IronCutie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High School Girls Basketball

Anyone know of a good example for a strength/cardio workout program that would help train me for basketball? Tryouts are in 2 months and I wanna be able to make the team
    "The Pain of Discipline is Less than the Pain of Regret"

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 126lbs

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: High School Girls Basketball

Originally posted by IronCutie
    Anyone know of a good example for a strength/cardio workout program that would help train me for basketball? Tryouts are in 2 months and I wanna be able to make the team
    Various forms of sprints would certainly help your wind and legs. Like HIIT cardio, where you do something like:
    2-4 minute light jog
    10 second hard run
    50 second slow jog
    10 second hard run
    etc., doing that about 4-12 times, then a slow jog to cool down.

For strength, there's really no strength training you can do for B-ball that will actually help you much. If it's a physical game, then strength would aid your endurance, but it won't help you shoot or dribble or keep up with the girl next to you. I'd worry primarily about your lungs.

Sure, it's tempting to do shouldr work, and that's fine, but overrated.

And if you can't shoot, this will help you hugely, to be able to outlast everyone else.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    alright - don't rely on a routine here to help you get a spot on the team. you gotta keep plaing ball.

but here is a two day a week routine that will help you develop strength, keeping the volume low so you can spend the bulk of your time on the court.

day one - weighted situps, squats, incline dumbell bench press, barbell rows , calf raises

day two - hanging leg raises, stiff leg deadlifts, military press, pulldowns, calf raises

do two sets for each exercise and do 8-10 reps

for cardio - do suicides ( sprints on the court, up and back to each line ),sprints while dribbling, rebounding drills,
    and do defensive shuffles up and down the court.

when i DO lift weights....should it be endurance or strength training? (which will benefit my game more?)

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    when i DO lift weights....should it be endurance or strength training? (which will benefit my game more?)
    Endurance, without question.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i say for strength.

let your cardio and actual basketball take care of the endurance part.

Well, she's not even on the team, so basketball won't be taking care of it. And there is no cardio - that's what she's debating.

Not to argue this, but if you're going into an endurance sport, where the value for strength is only as a bonus and endurance is what separates the successful from the unsuccessful, I'm not sure how strength is the asset you value at all, early on. After all, if she gains a speck of strength in the next few few but can't stay active for an hour on the court, where is she then?

Originally posted by zackmurphy
    Well, she's not even on the team, so basketball won't be taking care of it.
    when you try out for a team, you usually practice for that particular sport before the actual try outs. the hours of shooting, layups, and pickup games should be enough conditioning in addition to the strength routine and cardio/sprint drills i suggested earlier
    And there is no cardio - that's what she's debating.
    Anyone know of a good example for a strength/cardio workout program that would help train me for basketball?
    she wants a cardio and strength routine...
    Not to argue this, but if you're going into an endurance sport, where the value for strength is only as a bonus and endurance is what separates the successful from the unsuccessful,
    strength is whats really gonna make a difference for her in basketball. if she has the skill and talent to actually consider trying out for the team, i assume she has played basketball before, so she's in decent enough shape to run the floor. so what's gonna make the difference is the extra muscle to push the other player out of position, protect her dribble, box out for a rebound, etc.
    I'm not sure how strength is the asset you value at all, early on. After all, if she gains a speck of strength in the next few few but can't stay active for an hour on the court, where is she then?
    basketball is not like a cardio session - no jogging non stop. It's more short sprints. She'll need leg strength for jumping and chasing down other players. its not non stop action. there is dead time in practice as well as games. the coaches will give tme for breaks.

i played 4 years HS ball and i wish i had more muscle than anything. I could run forever just from practice at home everyday and games during lunch. If I had more strength it would have made a world of difference.

Originally posted by SDFlipStyle
    basketball is not like a cardio session - no jogging non stop. It's more short sprints. She'll need leg strength for jumping and chasing down other players. its not non stop action. there is dead time in practice as well as games. the coaches will give tme for breaks.
    I'm not sure why you seem to get so defensive about this. I'm not insulting you. Besides, I didn't suggest she do marathon training. My first post was about HIIT cardio - sprints. Which you seem to agree with. So..... ?

But hey - if you think for a girls basketball season starting in a couple weeks, she should work on strength (something that requires a long-term plan), instead of what I suggested, which was something she can develop in a couple weeks, no skin off my back.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't train for endurance in the weight room. That is a misappropriation of valuable training time. Max strength and speed-strength are what the weight room is for. Register at http://www.charilefrancis.com/community and post in the strength training section. There are many knowledgable coaches that post in there, and they will be more than willing to help out.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Originally posted by SDFlipStyle
    alright - don't rely on a routine here to help you get a spot on the team. you gotta keep plaing ball.

but here is a two day a week routine that will help you develop strength, keeping the volume low so you can spend the bulk of your time on the court.

for cardio - do suicides ( sprints on the court, up and back to each line ),sprints while dribbling, rebounding drills,
    and do defensive shuffles up and down the court.

hmmm....

But hey - if you think for a girls basketball season starting in a couple weeks, she should work on strength (something that requires a long-term plan), instead of what I suggested, which was something she can develop in a couple weeks, no skin off my back.
    she has two months to prepare.

playing ball every day, lifting twice a week, and doing the drills I suggested every other day, she should be ready to go.

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i play basketball myself, it requires a lot of explosive power and speed, particularly in the legs. you should do plyometrics, as well as running to increase your lung capacity so you can last longer on the field. you definitely need to improve your core strength, especially your abs, so when you jump you can last longer in the air (good for jump shoot and rebound).

if you lift weights, do squats and calve raises, it's very important. you also have to strengthen your shoulder (very important for basketball), so you also need to do military press.
    -Mortality-

Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i think she should learn olympic and power lifts too...
    power clean, snatch pull, power jerk should be part of her training routine in weights room...they are too important to increase power and strenght

endurance training is not useful for basketball

Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

i think the advice to go on Charlie Francis board is fantastic too

Right now, my school's having open gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays for basketball practice. It'll involvle drills, running, and practice games.

I'm good at shooting and all of that, but running is something I need to prepare for. So along with my two open gym sessions per week, I've added two HIT running workouts for 15 min. For strength training, I'm doing upper body twice per week and lower body twice per week.

And of course every day I'm practicing my shooting skills.

How does that sound???

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you really can do both
    if you do a high number of sets with low rep and what for you is a moderatly heavy weight
    then yu should be good
    for both endurance and strength
    relativly little strength is needed tho I imagine you can send a basketball a pretty good distance already
    good luck

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    Well, she's not even on the team, so basketball won't be taking care of it. And there is no cardio - that's what she's debating.

Not to argue this, but if you're going into an endurance sport, where the value for strength is only as a bonus and endurance is what separates the successful from the unsuccessful, I'm not sure how strength is the asset you value at all, early on. After all, if she gains a speck of strength in the next few few but can't stay active for an hour on the court, where is she then?
    You have your strength and fitness qaulities mixxed up.

Basketball is a game of speed-strength endurance, not a game of pure endurance.

I can jog up and down a basketball court for an hr easy, however can i sprint up and down a court for an hr? Can i get into a proper defensive stance once the fatigue sets in? Do i have the mobility, skill, and strength to fight for boards?

Think more along the lines as to what is asked of you by sport and revolove your training around it. That is the first step in becoming a good athlete.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can loose fat also - if you have fat to loose -, that will improve your power to weight ratio.

Originally Posted by FortifiedIron
    You have your strength and fitness qaulities mixxed up.

Basketball is a game of speed-strength endurance, not a game of pure endurance.

I
    Kc
    Mell Siff in Supertraining argues basketball need for 85% short term system to produce energy(anaerobic alactacide) and for15% medium term system (anaerobic lactacide...glycolitic system)..so long term system = oxidative system= endurance is needed equal to zero
    aerobic is useless in basket

do you know who Mell Siff was?...i hope yes

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Stefanogym
    Mell Siff in Supertraining argues basketball need for 85% short term system to produce energy(anaerobic alactacide) and for15% medium term system (anaerobic lactacide...glycolitic system)..so long term system = oxidative system= endurance is needed equal to zero
    aerobic is useless in basket

do you know who Mell Siff was?...i hope yes
    Sure do read my signature. I studied under the guy for a VERY long time.

Now point me into the direction where he stated that in his book.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

page 81