ReD3784 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReD3784 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReD3784 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReD3784 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

why is decline bench so much easier than flat?

Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmm, I'd be more inclined to say that the flat is easier than decline (at least for me).

korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Xanatos
    Hmm, I'd be more inclined to say that the flat is easier than decline (at least for me).
    That's pretty rare..........did you neglect decline for a long time or something? I think it's related to a shorter range of motion.

Either way, weighted dips are better.
    Ní féidir ach le Dia breithiúnas a dhéanamh orm.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by korrrupt2004
    That's pretty rare..........did you neglect decline for a long time or something? I think it's related to a shorter range of motion.

Either way, weighted dips are better.
    It's funny how people believe that weighted dips are better than decline bench because you are moving your body through space, yet when I say that weighted pushups are better than flat bench for that same reason, people **** bricks around here.

korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) korrrupt2004 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by DiamondDelts
    It's funny how people believe that weighted dips are better than decline bench because you are moving your body through space, yet when I say that weighted pushups are better than flat bench for that same reason, people **** bricks around here.

lol, not sure about the bitterness for the boards you have in some respect but I find that weighted dips force you to keep the right form and concentrate on the chest and tris; which I always work out together. Decline on the other hand, when I used to do it, I found that I ended up using my lats as well and generall just didn't get that much in the way of results...........I know where you're coming from though.

PS, I owe you one, you're other thread made me strongly reconsider my rep scheme and just generally do a better job of "leaving my ego at the door."

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol, not sure about the bitterness for the boards you have in some respect but I find that weighted dips force you to keep the right form and concentrate on the chest and tris; which I always work out together. Decline on the other hand, when I used to do it, I found that I ended up using my lats as well and generall just didn't get that much in the way of results...........I know where you're coming from though.

PS, I owe you one, you're other thread made me strongly reconsider my rep scheme and just generally do a better job of "leaving my ego at the door."
    Yeah I understand. My post was not directed at you, sorry if it came across that way. I am glad my other thread was able to help you out. Ego can be the biggest hindrance to growing in bodybuilding. I remember when I was curling up to 150 pounds, military pressing 200 pounds, and had a 300 pound benchpress, all at age 19. Yet my development still sucked in comparison. I kept "ego" lifting up until age 22 when I said **** it, it is time to make a change. S o I reduce the weight, started playing with my grips, used better form with more reps, and did some experimenting. And I have been getting steady results since then.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 08-25-2004 at 08:53 AM.

monkeyface has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you must have been pretty big with those stats of yours

if you could post a link to the thread you mention, i would like to have a read.

Yeah I understand. My post was not directed at you, sorry if it came across that way. I am glad my other thread was able to help you out. Ego can be the biggest hindrance to growing in bodybuilding. I remember when I was curling up to 150 pounds, military pressing 200 pounds, and had a 300 pound benchpress, all at age 19. Yet my development still sucked in comparison. I kept "ego" lifting up until age 22 when I said **** it, it is time to make a change. S o I reduce the weight, started playing with my grips, used better form with more reps, and did some experimenting. And I have been getting steady results since then.

Agreed... I'm gonna save myself some wasted effort and just start now ... the boys fumbling around with the overly heavy weights will be jealous lol

Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's pretty rare..........did you neglect decline for a long time or something?
    Neglected and still neglecting

Havn't really had a need to do declines at this point.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    leverage

Cool

Agreed... I'm gonna save myself some wasted effort and just start now ... the boys fumbling around with the overly heavy weights will be jealous lol
    Noooooo! You must waste a few more years so me and you can be even. Nah, just playing. But this is one of the reasons I believe that it is not good for younger lifters to lift at a gym. It is always that "Keeping up with the bodybuilding joneses" in the gym mentaility in there. Where young people feel the the pressure to lift big weights to keep up with the big boys of the gym. It was when I began lifting at home when I had time to experiment and figure out new **** rather than worrying about what "everyone else at the gym" will think about me.

That reminds me of this big guy named Eric. He was this 220 pound guy who was a former paratrooper and always pushing HEAVY weight around the gym. He would always tease me and call me "Little Girly Man" when he saw me experimenting and lifting lighter weights in the gym. Well I ran into him the other day outside a bar and he still looks the same, while my shoulders and back easily dwarfs his. His eyes were wide open when he saw me, I told him "not to bad for girly man lifting huh", and walked off laughing my ass off.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 08-25-2004 at 09:34 AM.

That reminds me of this big guy named Eric. He was this 220 pound guy who was a former paratrooper and always pushing HEAVY weight around the gym. He would always tease me and call me "Little Girly Man" when he saw me experimenting and lifting lighter weights in the gym. Well I ran into him the other day outside a bar and he still looks the same, while my shoulders and back easily dwarfs his. His eyes were wide open when he saw me, I told him "not to bad for girly man lifting huh", and walked off laughing my ass off.

hahahahaa.. ya a little time and a lot of calculated hard work is the sweetest revenge.

Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What are your stats now, Widebody? Looking impressive from the pics you posted.

Cool

Originally posted by Jotun
    What are your stats now, Widebody? Looking impressive from the pics you posted.
    My stats: 5'11-6", 227-230

Shoulders: 56"
    Lat Spread: 50"
    Waist: 34"
    Arms: 18 1/2"
    Legs (definite weakpoint) Quads: 26 1/2", Calves 16 1/2"

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: why is decline bench so much easier than flat?

Originally posted by ReD3784
    Because you are using an angle that a majority of your pec fibers are contracting in a straighter line (for most people). If you practice them equally, for 99% of people their decline will be higher than their bench.

Also, if you lower the bar to the same place on the pecs (which you shouldn't, but if you do) than the range of motion is shorter on the decline.

zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zelloc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

i feel less range of motion,
    more upper body muscles being used specially shoulders
    blood flow towards upper body must be helping

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's easier due to a very short ROM.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zelloc View Post
    i feel less range of motion,
    more upper body muscles being used specially shoulders
    blood flow towards upper body must be helping
    I'm glad to see that you resurrected a 13 year old thread to put forth your theory that blood flow makes a decline bench easier.

callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Because you are using an angle that a majority of your pec fibers are contracting in a straighter line (for most people). If you practice them equally, for 99% of people their decline will be higher than their bench.

Also, if you lower the bar to the same place on the pecs (which you shouldn't, but if you do) than the range of motion is shorter on the decline.
    correct. The pecs muscle fibres branch roughly from the shoulder to the inner/lower pec, thus, making a downward/outward press the best movement.
    Bench 315 lbs
    Squat 355 lbs
    Dead 510 lbs - will never lift this again :( final destination snap city 26/9/16

Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100) Madmaster333 is not very well liked. (-100)
    It is easier.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Madmaster333 View Post
    It is easier.
    OP asked the question 15 years ago when you were most likely in diapers.