IronCutie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High School Girls Basketball

I'm 15, female and a sophmore in high school. Basketball tryouts are in two months. I'm looking for an example training program (with strength training and cardio) that will help to condition my body and get me ready for tryouts. I need to know what kind of weightlifting will benifit me more (heavy or endurance) and also what kind of cardio will prepare me for the drills and the game itself. Pleeeeeease respond! Thx
    "The Pain of Discipline is Less than the Pain of Regret"

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 126lbs

Mad Hockey Boy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    -When lifting weights for basketball try to go for strength and power.

-I would keep the reps low (3-6) and the sets at 4 or 5.

-When power training drop the weight to 30%-50% your one rep max and focus on bar speed.

-When strength training, make sure you lift heavy (75%+ 1 rep max)

-Including pylometrics would help, along with the power training, to increase your vertical jump.

A good weight training/conditioning program might look like this

Monday- Upper Body Strength
    Tuesday- Conditioning and Pylometrics
    Wednesday- Lower Body Strength
    Thursday- Conditioning
    Friday- Full Body Power Training
    Saturday- Conditioning

For conditioning I would train both aerobic and anaerobic. Twice a week, go for 30+ minunte jog and do high intensity intervals once a week.

If you need to know more I'll be happy to answer any questions. Good luck.
    Dick goes to the gym, Dick doesn't give it 110%, Dick whines about not growing, don't be a Dick.

IronCutie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what do you mean by 'conditioning' and 'power training'?
    "The Pain of Discipline is Less than the Pain of Regret"

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 126lbs

user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You would do well with doing the basic compound lifts, such as squats, deadlifts, rows, and push presses (only because bench press does not have much application in basketball). Cardio is best done utilizing anaerobic drills, such as sprints of varying length, and maybe even some interval running. This suits the needs of basketball much better than doing steady state energy systems training.

To get a better grasp, here are a few links that would most likely appeal to you:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459296
    www.grrlathlete.com

Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hey ironcutie do alot of sprints and stairs too.. those help alot with speed and endurance

and download some basketball videos off kazaa... study jordan, kobe, francis, and skip 2 my lou.. they are the best overall players with all the essentials (shot, handles, play making ability)

strength and conditioning are very important.. but theyre useless if u dont got game.. good luck
    imagination is more important than knowledge - einstein

user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by Poor Excuse

and download some basketball videos off kazaa... study jordan, kobe, francis, and skip 2 my lou.. they are the best overall players with all the essentials (shot, handles, play making ability)

I am going to have to disagree with you on player recommendations, besides Jordan. The players of today are horrible. They have no fundamentals, can't shoot a jump shot, can't pass, and most importantly, can't play team ball. They would rather dunk than use any teamwork. This is easily observed by watching the olympic basketball games. We were simply outclassed by guys who knew how to play as a team. I doubt any of those teams have a total salary that is 1/10th of USA's. Yet USA lost multiple times.

I would find a fundamentals book, unless you already are a decent player.

Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Work on your conditioning rather than weights. I'd suggest jump roping as one of the best activities you can do.

If you do decide to lift weights, keep in mind it isn't neccessary for basketball.

The coaches will be looking at how good you play basketball, not how strong or conditioned you are (aslong as you aren't an obese slug on the court who won't run). So with that being said, just practice playing.

I don't play basketball myself, but in my opinion weight lifting (for you) will only be a bad use of time.

toejam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toejam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toejam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toejam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'd say work on your conditioning more than weightlifting.
    in 2 months i doubt you'll achieve much in muscle gains anyways, so itd be much more beneficial for you to do cardio.

work on stairs, jogging, etc. things to get your endurance up. it'll pay off when your running up and down the court.

dont forget to work on your shot
    if i had a dollar for every brain i didnt have, i'd have one dollar

Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poor Excuse is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Silent_Impact
    I am going to have to disagree with you on player recommendations, besides Jordan. The players of today are horrible. They have no fundamentals, can't shoot a jump shot, can't pass, and most importantly, can't play team ball. They would rather dunk than use any teamwork. This is easily observed by watching the olympic basketball games. We were simply outclassed by guys who knew how to play as a team. I doubt any of those teams have a total salary that is 1/10th of USA's. Yet USA lost multiple times.

I would find a fundamentals book, unless you already are a decent player.
    kobe horrible?? kg horrible?? tim duncan horrible?? steve francis horrible????

i dont know what basketball league you watch.. but the top 20 players of today are better then the top 20 players in the last 40 years.

i gave her an excellent list.. kobe is the best overral player in the game today.. he can shoot, handle, pass.. and hes clutch (just like his airness)

steve francis and skip are the best pgs in the L..

quit hatin man

Registered User desire2bthebest's Avatar
    desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire2bthebest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stevie franchise and skip are NOT the best pg's in the league,skip is the best streetballer in the league-2 very different games.francis only jus finished in top ten in assists last season (9th wit 6.2) and alston didnt even make top ten,his career high is 11 assists,even shareef abdur rahim has a better career high than that!francis top 6 in the league in all turnover categories.these two aren't even your pure point guards which is really really rare in the league today,they are both shoot first minded guards,alston was 6th in the nba in 3 pointers attempted despite only averaging 31mins a game.the only pure point in the league today is jason kidd full stop.

http://www.insidehoops.com/point-guard-090104.shtml

that article pretty much sums it up.
    sorry to steal your thread ironcutie

Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Denion_Jr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

Hey guys, you are hijacking the thread, stop argueing and answer her questions.

Originally posted by desire2bthebest
    stevie franchise and skip are NOT the best pg's in the league,skip is the best streetballer in the league-2 very different games.francis only jus finished in top ten in assists last season (9th wit 6.2) and alston didnt even make top ten,his career high is 11 assists,even shareef abdur rahim has a better career high than that!francis top 6 in the league in all turnover categories.these two aren't even your pure point guards which is really really rare in the league today,they are both shoot first minded guards,alston was 6th in the nba in 3 pointers attempted despite only averaging 31mins a game.the only pure point in the league today is jason kidd full stop.

http://www.insidehoops.com/point-guard-090104.shtml

that article pretty much sums it up.
    sorry to steal your thread ironcutie
    skip doesnt even start.. and he consistently shuts down the L's best pgs (kidd, marbury, francis etc) while throwin dimes left and right

skip is the purest pg in the L.. kidd cant shoot for a lick. if u want to study a pg with heart, game, and dedication.. u study francis and skip

if u wanna study a wifebeater and someone who cant shoot.. go ahead and study kidd

Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rockwilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Francis is more of a shooting guard if u ask me and skip(Rafer Alston) just dribbles a whole lot and then shoots a three. if u wanna study point guards check out John Stockton. Back to the topic, Squats, Goodmornings, Donkey toe raises, Deadlifts, military press, hyperextensions and the usuals for the other body parts will do u good. mostly u wanna stay quick and agile so do shuffles, suicides and sprints and most importantly shoot after u work out so u keep ur stroke the way u like it.
    good luck on making the team.

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Rockwilder
    mostly u wanna stay quick and agile so do shuffles, suicides and sprints .
    no... suicides will just cause negative fiber type changes and even CNS overload if you are truely training hard.

highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) highpower1111 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Along with weight training you should be playing as much basketball as you can. There are always pick-up games where i lift and in the offseason i would always play in them for hours. It was a great way to get prepared for the season and it also helped me build up my endurance. The biggest mistake i noticed on my team is that a lot of my teammates came into the season out of shape (or in football shape).
    "The biggest risk in life is not taking one"

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. " - John Wooden

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing"