docjbr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lean Mass + Circuit Training

Hey! I just wanted to see if this thing would be advisable. I'm 5'7, 175 lbs, currently at 21% bodyfat. My goal is to trim down my bodyfat by 5% and stay or lose 10lbs, and build up a lean body. I'm a novice bodybuilder, been lifting on and off, and I sometimes find myself falling of the (workout) horse a lot.

My plan is to do whole body workouts, but alternating between 2 types to keep it interesting.

Workout A would be my lean mass builder, 1 exercise per body part, 3 sets of 12/10/8 reps each, mainly using free weights, and sticking to the very basic core exercises: squats, bench press, deadlift, barbell curl, dip, etc.

Workout B would be more of circuit training, 1 exercise per body part, using a machine this time around (maching press, lat pulldown, shoulder machine press, leg press, etc), then doing the whole circuit 3 times. Using machines will give me a chance to keep my heart rate going at a constant pace for fat burning.

I have a discounted gym membership where I get to go T-Th-Sa-Su. Planning to do this T-Th-Sa, alternating Workout A and B, then do cardio on Sundays.

My diet is clean, eating a lot of fiber, high protein, low fat food, and staying off sugar as much as possible. I do play basketball on Fridays too, which I count as cardio.

Will this routine be doing too much? I've tried the whole body all free weights thing, sort of bulked up, but didn't trim down my fat, and I've tried circuit training, but didn't see gains in lean muscle mass. Will doing this alternating thing produce possible results, or am I creating a recipe for disaster? Hope you experts can help. Thanks!