pro_kaoz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Need help with buying a bench

Hi

I bought a bench like 8 months ago and it was good for a beginner thing. Now I need to do squats and bench pressing more effectively. However, my rack is way too narrow and it is really painful to put the weight back when I go back.

Link http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

I'm after something that can help me develop more effectively... can you please give your suggestions on these following ones I'm looking at (I'm buying one this weekend)
    1-Proform Fusion- http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family
    2- Gold's- http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

Also- I'm not sure if I need an "Olympic" style bar/weights, my old bench came with the standard 1" size. For that and say 200 pounds of weights, how much do you think that should be? I don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks for looking and please do help a noob.

Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eclectic1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The uprights only have a 210lb capacity. Will this be enough considering you are going to be using it for squatting? I think you will quickly outgrow it. If you're getting one of those benches you won't need Olympic weights. It is only an issue if you are you using the leg extension / curl attachment. And the rods appear to be made for standard plates. IMO, spend some more money to buy a better bench and adjustable racks like these: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...31&postcount=4

Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well in your place I would buy a power rack and a fid bench, but if your on a tight budget I have the perfect idea:

Buy FID bench (powerline,bodysolid,bodycraft) and get those 2 squat stands

Then buy a 300lb weight set, 7 foot bar, curl bar, dumbells handles and your all set!

drnicknick24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yuo should get a smith machce bench like this one

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

this is what i have and it works very good

SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bodybuilding.com-I am one of the many

@ Zacharyia- Well I am not really that strong at all. I am somewhat lanky but I would grow out of 210lbs given some motnhs of dedication (summer). Now I am not using my extension stuff for legs- I think squat is the only thing for legs I really need beside calf raises.

@Joey Mo- I already have some kind of a bench I can remove the weight holders on it to be used as a "FID" bench. Thing is for the power rack, my basement is really low and is only 6 foot (give or take a few inches) high..
    I have dumbells but how much approximately should a 7 foot bar and 200-250 pounds cost? (I can only bench 90lbs for 4 reps which is pretty pathetic comapred to you guys- not sure about squat max but around 180 or so).

@drnick- yea that looks really good. My upper classmen friends that play football suggest I get a full package type workout machine like that...however again I have a 6 foot or so ceiling height.

Thanks for the responses so far. They have been really helpful.

SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SS5800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like i posted before, The Golds Gym bench sounds like just what you need, The bench can be removed for use of a squat rack, The bench itself has Preacher curls and leg curls. It has Safety spotters for squatting which is a HUGE Plus, Its like a mini powerrack in itself.

For a weight set i would say make a run to Dicks sporting goods, they sell a 300 lb olympic weight set for about $100 bucks. I like the Olympic bars because they weigh 45 lbs themselves and can be used for warming up for benching, curling, etc ,etc. But thats your choice.
    Bodybuilding.com-I am one of the many

LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    first of all stay away from proform crap..they make the worst crap equipment out there..I'm a dealer for equipment and we would not ever sell that junk..only waly mart and sporting good stores, because its cheaper and the people who shop there have no idea about equipment, no offense.

most cheap smith machines work terrible ratchet up and down and get hung up..not worth it. golds gym equipment is also crap..you will be sorry if you go with these brands unless you plan and being small and lifting little weight.
    "Freedom isn't free" How quickly we forget.

BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by pro_kaoz View Post
    Hi

I bought a bench like 8 months ago and it was good for a beginner thing. Now I need to do squats and bench pressing more effectively. However, my rack is way too narrow and it is really painful to put the weight back when I go back.

I'm after something that can help me develop more effectively... can you please give your suggestions on these following ones I'm looking at (I'm buying one this weekend)

Also- I'm not sure if I need an "Olympic" style bar/weights, my old bench came with the standard 1" size. For that and say 200 pounds of weights, how much do you think that should be? I don't want to get ripped off.

If you want a GOOD answer you will need to tell me your actual BUDGET before I can recommend anything to you.

Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi

If you're on a budget, then start checking the want ads (E Bay, Craigslist etc) for a power rack/weight set combo. You also may want to post your own "Wanted" ad. There's plenty of good deals out there, but you'll have to have a little patience. Just beware of the IDIOTS that try to sell their used equipment for the same or more than they paid brand new. When you find something you might be interested in, do some research on the price(s), and reviews (if any) of the item(s), and then you'll have a better idea if the deal is worth it.
    Don't complicate things by making things complicated.....

jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jGvasa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    x2
    This bench is a great bench if your within a tight budget. It's very sturdy and strong, and it has spotters! Plus like mentioned the bench slides away so you can squat safely. Nice!

Check craigslist though! I got a powertec utility bench for my squat rack for $150, normally $250

Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jGvasa View Post
    x2
    This bench is a great bench if your within a tight budget. It's very sturdy and strong, and it has spotters! Plus like mentioned the bench slides away so you can squat safely. Nice!

Check craigslist though! I got a powertec utility bench for my squat rack for $150, normally $250
    On the surface, that Golds gym setup may look good, but when you add in shipping http://www.walmart.com/cart.gsp?add_list=5280822,1 and also possibly tax(?), it gets too far into decent equipment pricing territory for it to be a viable consideration. That thing has a "300 pound user limit" ??? WTF does that mean? a 300 pound person? or 300 pounds total capacity for the unit?? For a few more bucks, he could have a Power rack with an 800 pound capacity delivered to his door. He can then just use his existing bench with the power rack, while saving up for a good used bench.
    Don't complicate things by making things complicated.....

BatteryAcd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool help with a bench

For your regular bar, you can get olympic plate adapters, which slip on the ends of the bar to fill the gap.

If your looking for some really solid, reliable equipment you should check out fitnessbeast.com, They freeship on orders on almost everything, and if you drop the name Ben, they'll discount you even more.

Thanks for the respones guys, yea I was thinking about shipping. My budget is basically 300-400$ but spending less and getting "More" would be best for me. And yea the 300 lb limit, what does that mean? The user (myself: 150lbs or myself and the weights...?)

Yeah a friend suggested craigslists and stuff but my parents are really old fashioned and don't believe in online, used buying. They only trust sites like Amazon and retailers like that. So... please respond... getting one within a week...

I would get a power rack but my ceiling height is really low that's the only concern.

fatdaddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm sorry, I didn't read the threads above supposing that the benches being discussed maybe different than my own needs.

Please help me out on this one guys. I'm a fatty that wants to take up lifting. But I've got to deal with a couple of issues.

1. I'm always strapped for cash.
    2. And I don't want my wife to find a big ass bench in my home office.

The type of bench I'm looking for would be the kind that would allow me bench presses. And some ab work like situps. So if it folds, that would be awesome.

So any suggestions?

@fatdaddy I would suggset you stick to pushups, standard crunches/situps and then run alot to burn the fat then gain more muscle. But that's my suggestion.

fatdaddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @fatdaddy I would suggset you stick to pushups, standard crunches/situps and then run alot to burn the fat then gain more muscle. But that's my suggestion.
    Thanks Man.

MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleHead36 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    fatdaddy you could get this for situps. Go to your local walmart and buy it.

jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    An Olympic barbell set is about the best buy you can make in weightlifting equipment. A perfectly serviceable 300 pound set can be had for about $100-$200. (The really really nice ones can cost ten times that.)

Beyond that, I'd save up and get a power rack. Sam's Club has a cheap looking one for a mere $200, or you can get the pretty solid Powertec rack shipped to you for about $370. If you can't afford a rack, get a part-time job or try to talk your parents into pitching in as a Christmas gift or such.