Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Good Bodybuilding Books?

What are some good ones that go really indepth on nutrition, supplements, contest prep, good training, etc. What are some of your best and favorite books?

Thanks

FoxMulder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FoxMulder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FoxMulder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FoxMulder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why do you need a book.. everything you need is on bb.com

Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles Muscles
    You sure about that? Im sure theres a couple of things that are missing on this site. What that could be I have no idea.
    Muscles

Chris1999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris1999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris1999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris1999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris1999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris1999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris1999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Good Bodybuilding Books?

Originally posted by Gene
    What are some good ones that go really indepth on nutrition, supplements, contest prep, good training, etc. What are some of your best and favorite books?

Thanks
    if you want to buy a book, check out arnolds S.'s encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding. The workouts are a bit harsh, most people here think they are overtraining, but other than that, its got a lot of good general info about pretty much every aspect.

JJM07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I second that!

Chris1999 is right about Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It is very informative and loaded with classic pictures of the "great ones." I just recently purchased the book from amazon for $17.50 (soft cover). A must buy for anyone in the sport. Now if I can only get my hands on the classic movie "Pumping Iron"................
    Speed Demon!

Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by FoxMulder
    why do you need a book.. everything you need is on bb.com
    You'd be surprised...

Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: I second that!

Originally posted by JJM07
    Chris1999 is right about Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It is very informative and loaded with classic pictures of the "great ones
    Great book !

Also Target Bodybuilding, by Per Tesch
    Never quit!

2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2demon2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I fourth Arnold's EoMB.

Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm not a big fan of most "bodybuilding" books. Find a good physiology related book and it will teach you the whys and hows.

97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Triple bump for Arnold.
    Supplement Enthusiast

Import Hunter™

219 destroyed since 1996

Old enough to raise ya....

Registered User BodybuildingKid's Avatar
    BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodybuildingKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Quad bump for Arnolds "NEW" EOMB

I own it, its a great book for overall knowledge on bodybuilding, especially for newbies like me, i find it very help full.

if its not in your local book store you cna order it online at amazon or some other place, but amazon is really secure.. and they are really carefull with their delivery's, pz
    "Observe not that which is seen, but that which is not seen." -Dennis Nackord , Kenpo Karate System.

"No pain no ****in gain, GO PSYCHO U ****IN PUSSY, UP THAT ****IN WEIGHT, UP THEM REPS BITCH RAHH"

"I beleive that everything you do bad, comes back to you. So everything i do bad, im going to suffer for it.. But in my heart.. i beleive what i am doin is right.. So i feel like i am going to heaven" - Tupac Shakur June '96

Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000)
    Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.

The first time I commented on this was back in February

K(Same) made an excellent point about how you can overtrain
    using the workout section if your new to Bodybuilding.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...n+bodybuilding

Just be careful to curb back the amount of sets/ reps and days
    to something you can handle.
    Otherwise you may overtrain into fatigue.

But overall an excellent resource.
    I literally refer to it daily.
    It's got it all.
    Never quit!

RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RockECU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    -Essentials of Strength and Conditioning
    -Periodization Breakthrough - Fleck and Kraemer
    -Power Factor Training - Little and sisco
    -Heavy Duty - Mentzer
    -Anabolic Diet - DiPasquale
    -Science and Practice of Strength and Conditioning - Zatsiorsky
    -Designing Resistance Training Programs - Fleck and kraemer
    -Beyond Stretching - Pavel Tstasouline (sp)
    -Anabolic Edge - Paul Borressen
    -Optimum Physique - Jamie Hale
    -Get Buffed - Ian King
    -The Poliquin Principles - Poliquin
    any basic anatomy/physiology book.

i haven't read nearly all of those, but most of those are probably good reads..

Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see one book that is the ultimate for all natural trainees that hasn't been mentioned so:

Beyond Brawn - Stuart McRobert

You can also see some of his work on www.hardgainer.com

Also check out these sites:

www.cyberpump.com
    http://weightrainer.virtualave.net/

And of course my site!
    http://www.angelfire.com/ego/gethuge

"He that teaches us anything which we knew not before is undoubtedly to be reverenced as a master." - Samuel Johnson

1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1fast400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    3rd edition Bill Phillips supplement review (decent general info)

Arnold's Ency

Dynamic Nutrition for Max Performance Dan Gastelu Dr Hatfield

Perscription for Nutritional Healing (not bb, but still a good overall book)

Priming the Anabolic Environment (will brink)

BodyOpus (Duchaine)

If you like to run at all and want to run correctly: Explosive Running (Dr. Yessis)
    Questions? Email me at My65cuda@aol.com

DON'T PM ME

I appreciate every single reply guys, keep the lists comin'

So far I've decided on buying arnold's eomb and a book called Strength Training Anatomy <-- my friend bought this one, and I've never seen anythign like it. Being a biochemistry major who has studied physio and anatomy, this book breaks down like 15 diff exercises for each bodypart and highlights (on an anatomical figure) the muscles worked and to what degree.

So right now I'm getting these 2 for sure, and I'm still looking through some of the others that you guys listed.

Also, any good books on steroids (for educational purposes -- I don't plan on doing anything I'm only 20 and I'm seeing good progress with 4000 cal/day and hard training) just because I'm interested in the subject and the biochem behind it... so something sorta advanced but doesn't completely overlook the basics.

Thanks so far guys.

Gene

Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Gene
    I appreciate every single reply guys, keep the lists comin'

So far I've decided on buying arnold's eomb and a book called Strength Training Anatomy <-- my friend bought this one, and I've never seen anythign like it. Being a biochemistry major who has studied physio and anatomy, this book breaks down like 15 diff exercises for each bodypart and highlights (on an anatomical figure) the muscles worked and to what degree.

So right now I'm getting these 2 for sure, and I'm still looking through some of the others that you guys listed.

Also, any good books on steroids (for educational purposes -- I don't plan on doing anything I'm only 20 and I'm seeing good progress with 4000 cal/day and hard training) just because I'm interested in the subject and the biochem behind it... so something sorta advanced but doesn't completely overlook the basics.

Thanks so far guys.

Gene
    On steroids go with anabolic 2002 and the steriod bible.

furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    anybody familiar with The Edge?

wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Super Squats..great book. Especially if your into workouts that make you puke!
    LG Sciences
    Visit us at www.lgsciences.com

Originally posted by wardog
    Super Squats..great book. Especially if your into workouts that make you puke!

I gotta get that one
    There's nothing like the taste of fresh bile in the morning

Amazon 4 to 5 friggin weeks !!!!

Any place else ?
    Never quit!

wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Amazon is where I got it from bro. You just gotta wait.

Sorry.

As for me, I prefer my bile in the evening.
    LG Sciences
    Visit us at www.lgsciences.com

Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Blacksmith

I gotta get that one
    There's nothing like the taste of fresh bile in the morning

Amazon 4 to 5 friggin weeks !!!!

Any place else ?
    Search here:

http://www.adall.com/

Its a search engine for finding the cheapest prices and it compares shipping time.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ego/gethuge

"He that teaches us anything which we knew not before is undoubtedly to be reverenced as a master." - Samuel Johnson

Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Muscle Mechanics-Everett Aaberg

Pretty much what is says.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever

Sometimes, Preliminary Research makes sense..... ---> A search is a terrible thing to waste!

mightyginger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here's my 2p's worth.

Firstly I've bought quite a few books (about 20) and there are only a few of any note.

Arnolds Encyclopedia is an okay book and does go over the basics, demonstrates exercises and gives you sample diets and training programmes. It's okay for a starter.

Sliced - Jayde Reynolds is a book soley about nutrition. It explains about the different types of carbs, GI index, different types of proteins and fats. It gives a good description on how to construct diets for bulking and cutting. Also covers uses of herbs as anabolic aids. It's a pretty cheap book and is well worth a read.

This last book is possibly the BEST book you can buy and it's not a bodybuilder specific book. It's called Supertraining and is written by Dr Mel Siff. If you want to know exactly how your body works and precisely what is happening when you lifts weights and recover then this is the book. It's a massive book and is quite a read - it goes into everything in amazing depth. There's actually a Yahoo Group focussed around this http://groups.yahoo.com/group/supertraining/ and will give you a feel for what kind of material it covers. The information covered is suitable for bodybuilders, powerlifters, olympic lifters and any other atheletes.

The book is actually quite hard to find, doesn't have an ISBN etc., and I got my copy from westside barbell when I ordered up some of their videos. http://www.westside-barbell.com

Trust me on this - Supertraining is possibly the best book on weights available. Try and get yourself a copy.

Here's a flavour (copied from the supertraining group description)

"Supertraining discusses the theory and practice of sports science, biomechanics, physiology, medicine and psychology in sport, fitness and general health.

It pays special attention to strength training in Olympic Weightlifting, Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, competitive sport and general fitness. Topics include weight & machine training, flexibility, periodisation, plyometrics, Russian training, sports restoration & massage, nutrition, mental preparation, disability training & injury management."

Neil.

furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you should also try allbookstores.com
    its like a my simon for books, I'm a college student and I use it to buy all my textbooks, i saved over two hundred bucks last term

Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Antonio is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I also own sliced. it's actually a good book.

I tried to subscribe to the supertraining yahoo group a long time ago but never got a response. Also, no idea where to purchase the book. I am familiar with Dr. Mel Siff and I've read many of his sports science puzzles and paradoxes and have spent quite a bit of time analyzing them.

wjg5021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wjg5021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Strong bump but aahhhh my school has Supertraining but apparently its out and was due 4 days ago.