Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RipperMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Crunches VS The Plank(s)

Yar matey... anyway...

I was doing crunches (many many) to try and build my abs, which is uccesfully managed to target my upper abs very very well, lower ones, not so well...

I switched to doing THE PLANK and SIDE PLANKS - and got great results, also found it easier than crunches as its more endurance than anything...

i was wondering what other peoples expriences were, and if anyone had found better ab excercises?

Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The plank is great.

Try hanging from the ceiling and pulling yourself into a folded (pike position), repeat.

Huckit is cool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    whats the plank?

what is the plank?

Unstoppable One has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im not too sure what the plank is... can someone explain?

Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lay on your front, prop your upper body up with your elbows and your palms flat on the floor. Then with your abs bring yourself up off the floor, get your stomach in line with your hips and keep tensed for 10-60 seconds. FEEL THE BURN.

do you do just the plank by itsself or with crunches? and how many sets

i do the plank/side plank and side plank for 15 secs, 3 reps each side.

3 reps for normal plank for 30-60 secconds...its relaly hard.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i'll admit it; i have no clue what the plank is, lol
    <->

I don't work out, I train xplosiveDL's Avatar
    xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by RipperMan
    Yar matey... anyway...

I was doing crunches (many many) to try and build my abs, which is uccesfully managed to target my upper abs very very well, lower ones, not so well...

I switched to doing THE PLANK and SIDE PLANKS - and got great results, also found it easier than crunches as its more endurance than anything...

i was wondering what other peoples expriences were, and if anyone had found better ab excercises?
    #1 no such thing as upper/lower abs.
    #2 abs = fast twitch, so 10000000 reps won't do ****
    #3 the plank is isometric, nothing to do with endurance
    If a guy is muscular but cant lift worth **** he is nuthing but a cosmetic pussy ,non functional muscle size =pointless silicon implants as far as i `m concerned

-> A-Rod

You want big muscles, girly man? Find big rock. Pick up big rock. Raise big rock overhead. Repeat as neccesary.

-> rent-a-lambo

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by xplosiveDL
    #2 the plank is isometric, nothing to do with endurance
    #1: 3 comes after 2

#2: AJ stoopid; please explain 'the plank' to me
    <->

xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    i'll admit it; i have no clue what the plank is, lol
    http://www.fitnessfx.com/site_files/.../abs_plank.htm
    If a guy is muscular but cant lift worth **** he is nuthing but a cosmetic pussy ,non functional muscle size =pointless silicon implants as far as i `m concerned

-> A-Rod

You want big muscles, girly man? Find big rock. Pick up big rock. Raise big rock overhead. Repeat as neccesary.

-> rent-a-lambo

interesting......
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    interesting......
    try it, providing it doesn't make you throw up colorful vomit

-> A-Rod

-> rent-a-lambo

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bulk offs > * when it comes to abs.

try it, providing it doesn't make you throw up colorful vomit
    phear teh blue vomit!

i should have taken pictures (if i hadn't passed out, lol)
    <->

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up listen to this post

#3 the plank is isometric, nothing to do with endurance
    very nice!
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

i dont care if thers no such thing as upp and lower abs - alls i know is that the upper part of my abs felt more worked than the lower - so there

as for the plank it seems tow ork them all equally well, although, not to the extent as the crucnhes did, well not the same feeling - but same effects...that make sense?

still would prefer to find an excercise that works the lower part of my abs better.

Or atleast gets that last little bit of fat outta there.

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    cardio and diet will get that last little bit of fat outa there, not doing ab exercises.
    Last edited by Haywood Jablome; 09-14-2004 at 02:49 PM.

Originally Posted by RipperMan
    as for the plank it seems tow ork them all equally well, although, not to the extent as the crucnhes did, well not the same feeling - but same effects...that make sense?
    Makes perfect sense, when you factor in the fact that feeling means ****.

still would prefer to find an excercise that works the lower part of my abs better.

Or atleast gets that last little bit of fat outta there.
    HIIT's good.

-> A-Rod

-> rent-a-lambo

Originally Posted by Haywood Jablome
    cardio and diet will get that last little bit of fat outa there, not doing ab exercises.
    werd
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    werd
    fer shizzle mah nizzle-izzle-dizzle

-> A-Rod

-> rent-a-lambo

Saving Muscle Since 2004 SavesTheMuscle's Avatar
    SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ROFL!! Fo shizzie

I like the plank..and find it hits my obliques more then anything.

I'm currently doing 3 x 6-8 Weighted Incline Crunches, and 3 x 6-8 of Hanging Leg Raises twice a week...experimenting is the key kids' (HAHAH I'm probably younger then 95.99 repeating of the ppl who visit this forum).

Workout Log:
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=5195771#post5195771[/url]

Big Supplment Review: Updated as of 8/1/04
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=32c727bafc0d97038e2f325a8e7a9f20&threadid=295441[/url]

"Sucess is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchhill

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    looks like holding Downward Dog possition

mpowell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you guys are lucky/bigger, planks don't burn at all for me I have to do Lsits

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    try V-sits
    -Mortality-

Originally Posted by mpowell
    you guys are lucky/bigger, planks don't burn at all for me I have to do Lsits
    we're not lucky, just smart enough to know that burn isnt an indication of growth

-> A-Rod

-> rent-a-lambo

<->

Rook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do planks (aka side bridges) for a hold of 100s a side. I've found they really helped carve out definition between my ribs and lats.

Highly recommended.

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ya, so do hanging leg raises.

Works the transverse abdominals good