep." Huh? I think you should have been more specific - I'll bet we're closer to agreeing than you or I think. If you're saying we truly shouldn't eat ANYTHING within an hour of bed, then that's an ultra-minority view, unfounded physiology. If you're saying you shouldn't go to bed with 1000 calories in your stomach, then I'd agree.

Originally Posted by xenithon
    Intersting. I was ALWAYS under the impression that before bed is fine.
    It IS fine. You just need to pick the right foods in the rigth quantity.

teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

what would be right food and right quantity?

Are 2 whole eggs cooked with 1tbsp olive oil ommelette okay?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by teen8ger

Thanks.
    That would be okay, but perhaps a little higher in fat than most of us would allow at that meal. It would also depend on your goals and your whole day - impossible to say what's right for you only knowing one meal.

But all all other meals were pretty tight and if you weren't bulking or cutting specifically, just maintaining, trying to add a little mass, that would be a C or C+.

Olive oil is fine, but that's a lot for only two eggs, and there's no real need for 2 yolks. I'd at least do 3 whites, 1 yolk, and cut down the olive oil to just what you need to cook, if any. Get more of your omega-3 and omega-6 fats elsewhere in the day.

Originally Posted by teen8ger

Thanks.
    I usually do 1 cup of non-fat cottage cheese and a spoon of natural PB. Sometimes a small whey (with water) shake, a small glass of nf milk, and a bit of flax. Sometimes 4 or 5 egg whites with some milk....

Depends what you like.