Jagpreet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Is it better to do more weight and less reps or less weight and more reps???

what is better more weight and less reps or less weight and more reps???because sometimes if you handle more weight and do less reps you might not be doing the exercise in good form. just want to know what your guys take is on this...what is better more weight and less reps or less weight and more reps???

Is on Chicken steroids Assassinator's Avatar
    Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000) Assassinator is just really nice. (+1000)
    Depends what you want ?

Heavy weight and low reps will build muscle and size.
    Low weight and high reps will work more on fitness and indurance, it won't build to much muscle.

cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cjszip has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    now i can't quite remember, but i think the leg muscles are made up of slow twich muscle fibers and thus, they respond to higher reps, such as 12-16... but personally i warm up with high reps and then i add weight and do reps between 6-10. that's what has worked best for me, but maybe it wouldn't work so well for someone else. hope this helps, maybe someone else can anwser your question if i didn't

-cj

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    right now i'm in the 4-6 rep range for legs and seems to be working great, just make sure the reps are to faliure and in good form, you should grow under a whole array of rep ranges, then it's just up to what you like best.

Registered User BodybuildingKid's Avatar
    BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If its too heavy you will **** up before the routine is over and your form will be horrible (only do this personally if your expirienced and are strong enough to keep decent/good form while doing it)

If its too light you won't recruit enough fibre, and won't feel any pain..therefore won't build muscle.

So therefore, pick just the right ammount of weight (enough to barrily get you through your workout) and that should be perfect.

im at a 6-8 rep range.

no pain, no gain

pz
    "Observe not that which is seen, but that which is not seen." -Dennis Nackord , Kenpo Karate System.

"No pain no ****in gain, GO PSYCHO U ****IN PUSSY, UP THAT ****IN WEIGHT, UP THEM REPS BITCH RAHH"

"I beleive that everything you do bad, comes back to you. So everything i do bad, im going to suffer for it.. But in my heart.. i beleive what i am doin is right.. So i feel like i am going to heaven" - Tupac Shakur June '96

Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes i too think that 12-16 is good for legs as they are constantly being trained when you walk etc.
    " You say you gave it your all??? but did you did you really??? Now go out there and sweat Blood "

BBJ the daddy!
    the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the guy that can't run fast.

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on your style of training.

Joe1014 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Both ,because they both activate different muscle fibers.

has a wealth of knowledge BB is 4 life :)'s Avatar
    BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    muscles are made up of both muscle fibres !!!

slow twitch are affected by high reps and fast twitch by low reps heavy weights !!!!

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by cjszip
    now i can't quite remember, but i think the leg muscles are made up of slow twich muscle fibers and thus, they respond to higher reps, such as 12-16... but personally i warm up with high reps and then i add weight and do reps between 6-10. that's what has worked best for me, but maybe it wouldn't work so well for someone else. hope this helps, maybe someone else can anwser your question if i didn't

-cj
    I don't know about you but I don't feel like I am made of much slow twich muscle...I can break 11.00 in the 100 meters and 47.9 in the 400 meters, dunk a ball and I am only 5'10"...our you trying to tell me that we have more slow twitch muscle fibers in our legs...well I don't know but does this mean it is recommended for someone like me to train with more weight in the 6-8 rep range...
    Last edited by FATHER FLEX; 05-21-2002 at 03:40 PM.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by FATHER FLEX

I don't know about you but I don't feel like I am made of much slow twich muscle...I can break 11.00 in the 100 meters and 47.9 in the 400 meters, dunk a ball and I am only 5'10"...our you trying to tell me that we have more slow twitch muscle fibers in our legs...well I don't know but does this mean it is recommended for someone like me to train with more weight in the 6-8 rep range...
    If you can do that, you probably mean fast twitch, because sprinting and jumping are all explosive movements that require slow twitch fibers. Distance runners have mostly slow twitch fibers.

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It is really easy to talk about muscle fibers not really knowing them, when there is a whole science behind them. And when I say science, I mean like on the first rep, fast twitch are affected, on the second are another fibers affected, etc, etc.

Just a thought...

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i go by this rule:

bench(regular and close-grip), deadlift, squat, as heavy as possible, 3sets, 5reps

EVERYTHING else, slow and controlled form, 3setes, 8reps, don't worry about the weight, just make sure it takes 2-3seconds up, squeeze, 2-3seconds down
    Booo

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Type I Fibers: (red)
    These Fibers have a slow contraction to velocity and are very hard to fatigue. ( Slow Twitch)

Type IIA Fibers: (red)
    These Fibers have a fast contraction to velocity and are also resistant to fatigue. ( Fast Twitch)

Type IIB Fibers: (white)
    These Fibers are fatigued quite easy and are very fast contraction to veloctiy. ( Very Fast Twitch)

BB:
    "slow twitch are affected by high reps and fast twitch by low reps heavy weights !!!!"

* You can stimulate IIB fiber's by both high reps and low reps. The reason is they respond to tension rather then the load of the bar.

lifter

seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I say screw all that. Experiment for yourself. What works for one person may not work for another.

ex_banana-eater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do 8 reps for every excercise because this stimulates both short and fast twitch muscle fibers.

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
    do 8 reps for every excercise because this stimulates both short and fast twitch muscle fibers.
    Your still stimulating all muscle fibers if ur only doing 2 reps. U cant skip Type IA and only train IIB. With anything u do u recruit all muscle fiber's. Every movment recruites them all.. how much of each determinds how u are lifting it.

lifter

Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles
    Id say it really depends if you want to be bulk or cut. If bulk is you goal do it in the 6 rep area. If cut is your 10 reps is good to good. If its neither of the two do 8. If you dont feel any pain at all move up in weight.
    Muscles

ex_banana-eater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Powerlifter16

Your still stimulating all muscle fibers if ur only doing 2 reps. U cant skip Type IA and only train IIB. With anything u do u recruit all muscle fiber's. Every movment recruites them all.. how much of each determinds how u are lifting it.

lifter
    sorry what i meant to say was with 8 reps you are placing a stimulus on a miximum number of muscle fibers, from both types. (compared to a different amount of reps)

Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do all the range. I dop four sets per exercise. It goes 12 10 8 6 i feel that works good for ME if others dont like my opinion then dont critisise (spelling) it just accept it.
    " You say you gave it your all??? but did you did you really??? Now go out there and sweat Blood "

BBJ the daddy!
    the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the guy that can't run fast.