LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Steel cut oats VS Quick Oats

Lately my oatmeal intake has been from quick oats. I've been eating them raw in a bowl of milk with some splenda. Tastes great..

but I wanted to improve my nutrition and get some better gains/fat loss.

So I bought steel cut oats... HOW DO YOU COOK THESE THINGS?!!?!?!?!?!? And it doesn't even look like oatmeal.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cook it the same way, just longer for around 45 mins

i doubt it makes that much of a difference, just a little lower on the gi and more expensive
    i still use it though

Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diab0lic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just eat rolled oats. cheap, low GI, high fibre, no cooking.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    quick oats have a GI of about... like 60 something... while steel cut oats are in the 20's.. like 22-23 or something.. so a "little" lower isn't the word..

are you sure 45 minutes? That's a long ass time!!!!!!!

So I can put it ina standard microwave bowl.... put some milk in there... and pop it in the nuke machine for 45 minutes? I'm thinking by that time the milk will be boiling and evaporated lol

Its wird how this steel cut oats has like TWICE the amount of carbs as regular oats... 1/4 cup is 27G carbs!!!
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

anyone else? Its important... I bought 5LB's of this ****...

Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    quick oats have a GI of about... like 60 something... while steel cut oats are in the 20's.. like 22-23 or something.. so a "little" lower isn't the word..

are you sure 45 minutes? That's a long ass time!!!!!!!

So I can put it ina standard microwave bowl.... put some milk in there... and pop it in the nuke machine for 45 minutes? I'm thinking by that time the milk will be boiling and evaporated lol

Its wird how this steel cut oats has like TWICE the amount of carbs as regular oats... 1/4 cup is 27G carbs!!!
    hehe that sure is a very low gi
    when i said 45 means i meant simmering on the stove top
    Im not sure about microwave but it will be less then 45, thats 4 sure. Try it and see

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    anyone else? Its important... I bought 5LB's of this ****...
    dude, just try it.. cook it how u usually cook ur oatmeal, then check... cook some more.. check and see how long it takes. From then on ull know how long it takes and u wont have 2 check lol

VinceM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can cook steel-cut oats in the micro. easily. I usually put 1/4 cup of oats in the bowl, then add about 1/2 cup of water to it--or just enough to cover the oats. Set the micro. for 2 1/2 minutes (of course, it will depend on the power of your micro.) and watch it closely, because it will begin to rise on you if you leave it in there too long. Then I take the oats out and cover them for a few minutes to absorb the remaining water. After that they're ready to eat.

iceberg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just mix them with water, stir and put in a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. You can eat them raw, also, if you wish.

Originally posted by iceberg
    Just mix them with water, stir and put in a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. You can eat them raw, also, if you wish.
    Ouch, raw? Thats like eating rice raw, i dont think we're talking about the same thing

It probably isn't optimal for one's digestive system, but they're not entirely unpleasant raw.

water? **** I Just had it in the nuker with milk for 5 minutes and it didn't look ready and now its in there for another 5 minutes!!!!

as for eating raw.. the only kind you can eat raw is quick oats. All the other kind your body doesn't have the digestive enzymes to digest it...

Mix it with water and eat it plain, *******. Stop your bitching.

ok its out... this is eatable..

Turns out the oats absorbed all the milk. Its really chewy with a really grainy texture. I put some splenda in there and mixed it well and I Just ate a bowl.

is this how steel cut oats is? Grainy and chewy like that? As compared to regular oatmeal which is like all nice and soft and fluffy and you can pretty much swallow it without chewing.
    Attached Images

Just remember, even though Cliff didn't get any of his sandwich, he got it some of the time. And we ALL know how good those sandwiches were.

lol what the hell are you talking about!?!??

BLiSS420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    would you be doing better nutritionally if you bought steel cut oats and tossed them in a food processor for a few seconds opposed to buying quick oats?

I dunno, I'm new to these things also

I just know you can't eat them raw and there GI-Value is like 23 as compared to 66 for quick oats.

I'm also getting rid of dextrose for pwo... I'm now gonna do quick oats. Or oatbran which I beleive is grinded up quick oats...

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like the whole grain ROlled oats better, they are thicker and more satisfying for me. The steel cut oats remind me of grapenuts or something
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I cook mine on the stove for approx. 30 minutes..you will see when they are ready, they will start sticking at the bottom. I put 4 times the water. So I put the water first, bring to boil, then put the oats and lower stove. So 1 cup of oats with 4 cups of water. Not covered. Stir occasionnaly. The difference between steel cut and reg. rolled oats is that steel cut is twice the calories..so eat less. It's a good bulking food. But it's hard when cutting because you can't eat as many so it's less satisfying.
    Last edited by Helene; 08-26-2004 at 09:24 AM.
    WORKOUT
    M: Full body workout
    T: Off
    W: Full body workout
    T: Off
    F: Off
    S: Full body workout
    S: OFF

Walk dog 1 hour a day.

DIET
    Protein and good fats, low carb

Goal: Loose fat and gain muscle!

Just do it!
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!
    You are what you eat!

willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    I eat them raw in my protein shake no problem.
    Thank you for bumping a thread from 5 years ago
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist
    NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    Working on MA in Sport Psychology

Live to win, don't live not to lose.

cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by willldabeast View Post
    Thank you for bumping a thread from 5 years ago
    Already thanked him for ya.

willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lol he deleted his post so now I look like the jackass....sweet
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist
    NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    Working on MA in Sport Psychology

Live to win, don't live not to lose.