mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

replacing bent over rows

I can't seem to keep a good form whenever I do bent over rows. When i get half way through them my lower back just kills me and i have to stop. Are t-bar rows a good replacement for these? If not then what is?

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lower the weight and work on your form then; it isn't right for your lower back to hurt unless you're bobbing, which is wrong.

also do rack pulls.

Persian Warrior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Persian Warrior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    T-Bar rows are a good substitute bro but only temporarily.

I used to do barbell rows with a regualr grip then I switched to reverse grip and had to drop the weight. Much more effective !

Also while your doing the BR's watch your form in the mirrors. I used to be conscious when I started this exercise initially conscious of sticking my BUM too far out which caused me to bob.

Then when I stuck it out a bit further my body's angle became flatter and the bobbing stopped. Try it see if it makes a difference.

GL ...
    "All selfish desires should be roasted in the tempering fires of hard training."

Height 6'1 and a bit
    Weight 110kg(Big but not Ripped :))

Measurements(No Pump Cold)

Bicep 17.5 inch Chest 45 inch

Quad 24.5 inch Neck 17 inch

Waist 36 inch Bf 22-25 %

BenchPress
    120kg x 2
    Squat
    145kg x 6
    Deadlift
    156kg x 1
    MilitaryPress
    80kg x 1
    LegPress
    295kg x 2

deowal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Strengthen your lower back.

iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by deowal
    Strengthen your lower back.
    I agree...

Also, i find T-bars put just as much strain on my lower back if not more than bb rows... so maybe try DB rows instead.
    ((((()-----------((((()

http://www.********.com/skinnyaaroncurtis

Calorie Surplus + Progressive Overload x Years Training = Continuous Gains. UMAD GH15?

"My BeNcH pReSs BrInGs All ThE GirLs To ThE yArD, n ThEy'Re LiKe, YoUr PeCs ArE LaRgE, dAmN rIgHt My PeCs ArE LaRgE, u CaN tOuCh ThEm, bUt IlL hAvE tO cHaRgE."

El Dudereno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try doing them at 45 degrees (or higher) and see if that helps.
    El Dudereno he say: "Make every day an anabolic day."

>>>>>>
    anabolic

\An`a*bol"ic\, a.(Physiol.) Pertaining to anabolism; an anabolic change or process, more or less constructive in its nature.
    >>>>>>

Originally Posted by El Dudereno
    Try doing them at 45 degrees (or higher) and see if that helps.
    yea; besides that, if you're moving heavy weights it'll be near impossible to be at a 90deg. angle; i know i sure as hell can't.

mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mr-swoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by iron_curtis
    I agree...

Also, i find T-bars put just as much strain on my lower back if not more than bb rows... so maybe try DB rows instead.

I was planning on doing them on a machine where it will support my lower back.

Originally Posted by mr-swoll
    I was planning on doing them on a machine where it will support my lower back.

you've got to either strengthen your back or work on your form- i've had pretty serious back injuries in the past and mine only pain me when i've got poor form.

DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't seem to keep a good form whenever I do bent over rows. When i get half way through them my lower back just kills me and i have to stop. Are t-bar rows a good replacement for these? If not then what is?
    Do weighted pull-ups and heavy deadlifts instead. Besides the overall back size and strength gains, the deads will also strengthen the lumbars (lower back).

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

T-bar rows are a good replacement, but if you are using the free standing bar I don't think it will be an inprovement when it comes to lower back strain. How about 1 arm DB rows? Or close, parallel grip chins?

bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As hard as this is to say.......I dont do bent over rows, never have, never will. I have fantastic Back development without them. But I do use Cable rows.

Is there a big difference b/w cable rows and bent rows in terms of their effectiveness on upper back thickness?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

T-bar rows can be a good substitute. You can also use a hammer grip which I feel makes tbar rows VERY effective. Oh, and love the screen name. That is what my late friend Joshua used to call himself. Well that, and DEBO.

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Work on your lower back with some hyperextensions and deadlifts. You need to do Barbell Rows if you want to see any kind of muscularity in the upper back area, and this isn't my opinion. It's the opinion of Dorian Yates, Arnold and Lee Haney, all of whom had superior upper-back development.
    Do Dorian Yates-style Rows, don't bend over as much, bend half-way between upright and parallel to the ground; and with an underhand grip pull the barbell into your waist. I personally prefer to 'Yates Row' with an EZ Bar. And keep the lower back arched instead of rounded-over.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

Monk_1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Monk_1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Some excellent points have been made.

I like to keep my body at around 30 degrees to the ground durning BB rows.
    I would definitly add deadlifts if you are not already doing them.
    I like T-bar rows, they add good thickness.

If you are looking for a replacement for BB rows while you strenghten your lower back. Try 2-Arm dumbbell rows lying face down on an incline bench.
    Obsessed*

*the word the weak use to describe the dedicated

Is there a big difference b/w cable rows and bent rows in terms of their effectiveness on upper back thickness?
    yes.

BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000) BigTraps is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's about the same difference as doing standing cable flyes vs. leaning forward dips for your chest...

That means yes it is a huge difference.
    I'm back. For good.

wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuddog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Monk_1
    Some excellent points have been made.

I like to keep my body at around 30 degrees to the ground durning BB rows.
    I would definitly add deadlifts if you are not already doing them.
    I like T-bar rows, they add good thickness.

If you are looking for a replacement for BB rows while you strenghten your lower back. Try 2-Arm dumbbell rows lying face down on an incline bench.
    Bump on the 2-arm rows on the incline. Excellent exercise to protect the low back.
    One arm rows work pretty well for me, too.
    Deadlifts seem to put quite a bit of strain on my low back, even with a belt. They are great for building mass and thickness, though. Partial DLs off the rack are a good alternative.
    I've used standing cable rows with my back at about 45 degrees and the straight cable handle (used for cable curls) at the bottom of the cable machine (you may have to stand on a box to get a good stretch). I've also had good success using both cloth handles hooked to the same cable. I'd start with my hands in the flat or zero degree position and rotate them as I pulled back to 90 degrees or further. They feel great.
    DOH!

bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BigTraps
    It's about the same difference as doing standing cable flyes vs. leaning forward dips for your chest...

That means yes it is a huge difference.
    I partly agree, yes bent overs are superior, I just dont like them. Never undersestimate the cable for any movement though.

Originally Posted by bradp
    I partly agree, yes bent overs are superior, I just dont like them. Never undersestimate the cable for any movement though.
    true enough.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Originally Posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    true enough.
    Hyper definitely likes his BELOVED bentover rows.

LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Free weights best.......but cables are my friend too
    In 1945, Adolf Hilter died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied, "I am responsible for the massacre of millions" Satan said, "well done, sit to the right of my throne." In 1953, Joseph Stalin died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied "I killed millions to stay in power" Satan said "good, sit to my left" 2010, Ronnie James Dio died and went to Hell, Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" Dio replied, "Bitch, get the fuk off my throne!"

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Hyper definitely likes his BELOVED bentover rows.