STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STfarva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to get better at pull-ups?

I finally did pull-ups for the first time the other day. I was only able to do about 3. I was kind of embarresed. Im not a weak guy but i guess i am in that area. My question is will i get better just doing a few a day. I feel like im not getting a good workout cause i can do hardly any.
    Thanks
    Farva

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, as you keep doing them and as your back gets stronger they will be easier.

You can do lat pulldowns for now instead.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    time.

once you can do 6-8 reps, add weight w/ a dip belt.

also can do rack chins (goto the exercise section and search for ' @reference ' ...one of my referenece posts contains description on how to do it

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i couldn't do more than 5 at first. everyone said to do pulldowns until i could do a good weight for 10-12 reps. I listened to the advice, but after awhile i still could do only 5.

so i just kept doing bodyweight pullups. then i started adding weight with a belt, going for singles and triples. that's when i started doing more with bodyweight alone

my suggestion -

keep doing bodyweight pullups
    if you can do only 3, do sets of 2. But make sure they are good, clean, complete reps.

Do 2 reps, but do about 8 sets. add a rep next week. keep going until you reach 5 reps for 5 sets.

then start adding weight. 5lbs at a time. smaller the increment the better.

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    German Volume Training

if you can only do 5, then do 10 sets of 2, obviously no failure, rest 1-2 minutes between sets. add 1 rep each week.

if you have a pullup bar at home, that's even better, do 3-4 pullups throughout the day (like every 2 hours or so), no failure of course.

this is a great way to increase pullups numbers, if that's your goal.
    -Mortality-

IMNOTLIQUID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can only do about 9 or so. I started like last week by adding one pull-up everday. Hopefully it helps. You just have to keep working at it.
    Serious Lifting Experience: 1 year

Maxes:

Squat: 225 pounds
    Bench Press: 160 pounds
    Deadlift: 255 pounds

Total- 690 pounds @ 160 pounds

Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000) Supadude is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why not use a machine with pullup assist? Then you can slowly increase the weight untill you are doing pure bodyweight for a lot of reps.

elite89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're adding one pullup a day? Jeez, I struggle with 5lbs to my bench per week. Do your plan for a year and you'll have the most out of perportion back on earth! Good luck, you'll probably need it.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Supadude
    Why not use a machine with pullup assist? Then you can slowly increase the weight untill you are doing pure bodyweight for a lot of reps.
    don't waste your time w/ the pullup assist machine- do rack chin/pullups. because of the leverage advantage even if you can't do 1 chin you should be able to do rack chins.