hustla2489 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Home gym setup????

hey guys i am planning to set up a home gym as soon as i move into my new house....so far, i have a 300lbs olympic set, a small treadmill that my mom uses(which i w ill most likely not use), and this bench: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A4134%3A49040

please tell me what you think and what else would be necessary
    pain is temporary....pride is forever

every time you miss a workout, it gets me one more step closer to beating you

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hustla2489
    hey guys i am planning to set up a home gym as soon as i move into my new house....so far, i have a 300lbs olympic set, a small treadmill that my mom uses(which i w ill most likely not use), and this bench: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A4134%3A49040

please tell me what you think and what else would be necessary
    i'd get a power rack unless you've got some one to spot you. even then i always prefer squating in a power rack

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just don't bother with it...get yo' ass down the gym.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Imo, the must haves for a good home gym are:

1-Good power rack (make sure you can overhead press in it)
    2-Good Oly bar
    3-Good bench
    4-Plenty of plates

Dont skimp on the rack or bar. A lot depends on how serious about weight training you are. If you are just a casual lifter, then what youre planning probably will work okay. If you want to lift big weight, compete, olympic lifting, etc, etc, then youre gonna have to invest some money.

Dont_quit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why would you have to overhead press in a power rack? Just set the pins outside of the power rack and drop it if it's too heavy.

maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dont_quit
    Why would you have to overhead press in a power rack? Just set the pins outside of the power rack and drop it if it's too heavy.
    Do you mean the J-Hooks? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, but I like to do standing overhead work in a power rack. When I purchased mine I made the mistake of not having it built taller, so I cant. If you're doing heavy overhead lockouts I prefer to do them off pins set above my head. For most people, real heavy overhead lockouts make the body real unstable and its safer if the bar falls a few inches onto the safety pins rather than back onto you from 7+ feet in the air. I suppose its not a mandatory feature on a power rack, but if you like the exercise or are into Olympic lifting, I think its a good feature, imo.

Dont_quit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by maidenfan
    Do you mean the J-Hooks? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, but I like to do standing overhead work in a power rack. When I purchased mine I made the mistake of not having it built taller, so I cant. If you're doing heavy overhead lockouts I prefer to do them off pins set above my head. For most people, real heavy overhead lockouts make the body real unstable and its safer if the bar falls a few inches onto the safety pins rather than back onto you from 7+ feet in the air. I suppose its not a mandatory feature on a power rack, but if you like the exercise or are into Olympic lifting, I think its a good feature, imo.
    yeah, i meant j-hooks. But I see what you mean. If you press really heavy you could possibly fall over or something and being in a rack would be nice.