charbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pin loaded or plate loaded lat pull down?

which is better?

i noticed on the parabody systems, they offer the two types, but the plate loaded has a single square column that the weights move on, where as the pin loaded has two round stainles steel columns the weight moves along.

which is better or what is the difference?

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A chin/dip tower is much better, but if you're going with a pull down machine, then plate loaded. You'll eventually outgrow a weight stack IMO. Plus plate loaded is cheaper I believe.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

im really keen on a lat pull down, and i am aware that the plate loaded is cheaper, however, the columns on the 2 systems are different... was just wondering which one is bettter?

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not sure what you mean by columns. Do you have links of what you're considering?
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

This is a good plate loaded one. Has two gliding rods if that's what you mean by columns.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/4650.html

HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    go with the weight stack one, i tried the plate loaded at omni fitness and it dosent go smooth on the square colum

NTAnnin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the parabody plate loaded one and it is very smooth. Obviously the pin loaded one would be more convenient when changing weights and they are said to be a bit more smooth, but my plate loaded one is near gym quality and I have had no problems with it. It's also much much cheaper

yes overload, thats a nice one. Although after consulting the place im buying the equipment from, i was told that there is no difference between the two except for conveinience and weight limit with the pin load. The pin load only caters for 95kgs, where as the plate load can handle more weight which is important if you get stronger.

MarkRMonaco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i definately will say use a plate loaded machine because you have greater control over how much weight you use (all the way down to 2 1/2 lbs). as far as using an iso-lateral pulldown machine goes.. all i use is hammer strength because i can load plate weights independantly per arm. not to mention that it works me harder because i move each arm independantly instead of together with most pin machines (which shares the weight between each arm).
    Last edited by TDragon; 09-16-2004 at 02:56 AM.

stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stvn42088 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I agree with the post above about the Lat Tower/Dip Stand. It is so much more valuable than a lat pulldown machine and it costs less. I know that personally my back started blowing up once I started doing free weight rows and pullups and when I was using the row machine and pulldown machine my back sucked.
    16 yrs. old
    5'10 - 171 lbs.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The biggest difference will be price and stability.

Plate loaded are much cheaper, maybe even 30%. But Selectorized ones are much more stable. Selectorized are a bigger pain in the butt to put together too.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pullup bar+dip belt. Cheaper and much more effective.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A chin up bar and weight belt is awesome, I agree. But the exercises are limited, wheras a lat pulldown you can use from triceps, lats, abs, and biceps.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by smokeater
    A chin up bar and weight belt is awesome, I agree. But the exercises are limited, wheras a lat pulldown you can use from triceps, lats, abs, and biceps.
    That's true. I guess I was assuming he would be using it for some sort of pulldowns. Although in defense of the pullup bar, you can use that for hanging leg raises for abs. Add a light dumbell to make it really hard...

True... dude you're gonna need to do what I did and just buy both of them, lol.

ps24eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    did anyone try the powertec lat pulldown?

Secondly, If you've compared lat pulldowns please be specific!

Dont_quit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ps24eva
    did anyone try the powertec lat pulldown?
    I have it in my gym. It's very nice. It has a two-guide rod design just like commercial selectorized machines. but it's plate loaded. It works really well and has a shroud to hide the pulleys.

EDIT: i'm not sure if i understood the question right- i have the powertec power rack lat/row attachment, not the freestanding unit.

Originally Posted by smokeater
    True, but on the flip side a chin/dip tower is the more economical, better choice still. You can do dips for triceps which is better than pushdowns. Pullups and chinups are better than pulldowns. You can also do close grip press, skull crushers, and DB/BB curls for arms with bars. So IMO there's no need to spend that money on a lat machine when you can get better benefits elsewhere. Money would be better spent on more plates or bars I would think.

Just my opinion though.

ps24eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Dont_quit
    I have it in my gym. It's very nice. It has a two-guide rod design just like commercial selectorized machines. but it's plate loaded. It works really well and has a shroud to hide the pulleys.

EDIT: i'm not sure if i understood the question right- i have the powertec power rack lat/row attachment, not the freestanding unit.

yeah I'm talking about the freestanding unit

dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000) dude544 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Only used pin load. I have a crappy pin load at home (should be replaced with a plate load any day soon) and I have used a pin load at a Miami gym (where I was easily doing almost all of the stack, 300lbs, on my last set). I'd suggest getting a plate load. To get a huge gym weight stack you'll be paying BIG, BIG money. A plate load will give you less stablity but more bang for your buck. I'm having to put up with my lowish pin load atm (60kg) for rep sets so high..it's fruitless. But the plate load should let me go heavy.

As for chins, get a power rack with a chin bar (they come standard on every good rack) and maybe purchase a dip attachment or a stand a lone machine. I own a body solid dip station & it's great (multi hand positions).

You should stop splashing out on a stand alone lat machine. Purchase a lat attachment for your rack (much cheaper). You'll have the benefit of lat pulldowns AND chins. IMO, they are both important, and you'll get the benefit of straight bar pushdowns, rope pushdowns, cable lateral raises, cable curls, preacher cable curls, cable french curls, etc.

All you need is a powerline power rack - 1 of the cheapest racks and strong - i've had 600lbs on - only problem is limited holes.

powerline lat attachment - cheap, not tested yet, tho I think it's the old body solid 1 so it should be good - I get it on Friday.

dip station - the body solid is great.

olympic weights/adjustable dumbbells/olympic bar.