Nocturnal212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I want to start lifting and I can start with a class

First post, hi all.

In short, I'm another scrawny guy (5'8, 140) looking to put on some mass. I haven't looked but I'm sure there is plenty of information for new guys lingering around so I won't bother asking about that.

I move into my dorm tomorrow (college, finally), and have to pick my classes soon. For a PE credit they have both "weight training" and "weight training and conditioning." Can I really put on some muscle mass if I'm doing cardio (the class with conditioning) or should I stick to the one without the cardio etc and start a bulking season.

Thanks.

rip to shreds in progress raymondh's Avatar
    raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    no cardio man, get the mass first, then cut, i wouldn't advice taking a weight lifting class, jsut do it on your own.
    Interested in making an extra $3000+/month from home by working for a publically listed NYSE company? PM your e-mail or AIM address and we'll talk. U.S. Only.

[url]www.futureworks.xs3.com[/url] Professional websites $200-$300 per project. No hourly rates.

eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000)
    imo weightlifting classes are kinda dodgy. they'll want u to folow their routines coz they think they know best. might not work for u. save some cash, buy some equipment and get it done at home, or join a gym.

got cash?
    got ____?

Need2BeBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah dont do cardio if your looking for mass gains man
    Stats

Weight : 467 lbs
    Bodyfat : 1.2% (I'm Off Season Right Now So BF Is A Little High)
    Arms : 28.3 inches (cold)

Lifts
    Bench Press - 987 lbs (raw)
    Deadlift - 993 lbs
    Squat - 1900 lbs

triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, I had to take a college class on that last semester... the prof already could tell that I lifted weights on my own so it was such a waste. For example, he would see me in the fitness center at about 6am every morning and then he would see me later again during the day around 12pm, so he knew I was motivated. Those classes are a) to prevent freshman 15 and b) to motivate people who can't motivate themselves as well as c) to show people how to use everything correctly...

all very lame...

lift on your own.

bbalnisslerod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by triplewhammy
    Yeah, I had to take a college class on that last semester... the prof already could tell that I lifted weights on my own so it was such a waste. For example, he would see me in the fitness center at about 6am every morning and then he would see me later again during the day around 12pm, so he knew I was motivated. Those classes are a) to prevent freshman 15 and b) to motivate people who can't motivate themselves as well as c) to show people how to use everything correctly...

all very lame...

lift on your own.
    very true...however...if the weightlifting instructor will let you make your own routine, (like the PE instructor at my community college) you might as well lift in "class" and get college credit for lifting...just a thought
    Obsessed is a word lazy people use to describe the dedicated

well the thing is im at a liberal arts college (they want you to take all kinds of classes) so i'm pretty sure i have to take a PE credit. I haven't done much lifting on my own so wouldn't it be a good place to start?

ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100) ohashi is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally posted by bbalnisslerod
    very true...however...if the weightlifting instructor will let you make your own routine, (like the PE instructor at my community college) you might as well lift in "class" and get college credit for lifting...just a thought
    College isn't high-school; you have to pay for each and every class you're taking, and there is no point of paying to perform a crappy split when you can use the college gym for free, and use the money towards a class that is actually usefull for your degree.

lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lvhslifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by ohashi
    College isn't high-school; you have to pay for each and every class you're taking, and there is no point of paying to perform a crappy split when you can use the college gym for free, and use the money towards a class that is actually usefull for your degree.
    werd up man ...good info
    NEW*b.w=200
    bodyfat= 17%
    bicep=15in
    quad=25
    height=6'1

GOT MUSCLE?
    "determination is the one and only key that will lead you to own and personal happyness"

yeah but that doesnt change the fact that I have to have a PE credit. Most of the other classes are cardio anyway. What I'm really asking at this point is: will it detract from my lifting in the end?

pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Nocturnal212
    yeah but that doesnt change the fact that I have to have a PE credit. Most of the other classes are cardio anyway. What I'm really asking at this point is: will it detract from my lifting in the end?
    im not in college yet, but here is my view:

since you havent lifted much before, you will learn how to perform the excercises and you will get you PE credits out of the way. You will probably make some gains, but once you finish the class you can create your own split and train on your own.
    ''You can either feel the pain of discipline or feel the pain of regret. The choice is yours.'' - Jim Rohn

-US ARMY-